What's new

[2013]Walibi Belgium: Turbine becomes Psyké Underground!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
At first they made it seem like a foolish aprils fool, but since this evening, it is officially announced by the park:

legendisback.png

537965_382255065129379_364625343559018_1275480_1122441447_n.jpg

marc

CF Legend
[2013] The Legend is Back!

I hope this is true, if so I know where I will be going next year.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: [2013] The Legend is Back!

^I'm down for that! Can I join you? :--D

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Clarification for those not in the know. :wink:

Original topic (Jan 06, 2011):
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29708&start=0
Single update post (Oct 22, 2011):
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32543&p=765047#p765047
Single postponement post (Nov 05, 2011):
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32543&p=767799#p767799
Some other reliable source:
http://www.rcdb.com/921.htm

Yeah Kristof, I read everything you post & appreciate you keeping us up-to-date on all the parks in your neck of the woods.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

The most important information about Turbine in a 'nutshell' underneath:

* Turbine re-opening in 2013.
* Construction works will start next month and will take over 12 months.
* New name for Turbine.
* Will be built completely indoor to reduce noise for the Walibi locals (the Belgian version of Alton Towers' Ropers).
* Brand new theme for the ride. It is rumored that the ride will have another theme than Speed of Sound in Walibi Holland. Early concept arts were about an abandoned factory with the far end spikes of the ride being enclosed by collapsed chimneys.
* Brand new themed area around Turbine, including the FlashBack log-flume, Dragon Boats, Musical Xperience, Fabulous Arena: The Fabulous Area.
* Sound -and lighteffects during the ride.
* New trains including lap-bars like the old ones had.
* Indoor or underground queue.
* Walibi Belgium opened a special Sirocco/Turbine blog on their website to allow people to see the progress on the construction of the ride. They also created a special Facebookpage for Sirocco/Turbine.
* Construction of the ride by Gerstlauer.

Nic

Strata Poster

Ooooh, fab! Blates heading there next year! SoManyCREDS! <3

Lofty

CF Legend

Ok, this actually sounds awesome, it sounds fantastic. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on the construction.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

The topic title hints in the direction of Holiday World. Could it be changed to reflect some more Walibi-y?

Other than that, though, nice news. Good to see a park taking care of its old classics. That being said, I wouldn't have mind an entirely new ride some time either. When was the last time they got a new coaster that worked?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: [2013]Walibi Belgium: The Legend is Back!

Dammit, next year is Holland for me - ah well, decent enough rides but nothing amazing ;)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

As a ride type, it's pretty pants. I never rated Thunder Looper, nor the one I did at SF Kentucky Fried Kingdom. However, when I visited WB several years ago, I really wanted to ride it. I loved the thought of one of these mediocre rides being mainly enclosed and watching the room spin pivot me. I was gutted it was SBNO. So yeah, I think I could quite happily return to WB next year for this; Loup Garou (or whatever it's called) and the Big Thunder Mountain rip-off are bonuses, too <3

KristofWB said:
New trains including lap-bars like the old ones had.
Excellent. Part of the thrill of the mediocre Thunder Looper was feeling unsafe. Pointlessly adding OTSR would kill the thrill.

Construction of the ride by Gerstlauer.
Anybody slightly concerned about this?

marc

CF Legend
[2013]Walibi Belgium: The Legend is Back!

^I used to be until I found out its the same people that used to work for them and they service the other rides left.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

By the way, Walibi Belgium placed the very first promotional picture for Sirocco on their Facebook page about the re-opening of Turbine. I thought it would be nice to share it with you...

552291_381027688585450_364625343559018_1272096_197551013_n.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Well, it's been open long enough without incident. I think it's safe ;)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

At actually looks like the support footers are ball joints! That's cool, a concept I've seen used in the textbook exercises a lot of times, but never in reality.

It allows the supports to bend slightly under the forces of the moving train. If you just cement a pole to the ground, and start tugging the end of it, the forces will be the strongest near the ground. If you add in some flexibility, you can lift the stress off the pole, allowing the force to move the joint instead of bending the pole there.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

As a kind of promotional stunt, Walibi Belgium has asked their 223.000 Facebookfans to help to find a new name for Turbine. So it seems the ride will be renamed afterall. Some of the names with most votes are: UpsideDown, ReBorn!, TimeFlash, The Legend, and some more other dull names.

However, it is confirmed that with the opening of the new Turbine, a new themed area will be opened as well; 'The Fabulous Area', including Turbine, the FlashBack logflume and the Dragon Boats. This new zone will be probably themed in the same kind of theme as the logflume FlashBack. The FlashBack is themed as an old abandoned factory from 1896 that hides a machine to make visitors younger. So I guess Turbine will be themed as some kind of freaky machine having another crazy story.

The FlashBack theme:
thumb_54190d6c834774b64befe64db97140e0_640_480_1.jpg

thumb_de242d10eea8efcfad97ffaad1c8a075_800_600_1.jpg

On and offride video FlashBack
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNrIz_J7GZM&feature=fvsr[/youtube]