What's new

50 years of Phantasialand - Trip Report April 2017 (Part Two)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
So last week I went to Germany for a week to 'see family' I have there, the fact they live 30 mins away from Phantasialand and it was the week of the park's 50th birthday was just a lucky coincidence......;):emoji_imp:
Phantasialand is my childhood park and therefore is very close to my heart. It is also my favourite park in the world and full of all of my favourite rides.
So I really wanted to be there for the 50th anniversary of the park, and of course just to simply get back on park (I mean you don't really need extra reasons to visit Phantasialand do you?). With really cheap Ryanair flights to Cologne airport I had no reason not to go.
I had a great week in Germany; I do love the city of Cologne, it was good to spend time with family, I visited two brilliant museums (Haus der Geschichte in Bonn and the maritime museum in Duisburg), went to a funfair and spent 3 days in Phantasialand!

26th April - Day One
Entered the park through the Berlin entrance, while the entrance itself is very dated (and definitely going to be replaced in the coming years), the view you get after entering and the experience of walking down the stairs, around the doubledecker carousel and along the beautiful Old Berlin street towards Wellenflug never fails to amaze me. You are instantly thrown into and immersed in the world of Berlin at the beginning of the 20th century. It gets bonus points from me for being a historical theme as I'm a big lover of history.
18341846_1442543185811795_6348404532195362044_n.jpg

My first port of call was to Guest Services to get myself an annual pass. I've never bought myself an annual pass for any park before so this was new territory but with many trips planned to Phantasialand this year and all the benefits that the pass comes with I thought it was a good investment. The Phantasialand Erlebnis-Pass as it is called costs 185 euro and as well as unlimited entry to the park for a year; you get 3 quick-passes every time you visit, 35% off the hotels, 30% off merchandise and 10% off food in the park. However the other major reason I bought it was it gives you one free admission to Europa Park, Efteling (both parks I'm visiting this year) and Liseberg, and discounts to Toverland (25%), Walibi Belgium, Bellewaerde (40%), Bobbejaaland (50%) etc.
18268648_1444885385577575_2060163379900191015_n.jpg

The woman at the services desk was shocked when she looked at my form and saw I was from the UK - she thought my German was excellent and couldn't tell, which I was rather pleased about!
C:\Users\CHRIST~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
(she must have had hearing problems)
After getting my pass sorted which was quick and painless, I headed straight for Taron's queue. For crowd control reasons every morning they keep Klugheim closed, make people queue on the bridge between Chiapas and Taron and staff lead the queue then into Klugheim to the entrance of Taron. Then the morning opening announcement plays - which is a great way to get everyone excited for what lies ahead!
I love Klugheim - the fusion of medieval, Bavarian, Norse myth, Irish + fantasy/mystery theming, the IMAscore soundtrack, atmosphere and two great coasters! It is so immersive (which is a word I will probably use a lot as it is what Phantasia excels at!), you really feel like you are no longer in a theme park but actually in the mysterious world of Klugheim. I would certainly say it is one of the best themed areas in the world. There are so many little things to see and explore - the detail in the buildings and rockwork is astonishing.
18221855_1442554769143970_8811100669369300685_n.jpg

Taron is my no.1 coaster. The lapbar trains are comfy and give you a lot of freedom. I've already mentioned the spectacular theming and music but the coaster itself has a great fun and thrilling layout - the airtime, direction changes and launches are wonderful! Especially that 2nd launch...
Raik,the Vekoma Family boomerang, is fun and a good family coaster. The time travel theme works brilliantly with the going backwards and forwards aspect of the coaster. I find the effects used ingenious = the fog in the zero car and the lights and clock sequence in the station.

The park was fairly quiet that day so I managed to get 5 rides on Taron and 4 on Raik throughout the day.
After the Klugheim coasters I headed to Chiapas to see the changes for this year.
18301568_1442556659143781_9217641198193376993_n.jpg

The new entrance portal is great and hopefully now people will find the ride entrance without a problem. The return of the Single Rider queue was also very helpful for me so I went straight on.
Chiapas is a brilliant log flume. I do love a good water ride, and Chiapas has it all - amazing theming, soundtrack, story, a good layout and a disco party cave! The new system on the first turntable has slowed it down quite a bit but it is a vast improvement. My only criticism of Chiapas is the boats and their lapbars (which are weirdly shaped imo). They're not terrible and don't ruin the ride for me but I find them rather uncomfortable.
Chiapas is full of easter eggs from the Coca-cola drinks box amongst the archaeologists stuff to the initials of the park owner Robert Loffelhart 'RL' on the wall at the switch track after the 2nd drop. There's even easter eggs I've read about online but still haven't managed to find them myself.

