What's new

A newfound appreciation...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There has been several times when I've ridden a new coaster and then written it off as pretty meh.

As time goes by and I learn a bit more about the theme, the work involved, story, concept etc.

The ride itself may still be crap, but when presented with all the facts, sometimes the whole package gains a newfound appreciation in my mind.

I have a newfound appreciation for Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park. I decided to add the Saw films to my Lovefilm film list because of the ride. Whilst watching Saw II last night, I spotted an old Singer sewing machine randomly sitting on a hallway floor, my goonbrain beeped and I remembered seeing the same machine in Saw's station. I now want to watch all the films so I can understand what all the seemingly random items of theming in the station are all about.

Are there any rides out there that you've gained a newfound appreciation for? Perhaps by researching into the ride, spotting something previously unseen, talking to park employees or by multiple rerides.

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
I did exactly this with oblivion in the first season it was open. Rode it, decided it was massivley dissapointing and then wasn't too fussed about it every other time i went.

After taking a break from it, i seemed to appreciate it more and grew to love it for the one trick pony it is.

As it turns out, its one of my favourite rides now.

Ollie

CF Legend
Good question. I'm not sure. Some rides seem to grow on me the more I ride them.
I'm glad you used Saw as an example Ian as most people don't realise how much theming there actually is. Doing a recreation of it even I was spotting new things on the ride that I hadn't noticed previous goes and I know how hard it is to make scenery like that due to the set design part of my course.

I can't think of any good examples at the moment but it is true. You may not like a ride much but once you find out more or spot something you hadn't seen before you seem to appreciate it more and enjoy it for what it is and not what you want it to be.

marc

CF Legend
For me a few rides have mainly the ones at Disney parks.

I used to hate all the BTM and Space Mountains as they did not invert and were not that fast.

Once I learned what they were about and a coaster does noot need to invert to be good I started to really like them for what they are.

Btw I am not talking about Mission2 when I talk about Space Mountain.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Actually speaking of Disney. I wasn't that impressed with Phantom Manor when I rode it. I didn't hate it but wasn't amazed by it either. It just seemed old and not scary at all.
Now I've read into the massive back story browsed some fan sites I really feel I'd love it much more if I get to ride it again. Same kinda goes for BTM.

Ollie

CF Legend
^And that contributed to the topic how?

I just thought of another one. EGF. I loved it first time but the more I rode it the more I enjoyed it. It seemed each lap it got better and better. Same goes for Piraten except I felt a bit ill after a whole hour of it. I guess that's all to do with the track warming up and stuff though although each time it seemed to get noticeably better.

Snoo

The Legend
Well.. I'd have to say Thunderbolt at Kennywood. For some odd reason, after I found out some of the history of the ride, I just fell in love.

tks

Strata Poster
After a few years of SLATING X:\WTF I somehow started to love it. It's a rubbish ride all right, but it's so bad, cheesy and utterly silly it becomes fun. I think that fits into this topic.

Oh and I have a massive appreciation for any B&M Flying Coaster. I thought they were cool at first but not brilliant, however seeing all the gears and twisty things go round in the station makes me go "ooh". Sad I know. :D

marc

CF Legend
Another one is Stealth.

I always sit there and think this does nothing etc, yet I ride it and always come off with a smile on my face and when its not open I feel let down and miss it.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Normally for family coasters...like Gold Rusher and Ninja at SFMM. They aren't a huge deal, but I've just grown to love them, just because of how fun and re-ridable they can be (and they're amazing in the dark).

Then there's Terminator Salvation The Ride, which is always slowly moving up on my list. I loved it from the start, but as I keep riding it I think about the ride higher than it on my list and ask myself which one I would rather ride, and Terminator wins. It's a great ride.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Oh and I have a massive appreciation for any B&M Flying Coaster. I thought they were cool at first but not brilliant, however seeing all the gears and twisty things go round in the station makes me go "ooh". Sad I know.

Haha! I'm with you on that one!

And I've grown to love Oblivion more with age. I love the whole concept, but it took me a while to really take it in. I just wish it was looked after abit better. Not sure if theres any other coasters with such a blatant message of "you're going to die".

Jools

Giga Poster
bob_3_ said:
Oh and I have a massive appreciation for any B&M Flying Coaster. I thought they were cool at first but not brilliant, however seeing all the gears and twisty things go round in the station makes me go "ooh". Sad I know.

Haha! I'm with you on that one!

And I've grown to love Oblivion more with age. I love the whole concept, but it took me a while to really take it in. I just wish it was looked after abit better. Not sure if theres any other coasters with such a blatant message of "you're going to die".

I'm exactly the same, I use to think "Oh, oblivion's too short relly, it needs lotz of loopz blud" lol, well, kind of :lol: But now I see how the concept of just one thrilling sheer drop is enough, and it is one of my most loved rides.

No, I mean, my opinion of the majority of coasters I have been on remains the same as it was the first time around. As Marcus mentioned though, Thunderbolt's history and Kennywood's history in general is pretty interesting, but I loved the park even not knowing the history, so I wouldn't say my appreciation is "newfound".

So yep, there's my answer :p .

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Raging Bull's backstory made me appreciate it a bit more and moreso made me wish that 6F hadn't been bought out right as that ride was being built so the park could have finished all the theming that never got put in.
[/runon sentence]