What's new

Alton Towers and Lego Land PTR - Mayish 2009

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Alton Towers... WOOOOO .. sorry about some of the photos, only had my phone, but some of them are pretty decent... some of them are very photo shopped as well ;)

Had a brilliant time here, especially as we haven't been there in so long. The weather forecast wasn't that great, so we werent expecting it to be a fantastic day, but we were so wrong. Me and Jane decided to take the walk up to Forbidden Valley, past the newer attractions which we hadn't seen before.

Battle Galleons was a bit disappointing to look at, it just seemed to be placed too far away from the other attractions in that area. It didn't really feel as if it was part of the Mutiny Bay area. The Sea Life area was exceptional however.

13052009386.jpg

The area as a whole was very tastefully done. Theming inside and throughout the exhibits was brilliant. This was by far a much better attempt than the similar attraction at Chessington. Although, seeing as Alton is a bigger park, this was expected i guess.

13052009388.jpg

Onwards to Forbidden Valley. A Quick stop at Duel and the Mine Train. Both were so much better than I remembered, I think this was due to the fact that both seemed to have new, or at least working effects this time round. For example, for fog in Duel and smoke effects on RMT. Really good beans.

The whole journey up we were talking about getting on Nemesis again. Its just pure brilliance. I forget how good, and how lucky we are to have such an iconic coaster in the UK. Its brilliant to look at, and to ride it is even better. So forceful, yet smooth. Age, if anything, has done this coaster justice. Everything has grown into the ride. So it looks like its been there forever now, its become “one with its surroundings” (Some seriously edited photos here!

13052009392dss.jpg

13052009394.jpg

13052009396.jpg

13052009442.jpg

Onto Air now. Wasn't really expecting much from this, as I remember it just being that little bit lame. And its true. Even now, with the trees and other things grown in now, it looks so out of place next to Nemesis and Ripsaw. It rides pretty well, with some nice forces in the back, its just not that great!

13052009389s.jpg

Of to the other side of the park in the new Sky Ride cars. Very nice. Its easy to see that some money has been put into this. Some new parts to the stations, and the new cars themselves looking very smart. Can't beat the views from it either.

Spinball first. Normally a good ride, but had such a disappointing spin. Also, pretty painful! I just got whipped round a bit to much on the drop into the lower of the two I dunno... ??“turnarounds”??.

13052009401.jpg

Took some persuasion to get Jane onto Oblivion, had to play the “but you've been on it before” card. It worked eventually. It was so good. Just brilliant. I still get that funny feeling that I got when I first went on it. Nothing at the Towers gives you this same rush. I did notice that you are no longer held for 3 seconds... more like 1. Still awesome though.

13052009402.jpg

Now Alton's masterpiece called Hex. I think I'm one of the few people that is able to ride this over and over. The attention to detail is intense, the story good, and watching the reaction on peoples faces who haven't been on it before, priceless. Took a de-tour and walked around the towers too. I love doing this, going on the roof for some spectacular views.

13052009409n.jpg

13052009411h.jpg

SAGGY TITS

13052009413o.jpg

13052009416h.jpg

13052009418u.jpg

Rita was shut for the day, which annoyed me a bit, but never mind, these things happen. So weird not having Cork there any more. Such an empty place. And Ug Land/Thunder Valley is having some serious identity issues.

So, instead of Rita, why not Charlie and his magical factory of disappointment. I have a feeling that if there wasn't so much hype to this ride, it would have been a lot nicer. Instead of the mediocre river ride, and even worse simulator thing at the end. Good, but not even worth a 15min queue imo. On a lighter note, the newly renovated Cred Street, “Bogey Woolly Land” :p is looking neat and tidy now. However I feel that the Ug Swinger doesn't look permanent enough now it sits above some really steep steps.

13052009426.jpg

Now, by this time we had managed to get everything we wanted to done. So we though, “hey, lets walk through the gardens”. On one hand, its beautiful, but on the other, its a bitch to walk back to Forbidden Valley after.

This time I walked much deeper into the gardens, and came across things I have never seen before. Such as a random road that I didn't dare walk up. The pumps that im guessing take the water to the top of the valley, or to some other random place. And a very stagnant looking pond. :S

13052009427q.jpg

13052009430g.jpg

13052009433iqm.jpg

13052009438y.jpg

And that kinda concludes the Alton part of this. But just a few geeky things to add in here:

Q times were generally below 10mins for everything, had one 20min Q for Air though.
Everything was re-ridden at least once, apart from Hex.
Spent around 2 hours in the towers and gardens, If you haven't already... go have a look!
Nemesis sounds awesome
Was a bit random to see Alton using characters.. the Ape thing, a Bear and some pirates.

So time for a few added bonuses in the form of Lego Land.

I visited here a fair few weeks ago now, but never really reported on it. So here's just a few pictures taken from the day, again on my phone, so they aren't toooo great, but still worth a peek :p

Not going to dive into to much detail. Was a really good day, spent it with my Brother, his wife and two sons (my nephews :p), and Jane of course. Going to somewhere like this with kids just makes it so much better and more enjoyable. And they behaved themselves so much, and went on everything!

Was a busy day, but not so much that we didn't get most things done. Highlight of the day was probably the crazy amount of re-rides on the Dragon at the end of the day.

19042009304.jpg

19042009317.jpg

19042009318.jpg

19042009324.jpg

19042009329.jpg

19042009330.jpg

19042009338.jpg

Cheers for looking ;)