Afterwards I rode Colorado Adventure the park's fabulous Vekoma Mine Train twice in a row before making my way over the other side of the park to the Fantasy area. The Fantasy area has always been my least favourite part of the park. It's not badly done, the outdoor Wuze-Tal kids area is nicely themed and the indoors Wuze Town building is also well done, but I just don't feel much love for it compared to the other areas of the park.
Before I got to Winjas however I stopped to look at the Rookburgh sign - teasing the new themed area under construction.
18199076_1442538615812252_1784515638565498382_n.jpg

I'm really intrigued by this project even though we know very little about it and it is currently still a massive hole in the ground. I can't wait for it open (presumably next year). Steampunk is a good theme and Phantasialand's take on steampunk will be amazing! I'm expecting a lot of detail and to be blown away by it - question is will it top Klugheim, as the creative team have claimed it will?. I'm really hoping for a dark ride. While I remain skeptical of the Flying Coaster rumours started by Looopings - if it does turn out to be true and the new Vekoma prototype flying coaster is being used to create a Flying coaster dark ride (ala Arthur at Europa Park) I'm not complaining!

I then headed to Winjas Fear & Force, the two Maurer spinning coasters. I really enjoy both of them although I like Fear better for the overbanked turn. Again the theming, soundtrack and layout are excellent and the hidden bits of trick track are great! I love seeing and hearing people's first reactions to the trick track when they don't know its coming - I did this back in July to two (very GP) friends of mine. Okay they didn't react very positively to the experience and weren't very pleased that I had failed to mention these parts in advance but I maintain that it is better to go in not knowing first. :confused:

After a ride on the Tittle Tattle Tree (really good fun and great views of Winjas) I left Fantasy and headed back to Klugheim for another go on Taron and Raik, and then for one of my most anticipated rides of the day: the new and improved River Quest!
I've always loved River Quest - it is one of my all time favourite rides. I've quite a history with it as well. As a child I was dying to go on it after hearing about it from my parents and watching the boats go by. And as said earlier I really like water rides. However I wasn't 1.40m yet so I couldn't ride. There was at least 2 years in a row where I tried to go (I even resorted once to buying boots to wear to make me taller) but was turned away. Throughout those two years I constantly measured my height, impatiently waiting to grow taller... Finally one summer I was at last 1.40m and I've loved it ever since!
It is so much fun. I love the social aspect of the rapids boats and again like Winjas this is a great attraction to watch the reactions of others - which on River Quest is perhaps one of the most entertaining parts and the russian roulette factor - where you don't know if you will get wet or really wet.
The new theming is amazing! The tunnel, lifts and whirlpool look wonderful and RQ looks brand new despite being 15 years old! I especially love the new music in the lifts from IMAscore - really builds up the tension.
I rode River Quest 4 times that day - which really wasn't the best decision I've ever made as unfortunately every single time I got completely drenched. But it is just SO MUCH FUN! Normally when I ride it is the summer, it is really warm and you dry off in the sun. However it was April and 11 degrees.... I was freezing and dripping wet now for the rest of the day. Clever me..

I then rode Mystery Castle. It was running the short cycle - which is still good fun but I returned after 2pm when they normally switch over to the longer cycle. Thankfully I did then get the longer cycle. The effects, music and audio do really add to make it a great experience. One advantage of being on my own in the park was that I took longer to look at and appreciate all the theming and details around the whole park but particularly in the queueline of Mystery Castle. It is a wonderful experience attraction.
18199297_1442563572476423_7885387547020000256_n.jpg

Maus au Chocolat was next - another great experience attraction. I love the theming, details, smells, effects and the interactive aspect of this dark ride. A great family attraction. However while in the queue I noticed there was still water dripping off me and creating a small puddle ...damn you River Quest!
I then went into the park's fun house Hotel Tartuff. This is one of my favourite attractions. It is weird, wacky and wonderful, really well themed and a lot of fun!
18275242_1444883838911063_8549617704627897202_n.jpg
18301026_1444883868911060_9153118906974352894_n.jpg
I really like the Berlin murals along the walkway at the back of Kaiserplatz.

