What's new

€250m for Walt Disney Studios, Paris

peep

CF Legend
Re: €250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

^^That first rumour I've heard a variation of from a fairly trustworthy source and it's a LOT better than that, I still doubt it'll happen and I don't want to say any more than I have on that matter. The second one I've never heard.

Another rumour is that the park will finally get Soarin' which the plot of land it has allocated has been sitting empty since day one (space in between Cinemagique and Playhouse Disney live). Still, lots of things they can do with the park and just the fact it'll be getting something new in the next few years is exciting.

EDIT: Lol, Marc posted about Soarin' at the same time.

Little Mermaid, we live in hope for still, same goes for Winnie the Pooh which I believe was meant to be in the same new area as mermaid.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I know the Studios is a mess, so it does need sorting, but a new attraction in the main park wouldn't go a miss! (And them new Vekoma trains for Space Mountain...)

Martyn B

CF Legend

There are strong rumours to suggest that after the Ratatouille dark ride, Toy Story Mania will be built at the Walt Disney Studios.

peep

CF Legend

Yeah, apparently as part of the Toy Story Playland area too but I can't see where there is room for it. The rumour was started because the CEO of Paris mentioned it possibly coming to Paris in an interview. Rumours point at a 2015/2016 opening.

marc

CF Legend

I think they were silly not getting it when the land opened it would have been perfect for the park.

As Peep said god knows where they will fit it in, they would have to extend the area.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Well apparently, they are going to be ditching the Studio 'theme', so that could result in the removal of the Tramp Tour, which would free up a lot of space behind the Toy Story Playland.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Lmao, tramp tour! If they ditch the 'movie' theme then what are they going to so with all the massive 'studio' buildings? Should we expect to see a California adventure style rehaul on the place? I hope so because the whole park is flawed and bollocks from the start, I hope we begin to see some
more french inspired stuff to be honest, the film theme was the perfect opportunity to do that what with the birth of film pretty much taking place in France, but they failed to incorporate that somehow.

Im glad to see an original dark ride in the ratatouille thing and would like to see the park continue to add new things like thus rather than just plonking another Toy Story Mania down!

marc

CF Legend

^Agree with that part that it would be great to see original rides.

I hope they add more to the other park as well, there is so much wasted space.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I got it wrong with dropping the Studio theme, its the 'working' Studio theme that they are supposed to be dropping.

But then other rumours are saying that the Studios will be renamed "Disney's Hollywood Adventure", and will feature a Marvel area, Pixar land and Hollywood studios area.

Just take it as it comes really ;)

Lancebloke

Roller Poster
Re: Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris | Land Expansion

Went to HS in Orlando a few months back and it is definitely an odd park. The side over by LMA is dead in the evening even though there are a couple of attractions open. The other side is absolutely rammed though. They need something over the left hand side to get people over there in the evenings and not leaving it so deserted.

Haven't made it to the Paris version just yet but it sounds like there are several parts of the park that have that same feeling...

peep

CF Legend

The problems with the Florida park are totally different than the issues with the French one. The French park in a way was well designed in the fact it's a circle and no area of the park is dead because of the time of day. People seem to be moaning about the Florida park because of the lack of attractions overall because apparently all of a sudden a Disney park is only good if it's got lots of rides, it's not allowed a shovel load of shows.

By the sound of it the Florida park could see a DCA style makeover sooner than the Paris park. However we're relying on rumours through the grapevine so who knows.

Mark

Strata Poster

peep said:
The problems with the Florida park are totally different than the issues with the French one. The French park in a way was well designed in the fact it's a circle and no area of the park is dead because of the time of day. People seem to be moaning about the Florida park because of the lack of attractions overall because apparently all of a sudden a Disney park is only good if it's got lots of rides, it's not allowed a shovel load of shows.

By the sound of it the Florida park could see a DCA style makeover sooner than the Paris park. However we're relying on rumours through the grapevine so who knows.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that is entirely true to be fair. The French studios park (for me a at least) never felt like a circle at all, it felt like a T shape with dead ends over by Rock-n-Roller and The Agrabah Carpets. Thankfully though, they have developed more and it is becoming more like the circle you mention although I still thought Toy Story land was a terrible dead end area. I daresay that is set to change as more attractions go in around it though. Fingers crossed. I always want to love the studio park but something always seems a bit soulless about it. I feel the same about the Florida version too oddly.

However, My main source of woe with the Florida Hollywood Studios is not so much the dead ends but in areas the layout is bit confusing. Although I can get over that, what I find really frustrating is the shows that really could do with an update. Indiana Jones for instance. I first saw that show back in 1999 and it hasn't changed since. I don't think the films are all that relevant to a modern day audience (despite the last film) and it either needs a complete rethink or a totally new theme.

I don't mind having a shovel load of shows and theatrics (after all, that is part of the main concept of a studios park) but can they be updated and be relevant please. The Great Movie Ride is just crying out for updates. Its a fantastic little ride but no one seems to bother with it because of a) how it is hidden away and b) it is really out of date.

Fingers crossed on the massive overhaul like DCA but please, please, please no carbon copy of CArs Land. Do something original!

Also
The side over by LMA is dead in the evening even though there are a couple of attractions open. The other side is absolutely rammed though. They need something over the left hand side to get people over there in the evenings and not leaving it so deserted.

I think that has more to do with the fact people want to hang around near the entrance of Fantasmic! for when they open the queue because it often gets a massive queue and isn't always guaranteed seating, particularly when they are busier. I remember my first visit we were advised by an op on another ride (the backlot) to head over to Fantasmic! right away in order to get a seat... it was 2.5 hours before showtime. Its much like how the rest of the Magic Kingdom dies off a bit whilst everyone waits on Main Street for the fireworks.

Anyways, back to Paris now, having mentioned Fantasmic, again, I will say the park really needs a World of Colour or Fantasmic style kiss goodnight and that would really help retain visitors for full days.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Why is this in Park construction? Its just a news thread regarding the big slab of money that DLP have been given to improve the WDS park.

Ratatouille is said to be the only new attraction coming out of that money. The rest is said to be behind the scenes stuff and cosmetic improvements.

Mark

Strata Poster

I believe it was put here because originally the large slab of money suggested more than just Ratatouille (or back stage/cosmetic things) and was considered to be for a more grand California Adventure-esque park wide redevelopment.

Even you suggested that Toy Story Mania would also come shortly after Ratatouille.

Mark

Strata Poster

I do see what you mean. I think the original press release was a little ambiguous as to what it was exactly when it said "a multi-year expansion of the Walt Disney Studios® Park".

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris | Land Expansion?

Moved the topic back, sorry - it's one that slipped through my checking of what was under construction and not.