What's new

Alpine coasters

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I'm lucky to have ridden one in the snow:

Here's what I thought, posted in the trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35767

I said:
Whilst in Austria, skiing, I stumbled across one of the most obscure coasters I have yet to ride - The Lucky Flitzer in Flachau, Austria. It's quintessentially classified as an Alpine Coaster, made by the German Manufacturer Wiegand, and at 1080 m is surprisingly short for an alpine coaster. The ride vehicle, designed for all weather (including snow) features a detachable cover and is propelled up the undulating lift hill by a cable lift and then speeds downhill through many convolutions and quite forceful helices. You have to manually brake the coaster; a positive aspect since you can go as fast as you wish without compromising your safety too much, although you are greatly restricted by the comparative speed of the rider in front, who, alluding to Murphy's law, most often happens to be moving at antagonizing slowness. Overall, an odd quirky coaster with a beautiful setting...for a coaster it's comparatively diminutive, but is extremely enjoyable and even slightly forceful!

I still cannot comprehend why they aren't classed as credits...
-Method of propulsion with sections powered by solely gravity
-A car/train with proper wheels.
-Proper steel track
-Even catwalks!

Anyway, I'll be riding two+ more in the summer when visiting Austria, so I'm extremely excited about them and will, of course, be filming POVs. Sadly, the IMST is approximately three hours from my abode. :(

TilenB

Strata Poster
They are simply great, I've ridden one this December and one back in August. Nocky Flitzer in Turracherhöhe was simply brilliant, a lot of headchoppers, thight turns, also a cool bridge somewhere in the middle of the course. If I were counting these, it would certainly be in my top 10

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
CoasterCrazy said:
I
I still cannot comprehend why they aren't classed as credits...
-Method of propulsion with sections powered by solely gravity
-A car/train with proper wheels.
-Proper steel track
-Even catwalks!

At no point is it able to travel UP hill on its own momentum (None of the Alpine Coasters feature rises in elevation without a cable lift assist) . Because it's speed is 100% self controlled a rider in a fully stopped car would not make it up any incline. Something along those lines are why I won't call it a true coaster. (Because even your bobsled coasters ((Mack/Intamin)) can still go up hills)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hey look! I rode one in Jamaica!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBoqIP9TMPw[/youtube]