What's new

Adventureland, Iowa | The Monster | Gerstlauer Infinity

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I may stand corrected, but are we sure this is LSMs, not just basic magnets?

I would think static magnets (like those found on Schwarzkopf brake runs or the launch tracks of Intamin Accelerators) would be a much more practical solution.

The main difference being that the term "LSM" means they are electromagnets - which I'm not sure is the case here. LSM fins can be used as static magnetic brakes on brake runs, but they can ALSO actively accelerate the train. Static magnets only do the stopping part.

I can't really see why, if this does have a chain lift like the Smiler, they'd bother putting all the wiring and control systems on. Semantics I know, but then we are coaster nerds... :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Pink Panther said:
So LSMs can do both jobs because the force they exert can be controlled...?
Not quite. Well... sort of. :lol:

The fins on the track for LSMs are not permanently polarised, they're electromagnets. They're basically a metal plate with some wires wrapped around them. If there's no power applied, they're just a chunk of steel. Once you apply the current to the wires, you generate a magnetic field in the plate. Conversely, the fins on the track for static magnets are just steel plates. No polarisation, no wiring, nothing.

In both cases, the fins on the train are permanent magnets. They're glorified versions of those little bar magnets you do experiments with in school.

A normal magnetic brake (like those found on the brake runs of Schwarzkopf and B&M coasters - among many others) works by the magnet on the train passing the plate on the track. This causes a magnetic field to be generated in the static plate (through a phenomenon called "Eddy currents"), the strength of which is dependent on the speed of the two objects relative to each other. This newly generated magnetic field opposes the motion of the permanent magnet, and slows the train down*.

*A side note - because the braking force is dependent on the speed of the train, you can never truly stop the train using standard magnetic brakes.

So as you can see, if an LSM has no power supplied it behaves just like an 'old fashioned' magnetic brake. After all, it's simply a static steel plate with a magnet passing past it.

Where LSMs are really neat, is that if you do run a current though the windings, you can generate a magnetic field in the fin on the track. This means you can push and pull the magnet on the train, allowing you to accelerate the train (at essentially any rate you like - provided you have the amperage available).

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
(unfortunately) The trains made it Iowa in one piece!
Plus the coaster is supposed to open early June. Testing won't begin immediately.

Also, their promo designs are breathtaking!
12274445_912143475535705_6538085447861111701_n.jpg

12274556_912143418869044_1174879646174107293_n.png

Ireeb

Mega Poster
@Hixee I made a presentation in physics class about that exact topic, nice how you broke that 15 minutes presentation down into one post without leave anything important out (well I had a POV of bluefire and also LIM in that presentation). When I saw the chance to bring rollercoasters into an exam situation, I just did that.

Also, it looks to me like the normal Gerstlauer anti rollback, which doesn't make any sound and allows to let the trains run backwards slowly and controlled. While the second functionality can be really helpful, I can't completely understand why they'd try to get rid of the popular clicking sound, since many people think that it just belongs to a rollercoaster and makes you even more excited.

On the other hand, an LSM lift is not impossible. I also saw one on the concept of skyscraper skyplex rollercoaster, but I don't think it would make sense to use it here. I am actually curious how strong these LSMs are of they have to lift the whole weight of the train, and how much they can accelerate it against gravity.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ireeb said:
Also, it looks to me like the normal Gerstlauer anti rollback, which doesn't make any sound and allows to let the trains run backwards slowly and controlled. While the second functionality can be really helpful, I can't completely understand why they'd try to get rid of the popular clicking sound, since many people think that it just belongs to a rollercoaster and makes you even more excited.
The argument is possibly that you've already got the fins on the train (for the main brake runs), so why not use them for the anti-roll backs too? Saves you adding sprung loaded anti-roll back chain dogs (not sure if this is the right term?).

Ireeb said:
On the other hand, an LSM lift is not impossible. I also saw one on the concept of skyscraper skyplex rollercoaster, but I don't think it would make sense to use it here. I am actually curious how strong these LSMs are of they have to lift the whole weight of the train, and how much they can accelerate it against gravity.
Wicked at Lagoon sort of has an LSM lift, it's a flat launch followed by a vertical section of LSMs:

aabtfha

So definitely possible, but I don't see what it really achieves over a conventional chain? In Wicked's case it makes sense as it follows the flat launch, but on a conventional coaster I'm not sure...

Lofty

CF Legend
Pink Panther said:
(unfortunately) The trains made it Iowa in one piece!
Plus the coaster is supposed to open early June. Testing won't begin immediately.

Also, their promo designs are breathtaking!
12274445_912143475535705_6538085447861111701_n.jpg

12274556_912143418869044_1174879646174107293_n.png

Quite potentially the worst thing I've ever seen. As a designer myself, it actually offends me.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
Quite potentially the worst thing I've ever seen. As a designer myself, it actually offends me.
As a non-designer myself, it actually offends me. :lol:

Lofty

CF Legend
This branding was clearly 'in house' as it SCREAMS of 'someone who downloaded a cracked version of PS' and not a designed piece. Parks need to seriously get a **** grip.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The Microsoft Office 97-era inspired word bubble getting cut off at the top is the icing on the cake.
Have you seen their website? Their in house graphic designer is on the brink of starting an artistic movement. ~WordArt revival~

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
Lofty said:
As a non-designer myself, it actually offends me. :lol:

As a going-to-be designer it offends me as well. Looks like a no-name 50ct energydrink (especially since there actually is a "Monster" energydrink).

Lofty said:
This branding was clearly 'in house' as it SCREAMS of 'someone who downloaded a cracked version of PS' and not a designed piece. Parks need to seriously get a **** grip.

I have Adobe CC for like half a year and I could do it better :p

I can understand why they used the LSM on that skyscraper polercoaster, with the normal speed of a chain lift it would take an eternity to reach the top, the LSMs are probably a lot faster. On that coaster you showed (it isn't a Eurofighter, is it?) it is a thrill element, a follow up to the initial launch. On monster I don't see why they'd put it as a vertical lift, that's why I think it is just the anti rollback, until proven otherwise.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ireeb said:
I can understand why they used the LSM on that skyscraper polercoaster, with the normal speed of a chain lift it would take an eternity to reach the top, the LSMs are probably a lot faster. On that coaster you showed (it isn't a Eurofighter, is it?) it is a thrill element, a follow up to the initial launch. On monster I don't see why they'd put it as a vertical lift, that's why I think it is just the anti rollback, until proven otherwise.
The only other thing the LSM offers is that you don't have a really heavy chain/cable to deal with - once you've got everything installed.

Wicked at Lagoon is actually made by Zierer, although I don't know how much "custom" work was done for Lagoon. RCDB lists it as the only Zierer Tower Launch Coaster, and I'm not aware of any other models like it off the top of my head. Lagoon do have a history of custom coasters, most notably their mental new(ish) coaster Cannibal. Someone else might know a bit more about the history behind these coasters, but we're getting a little off topic now, so perhaps that's a discussion for another day!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It seems quiet so have some pics :)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterNerds/status/729112648592187392[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterNerds/status/729074705974452224[/tweet]

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/102775329805861/photos/a.103373356412725.7493.102775329805861/1005849516165100/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1005346086215443&id=102775329805861[/facebookpost]

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Tehshting Vid E-O:

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/102775329805861/videos/1007087556041296/?fref=nf[/facebookpost]

Hangtime much?

Edited to embed. - ECG

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I feel like Gerstlauer really likes hangtime. Just look at the rolls in the beginning of the Smiler or Karacho.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It's cool the first half is very hang time oriented and the second half traverses the elements much more quickly. I'm not sure what that airtime hill is supposed to do...