What's new

21st Century Breakdown?

c&r

Mega Poster
Just for Ian :wink: .

As time progresses, older generations often find themselves cursing the younger generations and their new fads; from their point of view, crime rates are perpetually increasing, sexuality is becoming more perverse and promiscious, and debauchery as a whole is on the rise.

Are these differences real, or are they created in the mind of the different generations, perhaps as a result of different philosophies on life? Certainly those in their younger years are likely to have far more of a tending towards hedonism than their older counterparts: but have we become more hedonistic since 30 years ago, or is it merely that the older generation have forgotten what it was like?

Or is it merely that pleasure is now seeked in entirely different sectors? Perhaps instead of drinking so much, cannabis use is now more widespread (this seems unlikely as, being a young un myself, drinking seems pretty heavily embedded in our culture). Are people choosing to "live fast and die young", to use a horrific cliché, rather than to slowly wear out in a similar manner to how they may feel their parents did?

Perhaps more prominently, is society just heading for the ****ter?

Ian, if you don't post now, I will cry.

EDIT: Just for Rich stone, alternate question:

Is society already in the ****ter?

mrclam

Giga Poster
Hmmm .. my theory is that young people have bad tastes in music and movies (especially comedies) - as they've never heard the jokes before.

By the time you're 30 that "hilarious" movie the teens are going on about is pure suck.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
It's been like that through the ages though.

Our parents were the violent, rampaging football hooligans of the 80's.

Their parents were the sexually promiscuous, drug taking hippies of the 60's.

Their parents were the barbarians in the grip of the ultimate technological evil that is nuclear destruction, unleashed in the 40's.

Their parents were the knee revealing, smoking, female-voting flappers of the 20's.

Their parents were the etc etc etc...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with Stone Cold. I've yet to find (except maybe Ross :p )anyone under 20 on this site that was as depraved and hedonistic as I was in my under 20's. The streets are safer (as long as you avoid the Friday and Saturday night post pub blood bath) and generally society is much better than it was in the days of my youth.

I also don't live with the threat of nuclear war and street riots over my head day in day out as I did in my teenage years.