Next up was Black Mamba which has never really been a favourite of mine, and it still isn't. I mean it is a great ride - fun, forceful + smooth - and the theming is amazing, but I just don't find it as fun and exciting as some of the other rides in the park. Out of all the coasters in Phantasialand it is my 2nd least favourite. I waited longer for the front row which was great and is definitely my favourite row as you get a clear view of your surroundings - I feel in other rows you can't see that much because it is an Inverted train. I also don't really like OTSRs on any coaster. Maybe it is a coaster I'd appreciate more if it wasn't in a park full of other great rides.
18199427_1442538469145600_8479277539647291181_n.jpg

After another ride on Colorado Adventure, I ended the long (and wet) day on Taron!

Interlude - Kölner Frühlingsvolksfest
I spent the next day in the city of Cologne and in the afternoon decided to visit the funfair/German Kirmes on the Deutz side of the Rhine river.
It was a decent size and primilary consisted of food stalls and attractions for kids.
18274883_1442563445809769_9022222008273208581_n.jpg

Ferris Wheel and one of the thrill flat rides.
18198998_1442542535811860_4402003235934392101_n.jpg

18275196_1442544235811690_4444413004387961903_n.jpg

18300799_1442549965811117_2011307792842560372_n.jpg

18268557_1442555665810547_7665792138408173723_n.jpg

I was really impressed by the size of the travelling Mack Rides log flume they had.
18222573_1442538672478913_3276908474741252873_n.jpg

Some kind of Pirates themed walkthrough thing... I think... Not really sure what it was.
18268557_1442538649145582_6833279633917093134_n.jpg

18274746_1442548695811244_6307214400264445121_n.jpg

Wild Mouse coaster.
In the end I only went on the Log Flume and Wild Mouse (5 euro each). Both were really good fun. The Wild Mouse was nothing special but its placement next to the road bridge and river meant at the top corner it seems as if you are about to be flung into the traffic, and then for the rest of the coaster, into the river.

Rest of my Phantasialand report coming soon covering the remaining attractions and the 50th anniversary itself.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice to hear you had a good day at Phantasialand. We ended up at the park on the 50th Anniversary too, but we weren't as prepared and had no idea until they extended the opening hours! :p Can't wait to hear the rest of your report, on such a great park.

Olaf

Mega Poster
I'm guessing Temple of the Nighthawk is your least favorite coaster then? As you didnt even mention it in the review

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Excellent review, will keep an eye for out for the second part! Out of interest when was your last visit to Phantasialand before this one?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Excellent review, will keep an eye for out for the second part! Out of interest when was your last visit to Phantasialand before this one?
Thanks! My last visit was at the start of December 2016 for the park's Wintertraum.

I'm guessing Temple of the Nighthawk is your least favorite coaster then? As you didnt even mention it in the review
Yes it is my least favourite. TotNH will be one of the attractions covered in Part 2.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
From what I've seen online I really love what they've done with River Quest too! Great report. Must have been nice to visit on such a special occasion!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
28th April - Day Two
Originally I had intended to only visit Phantasialand twice this holiday (26 + 30) however since Star Trek at Movie Park Germany wasn't open yet, and since I now have an annual pass, I decided to spend another day in Phantasialand. On the main road outside the park I noticed a gate was open (trucks must have been coming or going) to the Rookburgh construction site. And yeah it is literally just one massive hole. Space for a large dark ride under the buildings and street like Geister Rikscha? Foundations for a large mutli story indoor themed area like Wuze Town? Something else? Next year can't come quick enough (hoping and assuming it is for next year - although I doubt they'd already have put up the Rookburgh sign to advertise something for 2019).

