What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Robbie

Hyper Poster
zazobo said:
I've just come back from Alton and they seemed to have done LOADS of tree/shrub clearance in the area where the flume currently sits. Seems weird that they'd then want to re plant.
It may be that's where the building site base will be (including materials storage). The above explanation about muffling sound might be a good one but it does seem a shame AT aren't taking advantage of all available space.

JSMarsden

Roller Poster
From what I saw on Sunday Monday -> Flume still standing with some foliage cut away, surprised to see flume still standing IMO.

For Chris- Queues on Sunday were decent. Longest queue was 30mins for sonic (it broke down) everything about 25min. Glaactica sometimes peaked at 45, but would be unlucky to get in that. Monday was a walk on for everything, including smiler which had some empty trains going around when they needed to offload

zazobo

Hyper Poster
It's strange though as it's more selective clearing rather than a whole area properly. It's all looking very sparse now!

EthC

Mega Poster
CjzHXSIW0AAdICn.jpg:large

A few notes from the plans as well.

-Reference sound measurement data has been provided by the ride manufacturer, which was taken from similar rollercoaster constructions located in the USA. These are the Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Park in Kentucky, the Wildcat located at Hershey’s Park, Pennsylvania and the Ozark Wildcat, located at Celebration City. Other related reference data has also been used

-The roller coaster structure will be formed from timber elements, predominately made up of Southern Yellow Pine. The rails will be formed from a combination of timber and steel. The build-up will comprise six timber strips fixed on top of one another, with a solid steel rail guider fixed on the top of the strips. The coaster will have steel wheels that will be guided by the steel and timber construction.

- The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation point will not be a concern.

- Low noise magnetic brake systems will also be utilised to minimise the effects of noise from the coaster.

- It is understood that construction programme will commence in September 2016 with completion anticipated for December 2017.

Source: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2 ... 82/page-83 (User Tedthehuman)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The long tunnel looks great. Maybe this won't be as tame as I first thought.

Dave

CF Legend
SW18 for 2018, the 8's all match up, be called Infinite before you know it!

I do like the attention to detail on how quiet it will be.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I wonder if the tunnel is hiding an inversion, like what they did with Smiler. I just can't see Merlin commissioning a "regular" coaster.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ian said:
I wonder if the tunnel is hiding an inversion, like what they did with Smiler. I just can't see Merlin commissioning a "regular" coaster.

If this has a launch though, which doesn't seem too out of the question at the moment, then surely 'Europe's first launched wooden roller coaster' (or even 'World's first TRUE wooden launched roller coaster'), would satisfy Merlin's fetish for firsts enough? And would be easier to sell than an inversion hidden in a tunnel?

EthC

Mega Poster
This was noticed on towers street. It is clutching at straws but is this the inversion that would turn this regular woodie to the gimmicky one that merlin could market the **** out of?
PossibleInversion-768x753.jpg

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, those plans smell like fish - there's something suspicious going on here.

So maybe it'll be... good?

Magnetic lift screams launch to me, as does the fact the start with the tunnel is all high off the ground - with a lift that'd be going way too slow.

It'll be awesome to see GCI step up to the modern woodie!

I love how they did sound tests on Ozark Wildcat like, omg, it'll be silent, like, huh?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Magnetic lift screams launch to me, as does the fact the start with the tunnel is all high off the ground - with a lift that'd be going way too slow.

It'll be awesome to see GCI step up to the modern woodie!

Agreed. I do think this is a really good opportunity for GCI to showcase a new faction of woodies that differ from their more conventional line-up. Fingers crossed.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
From this image
CjzHXSIW0AAdICn.jpg:large

The layout of the sound tunnel looks a bit odd as it stays quite high up...
VFHFXN7.png

and the top of the 'lift hill' has a broad radius...
gE6t4nq.png

which could further suggest the coaster is launched. Might just be the angle though.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, so if it's that high and not launched, why would it be in a tunnel, because it would CRAWL.

The whole lift is shallow tbf.

It's weird I'm confused.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yea I would say that this has definitely got a launched lift hill looking at that.

Or this is going to take forever to generate any sort of speed.

Lofty

CF Legend
I've never been this 'over it' for a coaster project before, but I just can't get excited about this whatsoever. Mainly due to the fact it screams GCI and has such a small footprint of predominantly long sweeping curves - yes, it may have some small gimmicks such as a launched lifthill or an inversion, but every single product that GCI have come out with in recent years has been VERY same-y as their old stuff, you rarely see their track work altering that much and showing variation unless it's a coaster that has large terrain elevation differences, to which this won't.

So yeah. If it is GCI, I won't be excited about it.

Nic

Strata Poster
Lofty said:
So yeah. If it is GCI, I won't be excited about it.

What do you mean, IF?

-Reference sound measurement data has been provided by the ride manufacturer, which was taken from similar rollercoaster constructions located in the USA. These are the Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Park in Kentucky, the Wildcat located at Hershey’s Park, Pennsylvania and the Ozark Wildcat, located at Celebration City.

Sorry, Lofty ;)

Martyn B

CF Legend
How accurate do these plans HAVE to be? That lift looks far too shallow, as does the crest, plus this has a weird looking support frame for a GCI...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Martyn B said:
How accurate do these plans HAVE to be? That lift looks far too shallow, as does the crest, plus this has a weird looking support frame for a GCI...
I'm a little bit sceptical about them too. Not only do they seem a little out of character for GCI (although I'm sort of keen on the idea of them doing something a little different), but it wouldn't be the first time we've had representative plans that turn out to be a little misleading...