What's new

210ft steel roller coaster for California's Great America

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this should go in the CGA future plans topic, but I personally thought this was worthy of its own topic, so here goes. Basically, many of you may remember a couple of months back when CGA filed for permission to build a 240ft ride. Well, this permit was later replaced with a new permit to build a 210ft tall "steel roller coaster", which the city of Santa Clara apparently approved. Here's some info from Screamscape:
Screamscape said:
2020 - 210 Ft Tall Steel Coaster - Planning - (6/21/18) If you scroll down to the latest update (6/5/18) at Coaster-Nation, they show off an approval from the city of Santa Clara for CGA to build a 210 foot "steel roller coaster ride".
(6/17/18) While the previous FAA details had vanished, a reader pointed out a new revised application from the park to the FAA for a height variance for a new attraction. A few little things have changed as well, as instead of a 240 foot attraction, the new application lists only building a structure 210 feet tall above ground level and appears to be complete this time, with the park given permission to go ahead with the project with some new timeline dates for construction to be done between March 1, 2019 and finished by December 31, 2019, which would make this a new attraction for the 2020 season.
The location is coming up slightly different as well, as the old coordinates seemed to indicate putting it on the Peanuts Pirates location, instead the coordinates now show it taking over the site of Snoopy's Splash Dance water play attraction.
Those construction dates certainly imply a 2020 attraction, in my eyes.

As for what sort of ride it will be, I could personally see a B&M hyper here, which is what the rumour mill seems to be hinting towards. The height would convey that this will be a slightly smaller B&M hyper similar in size to Mako at SeaWorld, which is not a bad thing because Mako is outstanding!

However, Amusement Insiders seem to think that it will be a Mack hyper for a variety of different reasons that they explain in this video:
I could see a Mack hyper at CGA now that Cedar Fair has started working with Mack. But while there has been Mack track spotted that is reportedly for a California theme park, I see this as more likely to be for SFMM's 2019 project, as many people have predicted that to be a Mack. Also, I'm not sure whether they'd have track fabricated for a 2020 ride yet. Also, Cedar Fair has bought 5 hyper/giga coasters from B&M, I believe (?), whereas a Mack hyper would virtually be new territory for them.

Snoo

The Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this should go in the CGA future plans topic, but I personally thought this was worthy of its own topic, so here goes. Basically, many of you may remember a couple of months back when CGA filed for permission to build a 240ft ride. Well, this permit was later replaced with a new permit to build a 210ft tall "steel roller coaster", which the city of Santa Clara apparently approved. Here's some info from Screamscape:

Those construction dates certainly imply a 2020 attraction, in my eyes.

As for what sort of ride it will be, I could personally see a B&M hyper here, which is what the rumour mill seems to be hinting towards. The height would convey that this will be a slightly smaller B&M hyper similar in size to Mako at SeaWorld, which is not a bad thing because Mako is outstanding!

However, Amusement Insiders seem to think that it will be a Mack hyper for a variety of different reasons that they explain in this video:
I could see a Mack hyper at CGA now that Cedar Fair has started working with Mack. But while there has been Mack track spotted that is reportedly for a California theme park, I see this as more likely to be for SFMM's 2019 project, as many people have predicted that to be a Mack. Also, I'm not sure whether they'd have track fabricated for a 2020 ride yet. Also, Cedar Fair has bought 5 hyper/giga coasters from B&M, I believe (?), whereas a Mack hyper would virtually be new territory for them.

How's that love letter Matt? Still going through the rough drafts?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It is going to be Wicked Twister being relocated because this park is trash and they deserve each other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
:\ over my last four visits to Cedar Point, Wicked Twister has been my most ridden coaster each time. I actually rode it 5 times on Sunday! (Or... Everytime I've been since it's opened)

Is this, by any chance, possible to do because it never holds a queue? I mean, if you were to ride a coaster with a one-hour queue five times in a day, you have to spend more than half the day waiting for it. But if the queue is only ten minutes, you only spend one hour in line. If the coaster barely gets enough traffic to constantly run with full trains, I could see why Cedar Point would consider removing it.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Is this, by any chance, possible to do because it never holds a queue? I mean, if you were to ride a coaster with a one-hour queue five times in a day, you have to spend more than half the day waiting for it. But if the queue is only ten minutes, you only spend one hour in line
Maybe a bit of both. I ride it a lot because I like it. Having a short line let's me ride it a lot.
GateKeeper right next door rarely has a line either when I've been near it... But I don't get off that and immediately get back in line. Although I might give it a courtesy ride. I wouldn't run around for a second ride on Mine Ride or Corkscrew either, in fact I didn't ride Corkscrew at all last Sunday.

Snoo

The Legend
Is this, by any chance, possible to do because it never holds a queue? I mean, if you were to ride a coaster with a one-hour queue five times in a day, you have to spend more than half the day waiting for it. But if the queue is only ten minutes, you only spend one hour in line. If the coaster barely gets enough traffic to constantly run with full trains, I could see why Cedar Point would consider removing it.

It's more so that LIM launchers are expensive, the ride is.. well.. ok at best? And the one trick pony, along with low capacity, has long outlived it's prime. We've seen what CP has done with rides past it's prime.. and I do like me some WT as well but given what the future may hold and what you could possibly do with the area, WT has been the obvious choice short of Mean Streak for some time.

What do you mean?