Once inside I headed straight for the Fantasy area, and to Temple of the Night Hawk. It has been over a year since the last time I rode it - despite spending 4 days in the park last year. I don't hate TotNH, but I don't like it much either - to me its 'meh'. (I didn't bother with it last year cause... TARON) How the coaster has a small cult following is beyond me.
It is not a bad layout, I think is quite fun and with good theming could be nice family coaster. Although special shoutout to that IMAscore soundtrack added in 2015 - it was nice hearing it while whizzing around in the dark. The problem is the way it is at the moment TotNH isn't very exciting - the fact that when I rode it most people were sitting on it in silence, no screams or shouts from anyone, and actually after the 2nd lifthill the people sitting in front and behind me were having a conversation is rather telling...
Unfortunately I never got to experience it as Space Center but I hear it was vastly surperior then.
I rode TotNH twice to make the most of it while it's still here...

Hollywood Tour was next. I enjoy this dark ride - yes it is showing its age, yes it is isn't the most modern or exciting thing in the world. The scenes are well put together and the soundtrack is good. Also I like water based dark rides to start with. The drop with the waterfall effect at the start is great - okay for a Hollywood films ride the spooky, dark, dreary cave that follows is odd and a bit out of place (maybe its a metaphor ;)). It's nice to see for an old ride the park to continue to maintain it, repair and replace bits and keep the animatronics working. Apart from poor Alfred Hitchcock in the station, he has definitely seen better days. The witch animatronic in the Wizard of Oz scene looked awful - as in the face looked more like a man - so the park for this year replaced the head with a female one (a big improvement), however the new figure is static and not an animatronic, perhaps a sign this ride is not long for this world. The Wizard of Oz still isn't as good as the Hitchcock's Birds scene that used to be there but was removed for being too scary... Interestingly on that note when the ride opened in 1990 they used to have a scare actor dressed as Frankenstein's Monster hiding in the corner at the ride entrance. But children got too scared.
However my fondness for Hollywood Tour is probably heavily influenced by nostalgia - it is one of the last traditional dark rides of old Phantasialand that I grew up left.

I decided to explore the Fantasy area a bit more and take a walk around the lake. It's an area I've spent every little time in. As the park was turning 50th it is worth noting this area is where Phantasialand began. The original entrance was where Fantassmia and Hollywood Tour are now and around the lake was the Fairy Tale Glen. The Wuze theming along the pathway around the lake is actually quite good - I don't think I've paid much attention to it before but I really like the little details: the frog bins, tree carvings, Wuze houses and lanterns made out of buckets with faces carved into them.
18222127_1442562175809896_6786449375163378824_n.jpg
18342715_1444871272245653_1953125736623979626_n.jpg

18301922_1444871108912336_8142693997903205563_n.jpg
Came across this Wuze wash house with a water feature that I never knew existed before.

I rode Wakobato for the first time in years. Most people will know this ride is pretty dull. It's nicely themed and the concept of shooting the frog targets to set off water features is good but it just never bloody works. The last time I was on Wakobato not a single target worked. However recently the park have been trying to improve the ride by experimenting with a new disk mechanism. On a few converted frogstones you shoot at a plastic disc, which folds backwards against metal contacts which set off the fountain. So I went on to try them out, and the new targets worked perfectly! Overall I did enjoy my ride on Wakobato more than I expected too; about 50% of the targets worked. Since the new system works brilliantly the park will hopefully update each target soon (but whether that happens this season or will be done for next year remains to be seen). But until I hear that the ride has been fully updated I won't be going back to ride it again.
18274836_1444871112245669_3197939895328786173_n.jpg

The path around the lake is rather nice and peaceful and is was dead, not another person in sight - you wouldn't still think you're in Phantasialand. I did like the doors and steps up with a gate to each of the Wuze houses, each house had the family name on a carved into a rock.
18275229_1444876252245155_5482304775277120387_n.jpg

After my nice walk I decided to try out the Quick Passes available with my Annual Pass so I went to Maus au Chocolat.
Then I decided after a quiet, relaxing morning it was time for some thrills so I went on Black Mamba in the back row. It was great and I still think it is smooth - I've not felt a rattle or encountered headbashing.
18222274_1442562769143170_2640583298547462174_n.jpg

