What's new

Alton Towers, Price rises AGAIN!

Pierre

Strata Poster
The Tesco thing was because they were inflating prices then reducing them/slapping offers on them immediately. They needed to be that price for two weeks or something but they were only like it a couple of days.

Mark

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
Just to jump in on something that was said earlier.

People who point out that no one pays full price because people always get 2 4 1. This is true for the british. But thanks to the British's general ignorance of other languages its the holiday makers who may not speak good English who get screwed. I've managed to get deals at parks in China and Korea while travelling because they have English language versions.

The holiday makers who come to the UK will end up paying full price simply because they wont have seen the 2 4 1 vouchers you see in British papers and food items.

You would be surprised tbh. When I was at MT I was surprised by just how many people who were clearly overseas visitors had things like the Tesco BOGOFs. Besides that a great deal of them had bought their tickets from tour operators like Big Bus and so on. Id say that the percentage of overseas visitors paying full price at our attractions is only marginally higher than that of domestic visitors.

Pierre said:
The Tesco thing was because they were inflating prices then reducing them/slapping offers on them immediately. They needed to be that price for two weeks or something but they were only like it a couple of days.

Indeed. Of course, I know this isn't how Merlin are going about it, but they are overinflating their prices just so that they can then have most people use a BOGOF anyways. Like Joey said, it creates this notion of great value.

For me personally, I think that £25 would be great value and I would happily pay that for a day out in a great place (if that were the standard price). With a standard price of £46 (only £5 cheaper than DLP and that includes both parks btw) which I think it is extortionate, there is no way in hell I would go unless I was using a BOGOF. It works out that IF you only get on each coaster once and nothing else, you are paying £5.85 per coaster. Ordinarily I would say that this idea is ridiculous because you are bound to also get on other rides and so on but in the case of Alton Towers on a not great day, you would be lucky to get on all the coasters in a single day let alone other rides etc.

nealbie

CF Legend
roomraider said:
Just to jump in on something that was said earlier.

People who point out that no one pays full price because people always get 2 4 1. This is true for the british. But thanks to the British's general ignorance of other languages its the holiday makers who may not speak good English who get screwed. I've managed to get deals at parks in China and Korea while travelling because they have English language versions.

The holiday makers who come to the UK will end up paying full price simply because they wont have seen the 2 4 1 vouchers you see in British papers and food items.

Again, I agree with Mark.

From experience at Thorpe, foreigners also come with a million BOGOFS from various sources. The only thing I've noticed is they don't fully understand the terms & conditions so you have to explain the best way to get them in cheapest.

I think it naive and somewhat xenophobic to think people in other countries don't do what we do when looking at a holiday and searching the internet for the cheapest deal!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I think it naive and somewhat xenophobic to think people in other countries don't do what we do when looking at a holiday and searching the internet for the cheapest deal!

That's not quite what I meant. I include us British in this completely. I used Alton towers as the example as that's what we were talking about but I've seen British tourists do exactly the same thing at Terra Mitica and Dream World (Thailand) when deals were available just not written in English.

I will bow to your experience if you've seen lots tourists use them in parks here but In my experience its not always the case and people end up paying these over the top prices without knowing better.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well its like how Disneyland Paris lets the parisian locals have some seriously big discounts compared to the brits. Also if you look on the Disney site itself and try to book using euros, its considerably cheaper, but it won't let you proceed without a french postcode.

Most major parks are like this.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
^ That's different though - they are arguably offering the discount because those people have to deal with Disney ****.

No matter what the price of anything is, I look for discounts. I expect all parks to have some form of discount available somewhere. Even if the price was £10, I'd expect to find a discount.

I was put off going to Paulton's park because it was £20 and there was no discount anywhere.

That's why high prices with big discounts make more sense than low prices to start with. I'm not fooled if the end result is still an unreasonable price, but £25 for a premium theme park isn't unreasonable. £20 for Paulton's is.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Pierre said:
^ I'll do it from 2006 - Neal's original comparison using the wayback machine.

Alton Towers
2006 on the day - £29.50
2006 internet - £23.00
2013 on the day - £46.20 (57% increase)
2013 internet - £34.65 (51% increase)

Thorpe Park
2006 on the day - £28.50
2006 internet - £23.00
2013 on the day - £45.60 (60% increase)
2013 online - £24.99 (9% increase)

Chessington

2006 on the day - £29.00
2006 internet - £27.00
2013 on the day - £43.20 (48% increase)
2013 internet - £32.40 (20% increase)

Drayton Manor (no online discount in 2006)
2006 - £20.95 for peak times (school holidays/weekends)
2013 on the day - £36.00 (72% increase)
2013 internet - £20.00 (5% decrease)

Flamingo Land (no online discount in 2006)
2006 - £19.00
2013 on the day - £30.00 (58% increase)
2013 internet - £27.00 (42% increase)

Tussauds/Merlin Annual Pass
2007 (no data on wayback for 2006) new - £95.00
2007 renewal - £75.00
2013 standard online - £143.00 (51% increase)
2013 standard on the day - £159.00 (67% increase)
2013 premium online - £176.00 (85% increase)
2013 premium on the day - £195.00 (105% increase)
2013 renewal (standard) - £111.00 (48% increase)
2013 renewal (premium) - £137.00 (83% increase)

So there we have it - its the Annual Pass price that's always annoyed me, things have changed as in whats included however you could argue that the new attractions that come in weren't much of a substitute for the ones that departed (the european parks). Also the fact there was one pass that included everything in 2007 whereas in 2013 the standard pass doesn't include free parking and also restricts certain dates.

