What's new

A tour of Eastleigh, my home town.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
For those of you that follow me on Twitter and actually read it, you may have known that I had to spend three hours killing time in Eastleigh while my car was being repaired.

I thought I'd take this lucky opportunity to show you even luckier guys around my home town.

Before I begin, a little history for you.

Eastleigh is in south Hampshire, about 5 miles from Southampton and about 55 from London. It has superb commuter links, with the M3, M27, a train station and a well serviced airport. The entire borough of Eastleigh is populated by approximately 125,000 people, 93% of them are white British, an equal split of men and women, mainly working class, with the average age being 43.

It was first recorded in 932 as "East Leah" and then again in the Doomsday Book (1086) as "Eastleie." It wasn't until two local parishes merged did it become Eastleigh in 1868.

Eastleigh ranked as the 9th best place to live in the UK in a Channel Four survey in 2006.

You're probably nodding off now, so I'll break it up with some photos.

Eastleigh is primarily a railway town. The town was built around the railway, most of its original inhabitants worked there and the streets are set out in typical Victorian "iron grid" style.

So here's the railway station as it looks today.
eastleigh.jpg

Quickly running up to the Bishopstoke bridge, we can see the platforms. On the left are the engineering works which closed down in 2006.
eastleigh%20(1).jpg

Inside it's typically Victoria - cast iron, dingy yet decorative.
eastleigh%20(2).jpg

As I mentioned earlier, Eastleigh's history is steeped in railwayness and there's plenty of evidence around to suggest this.
eastleigh%20(3).jpg

eastleigh%20(4).jpg

There's even a statue called "The Railwayman" which was erected in 2006 to commemorate the railway workers of the town.
eastleigh%20(5).jpg

Behind The Railwayman is the recreation ground, a lovely green open space. There's a bandstand in the middle dating from the Victorian times - a golden age for Eastleigh.
eastleigh%20(7).jpg

Here it is from another angle. I used to play a lot in the playground on the left when I was younger. It was either that or go shopping with Mum! It's changed a lot since.
eastleigh%20(6).jpg

The rec is home to a pikey fair once a year during August. The Carnival - the oldest running carnival in the country - terminates here.

Just beyond the rec is Eastleigh's only theatre, The Point. Never been in there to see anything. Theatre isn't my sort of thing.
eastleigh%20(8).jpg

The oldest church in Eastleigh is more-or-less opposite. It's a Catholic one. Again, never been inside and it was closed today.
eastleigh%20(10).jpg

Talking of churches, one burned down in the late 80's and stood derelict for 20-odd years. It's now a block of flats...or "apartments" as the people who live there probably like to call them.
eastleigh%20(11).jpg

So moving on past the oldest church, there is a range of multi-cultural food places - American, Chinese and Indian are all here!
eastleigh%20(9).jpg

And that brings us to the top of Eastleigh town centre's High Street.
eastleigh%20(12).jpg

Again, more exotic food places!
eastleigh%20(13).jpg

The premier attraction in Eastleigh is Eastleigh Museum!
eastleigh%20(14).jpg

As it was free and I've not been in there since school, I had a look inside.

Like all museums, plenty of old fashioned house set-ups and whatnot.
eastleigh%20(15).jpg

eastleigh%20(16).jpg

eastleigh%20(17).jpg

And, again, an exhibition about the railway history.
eastleigh%20(18).jpg

eastleigh%20(19).jpg

eastleigh%20(21).jpg

But the real reason I went it? Well, who could resist this...?!
eastleigh%20(22).jpg

Loads of exhilarating quilts to look at.
eastleigh%20(23).jpg

eastleigh%20(24).jpg

eastleigh%20(25).jpg

Enough old world stuff, as Winston Churchill may say...
eastleigh%20(26).jpg

Wandering back onto the High Street, we can take a quick look at the shops.

The High Street is the "poor street" out of the two main streets. It's full of charity shops, betting shops, pubs and empty shops - but none of them are chipboarded! Here's the Litten Tree. The only place in Eastleigh with a late license. It's full of chavs and it's ****ing horrible. I spent a fair amount of time in there during my late teens!
eastleigh%20(27).jpg

Eastleigh is home to a few Pound shops, however, this one is special.
eastleigh%20(28).jpg

At the end of the High Street is the Swan Centre which opened up in 1989.
eastleigh%20(29).jpg

It's pretty dull. Only the ground floor outlets opened, the 1st floor one's remain unrented.
eastleigh%20(31).jpg