Next was Talocan. Normally I'm a fan of most flat rides other than ones that spin you around and upside down A LOT (Enterprises are the worst, don't much like Air Races, and Rotator at Tayto Park is vile). However I don't find Talocan too bad. I enjoy it a lot. It's intense, thrilling and fun. It has a decent long cycle and yet it doesn't go on too long that it is sicking (looking at you Rotator...). But its still something I'd only do once or twice a day.
The theming, effects and music are superb and make for a great experience attraction - Phantasialand really had a winner with this. It's shame not a lot of other parks put so much effort and thought into their flats.
Tip: If you ever walk along the balcony bit of the building at the back of the ride (where the windows are to see it from behind) read the newspaper articles on the walls which explain the detailed backstory of Talocan. It's the same article but in 5 different languages: German, English, Dutch, Spanish and France.
18341950_1444870112245769_5661685858994371139_n.jpg
Unfortunately didn't get that good a photo of the article close up...

18199043_1442547005811413_8457681275874615522_n.jpg

Then I rode Chiapas, followed by Colorado Adventure, followed by two rides on Raik.

After that I returned to River Quest. Big mistake got completely soaked again. However I had a closer look at the new entrance both inside and out.
18274705_1442538765812237_4449604390525411379_n.jpg
On the inside you can see the wooden wall currently blocking what will be the new entrance. As you can see the entrance is not yet in use as a bridge needs to be built here. It is unknown whether there was a delay or was it phased as there wasn't enough time and they just focused on finishing the exterior and whirlpool this off season. However it seems the park don't want to close the ride to carry out the work so the new entrance will not be coming until next year.
18199183_1442545939144853_3384599028776867032_n.jpg
After the bridge you will go along this wooden walkway and into the building.
18222671_1442554019144045_5826789924885253618_n.jpg
And then come down these stairs to join the original queueline.
Can't wait to see it finished!

18300802_1442551532477627_5412070758876364338_n.jpg

18268602_1442543449145102_4512085729245067089_n.jpg

To end the day and dry off I had a wonderful ride on Taron.

30th April - Day 3 - The 50th Anniversary of the opening of Phantasialand!
Since it was a Sunday and the German equivalent of a Bank Holiday weekend, and it was the park's 50th birthday I expected it to be full.
And it was very full. I really don't think I've ever seen the park so busy.
Coming from Cologne on the motorway, traffic built up at the exit for Phantasialand. We sat in the line of cars for about 5 minutes. Later in the day the news reported traffic delays of 15 minutes on that section of motorway because of PHL.

18222408_1442539422478838_6627801723034049197_n.jpg

18222572_1442553482477432_5686153041938265331_n.jpg

Once in the park I went straight for Taron and stood in the queue which was already at the entrance to the ride and went all the way back around and along the Chiapas bridge. Suddenly 30 mins before the ride normally opens the tannoy played that cool Klugheim morning opening speech again and the coaster opened early. Hooray!
After queuing for about 40 in the actual queueline (took longer as I queued for the front row) I was on Taron. Again its an amazing coaster and I do love the front row for the view. Next I checked out Raik's single rider queue which normally works for me and I've never had to wait longer than 8 minutes but the queue line almost full - it was all the way back to the steps and since I'd already ridden it a lot this trip I decided to move on to Chiapas. Chiapas' single rider queue line was empty so I rode twice.

18198741_1442539289145518_4328673733145946451_n.jpg

18198986_1442539989145448_6241312300541505234_n.jpg

To my surprise I hadn't been on Geister Rikscha yet this trip so I entered the really dark queueline and when I came around the corner to the cattlepen at the station to my surprise there was a queue! I had to wait about 8 minutes to get on but I was shocked as it is the first ever time in my life (or at least as long as I can remember) I've had to queue for Geister Rikscha, normally it's a walk on!
My thoughts on Geister are pretty similar to my thoughts on Hollywood Tour. I enjoy it but that is probably due to a lot of nostalgia. Although the scenes are very detailed, there is a lot going on and again the loads of animatronics are maintained and kept operational - they even a few seasons back received new costumes. I like the wind effect at the ghost ship scene and the ghost in your car mirror effect thing. However it is showing its age and in the world of modern dark rides isn't really that exciting anymore. I do though find the way it is mostly underground fascinating though - it runs underneath most of the China Town square - some emergency escape doors come out in Raik's queueline!