For parks standard entries they're all around the 50-60% increase so its hard to criticise one park for price increases not going with the rate of inflation.

I've just noticed Flamingo Lands on the day ticket price for 2015 and was horrified. It prompted me to look at others and revisit this post...

2015 Prices

Percentage increases based on 2013 prices....

Alton Towers
On the day £50.40 (9.1% increase)
2-6 Days in advance £45.36 (30.1% increase)
7+ Days in advance £37.80 (9.1% increase)

Thorpe Park
On the day £49.99 (9.6% increase)
Advance weekend £29.99 (20% increase)
Advance midweek £24.99 (no change)

Chessington
On the day £46.00 (6.5% increase)
1-4 Days in advance £31.00 (4.3% decrease)
5+ Days in advance £26.00 (19.75% decrease)
Advance tickets have a rainy day guarantee, allowing guests to come back for free if it rains for more than one hour

Drayton
On the day £36.00 (no change)
1-7 Days in advance £25.00 (25% increase)
7+ Days in advance £20.00 (no change)

Flamingo Land
On the day £37.00 (23.3% increase)
Advance £31.00 (14.8% increase)

Annual Pass
2015 Standard Online £169.00 (18.19% increase)
2015 Premium Online £209.00 (18.75% increase)
2015 Standard Online Renewal £129.00 (16.21% increase)
2015 Premium Onlline Renewal £159.00 (16.06% increase)

rich210uk

Mega Poster
The price of the hotel at AT astounds me more that the gate prices. At the end of April, mid week, off peak they want £446 for 2 nights. Themed rooms are nearly £600 and one of the new tree houses are coming up at £1200 for 2 nights, yep, £1200!!!! :shock:

Smithy

Strata Poster
Haha aye I once made the mistake of thinking about staying at their hotel, till I saw the price.

Out of all the prices Pierre's compiled, the Merlin parks are a rip but I was quite impressed with £20 for Drayton, to the extent I may actually visit at some point this season.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Alton's hotel prices are appalling, especially when the rooms are just glorified Travelodge rooms!

Martyn B

CF Legend
£37 for Mingo is pretty bad considering they don't have many, if any, discount vouchers (well they didn't when I looked last year).

3Dimensions

Mega Poster
Student tickets for Alton are £25ish, depending where you get them. If you get them from an SU (if you're studying nearby) then that's probably the price you'll pay, but otherwise you'll have to ring the corporate discount number up and quote your NUS card number. Obviously sucks if you aren't a student, but you're more likely to be earning anyway.

Thorpe with my college was about the same price - but that was an organised trip with group discounts (and included travel).

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^****, I never realised they did a discounted ticket for students...especially not that much of a discount. I have an NUS card as well. Ahh well, I'll know next time :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I would love to know what the average amount each guest pays when you add everything together, including annual pass sales, and divide it by the attendance. It must be less then £20, surely? I bet at Chessie it's barely a tenner..

There is no way ticket sales are their main profit. This is why I've never understood why they don't invest in proper restaurants and stuff and later hours to keep guests for dinner. Chessington are trying with their hotel eateries it seems, lots of signs out. But you need a big sit down coffee place at chessie's entrance like Alton have at the top of towers st and Thorpe have in the dome.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
£37 for Flamingoland is amazing. My first season working there it was £9.50.

Those annual pass prices are equally brilliant. The top one is the same price as the top-level annual pass at Hong Kong Disneyland.

3Dimensions

Mega Poster
Jordanovichy said:
^****, I never realised they did a discounted ticket for students...especially not that much of a discount. I have an NUS card as well. Ahh well, I'll know next time :p

But if your students union doesn't have them, you then have to ring the number and it costs quite a bit more than a normal call, still cheaper than booking online though!

llamafarmer

Roller Poster
AT and TP are like Pizza Hut - you're not supposed to pay full price.

You could survive a winter burning all the vouchers they throw at you in newspapers, shops, internet, etc, etc

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
There is no way ticket sales are their main profit. This is why I've never understood why they don't invest in proper restaurants and stuff and later hours to keep guests for dinner. Chessington are trying with their hotel eateries it seems, lots of signs out. But you need a big sit down coffee place at chessie's entrance like Alton have at the top of towers st and Thorpe have in the dome.
Yeah, you'd think if they put a Pizza Hut or Nandos (or their own-brand equivalents) near the entrances they'd be packed at chucking-out time.