What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Credit to Yappo on TTSP:

We interrupt this to bring you good news. You are invited to a celebration of our earth and its beauty. All this noise, all this technology. It's too much isn't it. There's no time or space to think is there. Deep down you know the truth don't you. The technology has now taken the reigns.* How did you get here? Maybe it doesn't matter. What matters is this chance, your opportunity to reconnect with the earth. Come join us near the woods and partake in our celebration. How far you choose to go, that is your own choice. What part you choose to play only you can decide. Be chosen on the night where the living meets the dead. thewelcoming.co.uk

*they used reigns but it should in fact be reins, classic Towers grammatical mistake

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Wait. So SW8 is themed to a secret group who have shunned technology... yet they seem to have the ability to hack a video feed and show runes?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm sure the 12 year old enthusiast me would love that video, but now, just sigh. Just bombard people with symbols that you simply just have to translate, but requires lots of pausing-playing to get it all. It's so lazy and boring. They had the opportunity to be a lot more clever if they wanted to go down the 'let's create mysterious Pagan-esque ruins' route, but instead they've gone for the easiest route which creates so little interest. It's just disappointing.

As for the coaster itself, I reckon it'll be an alright family coaster. Nothing that special, not what it could (and arguably should) have been, but the public will lap it up. It'll fill a gap in their line up and I'll enjoy riding it. No use dwelling on what ifs now.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I actually quite like the use of the code (it doesn't have to be too clever, it's only an advert after all - gives off a LOTRs vibe).

'Be chosen on the night where the living meets the dead' - are they gonna do something on Halloween then? Have I missed something? Or is this just a nod to another very un-family friendly theme?

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
'Be chosen on the night where the living meets the dead' - are they gonna do something on Halloween then? Have I missed something? Or is this just a nod to another very un-family friendly theme?

That would be Halloween, wouldn't it (31/10/17)? That does roughly fit with the time AT reveals their new attractions for next year.
Also don't think Fireworks will have anything to do with SW8 yet, it's a bit too soon. I imagine 2018's Fireworks will be all about SW8 though.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Everyone is talking about a 'reveal' but what exactly is there to reveal? We know it's a family woodie themed to the wicker man that doesn't have a launch and has a big wickerman statue. I know Joe public won't be paying as much attention, but still.

Pear

Strata Poster
I'm more excited to see what stupid world's first gimmick they're gonna try and pull this time

Lofty

CF Legend
Marketing campaigns aren't based on enthusiasts, though. So they do indeed need to release this into the public.

I'll [sadly] be there on Halloween, so if anything does in fact happen, I'll let y'all know.

scw55

Hyper Poster
A lot of people who I talk to about this coaster have no idea it's even happening. This is North Wales. They do need to promote this thing.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
A lot of people who I talk to about this coaster have no idea it's even happening. This is North Wales. They do need to promote this thing.
I've been in rooms full of non-enthusiasts, minding my own business and have heard something like:

'Have you seen Alton Towers new ride'
Yeah, It's wooden, I can't wait to ride it!'
'Me too!'

(Oh It's happened on several occasions)

Smithy

Strata Poster
I've been in rooms full of non-enthusiasts, minding my own business and have heard something like:

'Have you seen Alton Towers new ride'
Yeah, It's wooden, I can't wait to ride it!'
'Me too!'

(Oh It's happened on several occasions)

o5ECfhL.gif