There's a Tesco, a TK Max, WH Smith, Game, Clintons, Robert Dyers, Waterstones, Argos, shoe and mobile phone shops and of course, another ****ing...
eastleigh%20(30).jpg

This sign may make you think that you can't have fun in Eastleigh...
eastleigh%20(32).jpg

...but you can! Last year, they built a complex on top of the Swan Centre car park with stuff to do and chain restaurants!
eastleigh%20(33).jpg

eastleigh%20(34).jpg

eastleigh%20(35).jpg

eastleigh%20(36).jpg

Continuing our tour, if we walk out of the leisure complex down these steps...
eastleigh%20(37).jpg

...we get to Market Street.
eastleigh%20(38).jpg

Market Street is the more "cosmopolitan" street out of the two main streets. There are coffee shops, cafes, more "upper class" shops, travel agents and insurance brokers.

There used to be a cinema in Market Street in the 80's, which closed down and become a nightclub. That was closed due to underage drinking and violence and it stood empty for several years. Late last year, a new nightclub opened up called "Flava" but that has now shut down.

The Imperial Club is the oldest club in Eastleigh, it's been everything from a working man's club to a strip club to a snooker hall to a hire function room.
eastleigh%20(40).jpg

Linking to the two streets at the north end is Leigh Road. Last year, a Wetherspoons opened up - a saviour!
eastleigh%20(39).jpg

The 'spoons used to the The Tavern, a horrid rathole that did a rock night on a Monday. Again, I spent a lot of time there in the late 90's. It's a much better place nowadays.

Leigh Road is home to a weekly market which is held on a Thursday in this little pedestrianised area.
eastleigh%20(41).jpg

You're not allowed to do anything in Leigh Road, there are plenty of warning signs about.
eastleigh%20(42).jpg

eastleigh%20(43).jpg

And of course, what's a street in Eastleigh without a...
eastleigh%20(44).jpg

I bet Scott Mills and Colin Firth are glad they moved away! Benny Hill was a also a famous resident - he used to deliver milk in the area. When they knocked down the Pirelli cable factory in 2002 to build more "apartments", they even called one of the roads Benny Hill Close :lol:

So concludes the tour of Eastleigh town centre. I have to say that it's a place I rarely visit nowadays. I use the train station now and then, as I do the bowling, cinema and 'spoons. I'm not exceptionally proud of Eastleigh, nor would I highly recommend it for a day trip but it can be a decent evening out with the right people. Or a good place to shop for tat under a quid.

Thanks for reading :D

peep

CF Legend
Epic PTR Ian. I think I caught a few of your tweets about this but now I have read the full Trip report I am glad. I now know lots about the place that is called Eastleigh.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ You were lucky, you got the extended tour :p

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
I actually am quite delighted that I've been given an insight into your area. If I'm honest, I'd never even heard of Eastleigh before :lol: It seems that you too have been plagued with 99p stores too, then. Oh dear :/

At least your area's got some decent history. The only thing Enfield really has to brag about is that it had the world's first ATM machine. You can't really make a museum about that, can you?

Well, and correct me if I'm wrong, at least it doesn't look like you get many chavs where you are. If that's the case then I may have to come and do some touring!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
During the day, Eastleigh is mainly made up of oldies and the toothless, look-older-than-they-are unemployed. At night, the chavs do come out BUT since the 'spoons and leisure complex hit town last year and the clampdown on antisocial behaviour and irresponsible pubs, it has improved, more family friendly.

Dave

CF Legend
Enigma Shadow said:
At least your area's got some decent history. The only thing Enfield really has to brag about is that it had the world's first ATM machine. You can't really make a museum about that, can you?

Ah so there is something 'ok' about it.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Haha, an 89p store. Before long there'll just be a shop that gives that sort of junk away for free.

Eastleigh still looks better than Northwich too!

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Ian said:

Also along that row, next to the cake shop, is my orthodontist *shiver*

Eastleigh is pretty odd, although I hardly ever go there anymore, last time I was there I went to the Job Centre :lol:

Pierre

Strata Poster
My town was worst in 2008. Yay.

Looks like a quiet town. I know the feeling about towns banging on about railways, the town next to us, Stockton, had "the first publicly subscribed, adhesion worked railway using steam locomotives" and they kind of cling on to that as their only success.

Also lol at the crap takeaway name "Yummy Yummy".

jayjay

Giga Poster
You and Gavin have somewhat inspired me to want to try doing one of these. Sounds like quite a decent place to live actually. Obviously this is Britain, so that's a little unlikely.