While riding it I can't help but think of the fact it doesn't have long left. Thinking of how the park will progress in the future, without a doubt Hollywood Tour, TotNH and Geister Rikscha will be removed in the next few years. For a long time now the park have worked a cycle of a new attraction every two years. If this cycle continues that would mean this will the last year for an existing attraction (unless the park use a new bit of land) so it could be Geister or TotNH/Hollywood Tour's last season! A number of fans don't like the prospect of this - mostly the cult of TotNH who set up a petition in February to save them. I get that nostalgia makes it hard for people to let go of these rides, I can associate with that.
I grew up with Phantasialand and rides such as the old log flumes, Silbermine, 1001 Nachts, Walzertraum, Phantasialand Jet etc. Heck I'm such a nostalgia freak for the park my profile pic is me at 5 years old under the track of PHL-jet with Stonewash and Wildwash Creek and Silbermine in the background.
18446513_1447916911941089_8432752223014753619_n.jpg

And yeah I'm very sad the old rides are gone they were a great part of my childhood. I do miss them. But I do also love their replacements and accept that they had to go. Hollywood Tour and Geister Rikscha have a lot of sentimental value for me so I will find it sad to see them go. However I know its coming within the next few years and accept it because it will be replaced by something better and, in the case of Hollywood Tour, will actually thematically fit in. It's all in the name of progress and its for the best.* I'm very much in favour of the preservation of history (heck that's what most of my life revolves around) but a theme park isn't a museum.
* But if Phantasialand ever touch Colorado Adventure which is my childhood favourite, Herr Loffelhardt will be hearing from me!!!!!!

After Geister Rikscha I walked over to Berlin and went in the direction of Hotel Tartuff however the queue was out the door so I decided against it. As I turned around behind me was the entrance to the Wintergarten (the Berlin theatre) there was a performance of the show Musarteum on in exactly one minute. A spur of the moment decision I went in and took a seat. I very rarely go to shows in theme parks (Disney and the outdoor winter shows in Phantasialand being the exceptions). In fact I've never been to a summer show in Phantasialand in all the years I've visited the park. So I thought I'd give it a try and having already spent two days on park within the past week I could afford to spend some time doing non ride things.
The Wintergarten theatre itself is quite large, I never realised the size of it but then it is hidden behind the facades on the Berlin main street. It is also one of the oldest surviving buildings in the park having been built in 1970 with the Berlin area. It is actually modeled off the original Wintergarten theatre in Berlin which was built in 1888 and destroyed by bombing in WWII.
18268580_1442559159143531_619453531373813258_n.jpg

The set on the stage for the show was really well done. Lots of detail and secret hidden doors and passages that the cast used to good effect during the show.
Musarteum is rather weird the story is that ghosts come out at night in the museum and ... perform ... seemingly just for the sake of it. And the museum curator couldn't seem to make up his mind if he was against them or with them. As at some points he was trying to get rid of the ghosts and at others congratulating them and joining in.
I enjoyed it though. The performances from the various artists were amazing.

18222611_1442542802478500_3584148609919616444_n.jpg

Busy Kaiserplatz. It was great to see the amount of people in costume they had out interacting with guests and playing games with them - hulla hoops, skipping etc.
18275210_1442543759145071_666696812602113532_n.jpg

18199032_1442550712477709_5705790661732407067_n.jpg
Also took a moment to look at the new bit of theming on Kaiserplatz an actual 100 year historic Berlin tram - but it is also historic for the park as originally when the Berlin area opened this very tram took visitors up and down the main street. Great to see the park restore it and use it again - it is used as a stall for the 2 for 1 ticket deal.
Once the show was over I headed to Maus au Chocolat and used one of my Quick Passes on my trusty annual pass. Afterwards I headed over to the queue times board ... Winjas 90 mins, Taron 120 mins, Chiapas 85 mins.... So I decided I should check out another park show and went to the Arena de Fiesta in the Mexico area which is home to the ice skating show 'Ice College'. However there was 20 minutes until the show so I thought rather than sit around waiting I would try and get a quick ride in on Talocan using my Quick Pass. Once off Talocan I went straight to the Arena and took my seat.

