What's new

7 dead and 50 injured as tram derails in Croydon

Sandman

Giga Poster
"Seven people have died and dozens more have been injured after a tram overturned in London, police have said.

People were trapped inside and more than 50 were taken to hospital after the derailment in Croydon just after 06:00 GMT.

The tram driver, 42 from Beckenham, has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

British Transport Police said they were investigating whether he fell asleep.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said the tram was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted".

Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock said: "After liaison with the coroner, we can confirm that at least seven people have lost their lives as a result of this incident.

"Our officers will continue to work tirelessly throughout the evening to formally identify them and provide care and support for their families."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-37811029

peep

CF Legend
Yeah this is close to a few of us so it's quite a shock to the system.

Sounds like a terrible accident.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Yeah, I'm going to be one of the closest to this accident I think. I use the tram almost daily, though this was just at the start of the New Addington branch off, a line I don't use.

Terrifying how many significant injuries there were. I wan't to know exactly how, because I can't imagine a tram simply toppling over causing much damage.

I was surprised to see the tram running when I walked under a bridge earlier today... I figured it would be down for a while whilst they investigated how it happened.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
This is 2016, it shouldn't have been able to happen. I can't believe with todays technology theres no failsafe system to prevent this, the trams should have sensors that automatically slow it down when approaching a corner if the human driver doesn't make any inputs.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This is so bizarre, I still can't get my head round it. For the few years I lived in East London, I used to park in Sandilands (where the accident was) and get the tram into Wimbledon. The trams are really slow and like the least unsafe feeling transport out there!

Like Joey, I still can't work out how so many people died. Even at 40mph I can't understand it. Scary stuff.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Bit of an update on this one...

"The tram that derailed in Croydon killing seven people was travelling at three and a half times the speed limit, investigators have said. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said the tram, which was carrying about 60 people, was travelling at 43.5mph in a 12mph zone. In its interim report, it said there was no evidence of any track defects, or obstructions on the track. The investigation also found no malfunction of the braking system. The tram derailed last Wednesday morning shortly after coming out of a tunnel with a 50mph speed limit.

Initial analysis shows the driver, Alfred Dorris, did apply the brake after coming out of the tunnel but only enough to reduce his speed from 50mph out of the tunnel to 43.5mph. The tram travelled 25m before stopping. Mr Dorris, from Beckenham, south-east London, has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released on bail until May. It is understood that establishing if the 42-year-old, who has worked for First Group since 2008, was asleep or had blacked out are lines of inquiry."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38003934