What's new

Alton Towers | Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure | kiddie

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
From TowersStreet:

Following a visit to the park as part of the resort’s Festive Breaks event, TowersStreet has noticed construction work ongoing where The Beastie was located in Adventure Land. The park’s former children’s coaster closed in 2010 and remained in it’s location fenced off from guests until it’s removal before the 2013 season kicked off. The Space Adventure play equipment, which was previously located in front of The Beastie’s former home has also been removed.

At present, there’s no official word on when a new attraction will be coming, but it has long been rumoured that a coaster would eventually be brought in to replace The Beastie. A new attraction would fill a massive gap left in the ride lineup since The Beastie’s closure as the park’s only children’s coaster over 4 years ago. With the success of 2014’s new addition CBeebies Land located right next to the site, it’s also possible that any new attraction would form part of an extension.

Pictures taken today (Friday 2nd January) appear to show new concrete foundations have been laid along with a construction fence, which has replaced the large blue steel fence which previously blocked off the area.

10848722_805458136191299_7066364355844995253_o1-400x300.jpg

10848733_805458779524568_455601564847184659_o1-400x300.jpg

10869509_805458462857933_4121821969293289345_o1-400x300.jpg

10916335_805458349524611_8587709009018047869_o1-400x300.jpg

Let the speculation begin, I wouldn't be surprised if a little kiddie cred arrives or maybe an extension of the Cbeebies area (I think they're near to each other, not too hot on pre-2011 Alton Towers).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: New attraction for former Beastie site?

Yeah, based on the size of the area of land, I wouldn't expect much. A Family coaster at best.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Yeah, based on the size of the area of land, I wouldn't expect much. A Family coaster at best.
I don't think anyone is expecting more than a kiddie coaster and maybe a small flat ride, it's something the park desperately needs in that area.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I'm expecting a little kiddie cred to be honest, maybe something as grand as a family coaster.

a. this is the one traditional theme park attraction the Cbeebies area is missing.
b. apart from Thirteen (which is the higher end of 'family coaster') and the RMT there isn't anything else for kids in the coaster department, I think this will be a nice addition if they choose to go down that route.

Another flat isn't out of the question but I don't think I'm expecting it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Wait, this is Alton Towers? I wasn't informed. :p

In that case, then yes, a kiddie coaster is most definitely needed. I think a Vekoma Roller Skater would fit perfectly.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

I've heard Zierer have been mooted for this one...

Bear in mind, this will be for kiddie kids like the rest of the area, a Roller Skater will be too big...

Martyn B

CF Legend

That area is lot larger than I remember, a small roller skater would fit snug.

Port Aventura has one for their Sesame Street area, so I wouldn't say they're too big for cbeebies.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

A roller skater is for kids, it depends on how it's themed though Tbh, it would fit in great in this section of the park and will give a bit more diversity to the ride line up in Cbeebies land.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I reckon it'll be one of those little spinning coasters like Flamingoland have. The area is small when you take into account a queue line too and it would a perfect coaster for the age group they're aiming at.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

It can't be anything significant otherwise they would have to apply for planning permission. Over near the hotels, there are plans in for permanent structures such as zip wires etc.

I doubt we'll see a kiddie cred here, most likely a playground.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

^ But they have just ripped up a play ground to make space for whatever is going here.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Good point, but I can't see it being anything special if there is no planning permission in. Unless they don't need planning permission on ground already in use. If they are investing a fair bob on the new lodges, obstacle courses and something else, then I can't see them spending much on this new attraction. Merlin's budgeting changed when they went public. They work on a five year budget cycle - small sums for years 1-4, then a bigger budget in year 5. By my reckoning, Alton's 2015 season is year 3, so I don't expect much money being spent on this attraction. We shall see.

peep

CF Legend

Maybe they've decided to finally build that coaster for babies

I can't see this as a large investment, Ian has pointed out why. Still, nice to know they're finally doing something with that land.

marc

CF Legend
New attraction for former Beastie site?

Was it not said ages ago that they don't need permission in this area and that how they just got away with Spinball?

They don't need a vekoma kiddie coaster as they have 13.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It's replacing a coaster, so as long as it isn't significantly bigger, I think they can replace like-for-like and get another coaster in there. A play area would replace the dung heap I guess though?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster

It's in the GDO area so they don't need planning permission, like the smiler.

I'm hoping for a nice Mack Youngstar :p

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

Please, god, not a Zamperla - have they ever made a coaster that doesn't suck?

Alex23

Roller Poster

Yeah I can echo what was said earlier it's in the GDO so no planning permission is needed. Unfortunately I've heard from three people it's Zamperla so it looks like that might be the case :(

Temleh

Mega Poster

furie said:
I reckon it'll be one of those little spinning coasters like Flamingoland have. The area is small when you take into account a queue line too and it would a perfect coaster for the age group they're aiming at.

Sonic's Junior Spinball? cool)