You seem to love those hacks from YouTube throwing garbage opinions.. as in your opinions are based solely upon theirs in some cases. 1. Forget them, there are much better sources out there (hence.. the love letter comment as you seem to be obsessed). 2. They're literally throwing crap against a wall based off of next to nothing and hoping something will stick just for views. That's not only annoying when you're trying to post opinions on these forums, that's just YT hackery.

Matt N

CF Legend
You seem to love those hacks from YouTube throwing garbage opinions.. as in your opinions are based solely upon theirs in some cases. 1. Forget them, there are much better sources out there (hence.. the love letter comment as you seem to be obsessed). 2. They're literally throwing crap against a wall based off of next to nothing and hoping something will stick just for views. That's not only annoying when you're trying to post opinions on these forums, that's just YT hackery.
Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification @Snoo. So shall I just not include Amusement Insiders' videos in future forum posts?

I'll stick to Screamscape instead.

Anyway, I don't know whether this will be Wicked Twister, as I think CGA needs a standout ride, and Wicked Twister is not that standout ride, in my opinion. Also, if Cedar Fair didn't like maintaining it, then wouldn't they just try and get it out of the Cedar Fair chain completely?

On a random note regarding Wicked Twister, could Cedar Fair change it to an LSM launch system if they wanted to, as I think those are easier to maintain than LIMs?
P.S. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

Snoo

The Legend
Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification @Snoo. So shall I just not include Amusement Insiders' videos in future forum posts?

I'll stick to Screamscape instead.

Screamscape has always been a solid source. Opinion based commentary from non-users is always a tricky slope depending on who you are. Use who you want to use boss man, that's completely on you, but I'd prefer to hear from YOU rather then someone else if you get what I mean. You seem like a good dude with solid opinion in most cases. Hell, if you feel what they say could be true, feel free to post it. But wild, against the wall rumors may not be the best to post as that's just praying. That is more for jokes "Like that 400ft Ice Machine at CP" then actual discussions IMO.

Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification @SnooAnyway, I don't know whether this will be Wicked Twister, as I think CGA needs a standout ride, and Wicked Twister is not that standout ride, in my opinion. Also, if Cedar Fair didn't like maintaining it, then wouldn't they just try and get it out of the Cedar Fair chain completely?

On a random note regarding Wicked Twister, could Cedar Fair change it to an LSM launch system if they wanted to, as I think those are easier to maintain than LIMs?
P.S. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

For Cedar Point, it doesn't really fit. The park is strained as is and the ride isn't very popular anyway as CanobieFan mentioned. Twas a walkon when I went earlier this year as well. I don't think they want to sell it as it can still draw a crowd at a park that needs it, which is why WT keeps coming back as a possibility as CP could/should lose it while CGA definitely needs something big and sexy to complement, which is what WT is to be fair.

As far as retrofitting.. that would be an expensive undertaking. Not only would you have to alter the track (possibly replacing depending on how its mounted), but the trains as well as the whole design of the train would not work. It would be a decent investment but possibly worth it depending on the drain the LIM's are causing.

Matt N

CF Legend
For Cedar Point, it doesn't really fit. The park is strained as is and the ride isn't very popular anyway as CanobieFan mentioned. Twas a walkon when I went earlier this year as well. I don't think they want to sell it as it can still draw a crowd at a park that needs it, which is why WT keeps coming back as a possibility as CP could/should lose it while CGA definitely needs something big and sexy to complement, which is what WT is to be fair.

As far as retrofitting.. that would be an expensive undertaking. Not only would you have to alter the track (possibly replacing depending on how its mounted), but the trains as well as the whole design of the train would not work. It would be a decent investment but possibly worth it depending on the drain the LIM's are causing.
So is Wicked Twister a ride that would fit better in a smaller park like CGA, then? So it could be a nice fit at CGA. I don't know if it's this 2020 thing, though, because I'm not sure how big the plot of land that Lance identified on Screamscape is. If you couldn't already tell, I have never visited CGA in my life. In fact, I haven't visited anything that isn't in the UK or the state of Florida.

Snoo

The Legend
So is Wicked Twister a ride that would fit better in a smaller park like CGA, then? So it could be a nice fit at CGA. I don't know if it's this 2020 thing, though, because I'm not sure how big the plot of land that Lance identified on Screamscape is. If you couldn't already tell, I have never visited CGA in my life. In fact, I haven't visited anything that isn't in the UK or the state of Florida.

I'm basing this more so off of the evidence we have (210ft.. WT is advertised as 215ft) as well as what would compliment their coaster lineup. WT would certainly be unique and would bring in folks. You see that at other parks with similar rides short of Dorney.. where no one visits anyway.. lol. CGA has a lackluster lineup short of Railblazer and Gold Striker from what most have said. Plus, they have no launchers. The sense that it COULD go there is apparent but not definite by any stretch. Plus, the fact that CP wouldn't close and dismantle the ride until the end of the year, transport.. etc etc.. makes 2020 a logical step.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but as @Pear said in the RailBlazer thread, it seems that this has been cancelled:
And there goes the hyper!

ec77eefa8e7554725830af56fecc2f2d.png

Quite unfortunate as the park could have benefited a lot from a hyper. Seems they were very unsuccessful this year.
A real shame, in my opinion; I can imagine that something like Mako would have fitted quite well into CGA! However, I'm sure Cedar Fair has their reasons, and besides, maybe it's just been delayed/modified and the park will submit a new plan in a couple of years time?