18222696_1442539552478825_5719587502219277896_n.jpg

Before the show started I was thinking how nice this Mexican themed theatre is and how an American high school show doesn't really fit. From the name and what I'd previously heard about the show it sounded to me like High School Musical on ice (funnily enough the first song played as the show started was a High School Musical song).
The tannoy announced the show would soon start but we had chosen a special day to visit the park and they would be extending the opening hours by two hours! The park would now be open until 8pm. I was very pleased at the prospect of more ride time, and most importantly I'd have the time to queue up for Taron again!
Ice College was a great show. Very enjoyable. Great performances and song selections. The show also featured no dialogue however the story told through the performances was easy to follow. While I do speak German so understanding shows isn't a problem for me, it is good for the park's non German visitors as everyone can then understand and enjoy the show.

Afterwards I quick passed Colorado Adventure.
18221993_1442560059143441_461953000014295143_n.jpg

Thankfully it was a sunny and warm day so I didn't mind get wet as much, and since it was my last day on park I wanted to ride it again so I queued for River Quest. After about 45 minutes in line and almost throttling a Dutch man for smoking in the queueline I was on the ride. Yet again I got completely soaked. However to dry myself I headed to Mystery Castle. While entering the castle I noticed on the station roof on River Quest you can still see two remaining footers for the old Phantasialand-Jet monorail. In the photo you can see one of the grey stumps which has a small sheet of metal over it. The other footer is behind the tree.
18274856_1442541419145305_7334237648505128033_n.jpg

It was 20 minute wait in the end.
Afterwards I went to Tikal which aside from Feng Ju Palace (which I just didn't bother with) was the only other ride I hadn't ridden so far this trip. I really like Tikal, they are super fun family drop towers. I also love the interaction with Colorado Adventure.
18423899_1444883832244397_9165841564690871591_n.jpg

As Taron was really busy they closed the queue for it an hour before the park closed. So I went to Klugheim got something to eat quickly and then joined the queue 5 minutes before it closed. The wait was advertised as 90 mins by that point.

18221569_1442537735812340_4449382125459015000_n.jpg

18222261_1442544835811630_875612378810295738_n.jpg

However it soon became apparent that it would take so long and in the end I only waited 50 mins.
When I was out of Klugheim it was 7.45. 15 minutes left before the park closed. Taron wouldn't be my last ride of the day. So I headed to Chiapas but then just before I entered the queue I changed my mind and walked on by. There was only one ride I wanted to go on to finish off my day on park for the 50th. One of my last remaining childhood favourites: Colorado Adventure. CA was my first ever coaster - that's were it all began. It was only fitting.
I ran just to make sure I'd get there on time however as I entered I noticed the queue time board actually said the ride queue would close at 8.15! They were keeping it open a bit longer. turns out I didn't need to rush.
18222308_1442549392477841_959553346738747311_n.jpg

Really enjoyed my back row ride on Colorado Adventure. I just love this coaster so much. I do feel it is underrated. Suppose with all the new amazing attractions that have followed it is overlooked. But it is fast, fun and in the back row some really good airtime in places. For me it is my second favourite coaster in Phantasialand (Taron is obviously first).
When I got off I realised it was only 8.10 ... the queueline was still open ... so again I ran just to make sure I got there before someone closed it (not helped by the fact the entrance is around the back, in the middle of nowhere). I made it in time, and enjoyed one more back row ride.
Perfect way to end the anniversary day, and the trip.

After I got off, I walked slowly back to the Berlin entrance taking in my surroundings but I can't be too sad as in just over 2 months I'll be back!;):cool:

Last edited:

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Great report! It is nice to read from someone who grew up with the park, makes the TR more emotional :) The double ride on Colorado at the end was heartwarming!

peep

CF Legend
Excellent report. Completely agree with everything, Colorado Adventure is just amazing. A shame it's often overlooked, in my opinion it's better than all of the other mine train themed coasters out there.

Didn't realise the new River Quest entrance wasn't in use yet, weird how they've been slowly transforming the ride by adding more theming over the last few closed seasons. Can't wait to see all the new additions when I return though, looks excellent.

P.S. Totally jealous you grew up with trips to Phantasialand.