What's new

€250m for Walt Disney Studios, Paris

Mark

Strata Poster
Re: €250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

nadroJ said:
I just want to see a bit of originality in Disney Parks. I say it in every Disney topic, but we KNOW they're capable of awesome, original storylines, themes, etc. I LOATHE movie tie-in rides. I'm sure the Toy Story area is great, but it just seems to me to be the easy way out. I'm really excited about the two new areas being built at HKDL, and would really love to see a similar project at my 'home' Disney park.

I wish there was a 'Like' button on CF sometimes. I have nothing major to do but I totally agree with Jordan.

What is so great about the original Magic Kingdom parks is that the vast majority of the attractions have absolutely nothing to do with the films. The only land that was really dedicated to that was Fantasyland. All the other rides and shows in other lands have new stories to tell. They need to seriously think about this.

However, it is worth bearing in mind that the studio parks are all about the movie tie-ins because that is essentially what a 'studios' park is.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

Ben said:
^The first post reads like they had a credit facilty of €100million, which they hadn't touched, and now they've gone to Disney for another €150million, which makes a total of €250million they CAN use now. Though "This Additional Facility expires on September 30, 2018 and was advanced in connection with the approval from its lenders to increase the Group’s investments by up to € 250 million" that doesn't make THAT much sense to me, it sort of suggests the Disney group have invested another €100million SOMEWHERE. Like, that reads as if the group (Disney)'s investments are increasing by up to €250million, including this €150million in addition to the €100million they already had...? It's quite badly worded though, so I'm just stabbing in the dark.

The only part of it that really excites me is the part about it involving a new ride <3 I can't imagine the numbers quoted here mean ANYTHING realted to how much they'll actually spend though, as has been pointed out.

For those of you not familiar with finance, an RCF is the corporate finance equivalent of an overdraft.

Just genuinely seems a stupid and bad financing plan to NEVER use an RCF (they cost you even when you don't use them) then to apply for an additional one to use a large proportion of both for a LONG TERM project (they should be used for short term funding really...) It just seems as if they've failed corporate finance 101- there are so many better financing alternatives to raise 100mm+ project financing.

But effectively, Disney France have increased their maximum 'overdraft' to buy a shiny new toy- would you max out your overdraft in an economy like this? No. Equally, I doubt Disney Paris will use more than 100mm on improvements.

Either way, I assume they've carefully considered their options within the current markets and this may be the best they can do, but a) it looks weird from the outside b) dont expect 250mm of new rides.

marc

CF Legend

Well they have to do something as something big as the movie park is making a lose year after year and it cannot go on like that.

peep

CF Legend

By the sounds of it, Paris didn't apply for this addition it was just given to them by the Walt Disney Company which owns nearly 40% of the resort. Paris have been applying for additional loans before this and due to the economic climate the banks weren't willing to commit. I reckon this is their only option as they NEED to invest to bring in new customers and to keep current customers coming back. They've had issues with finance from day 1 and they will be in debt until 202-something. However saying that overall the resort is making money and if it continues the way it is will defo be meeting that date in whatever year for becoming debt-free.

I agree that we won't be seeing the full 250m€ being spent but the rumoured cost for the Ratatouille attraction is 150m€. Whether any of this is true is anyones guess to be honest.

spicy

Giga Poster
€250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

If Walt Disney just owned the parks out right it would be so much simpler, rather than the Walt Disney company putting money in this way, essentially plummeting there own park further into debt.

It's like Merlin lending the £20m to Thorpe for Swarm and needing to be paid back, but on a much larger scale.

Still at least ratatouille should be built now and the Studios will receive some attention.

marc

CF Legend

Will the park get what it needs though that's the question. Do they actually know what people don't like about it?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Do they know people dont like it? Never really noticed the GP not liking it. I think the only people who dislike the Studios are enthusiasts and the Imagineers.

Alos, how do we even know ifs loosing money?

Its a little off topic I know, but every year when attendance figures are released, the same thing is said about the Studios " no one goes there etc" as it only shows something like 2.4m, where as the other park has about 16m. Thats because the majority of people visiting buy park hopper tickets, and the majority of them go into the main Disneyland park first, where the ticket gets counted, and from then on, for that day, no matter what park you go into, its classed as a re-entry.

marc

CF Legend

The ticket machine only counts it as re entry if you go back to the same park. This question was asked ages ago on TPR and a park worker explained, I am not searching for the post it was the last time the figures were released.

The 1st time I went to the Studio Park I liked it, the next time I went back I could not wait to get out.

Mark

Strata Poster

^Still, we do have a good reason to go back know that we know Ratatouille is going in! Plus we haven't see any of the Toy Story stuff yet. I daresay there are many that are in the same position and hopefully the Ratatouille dark ride will be a sufficient enough E Ticket type attraction to at least start pulling people back in. The park still has a long way to go though.

To be fair, it always reminds me of Hollywood Studios in Orlando in the sense that both parks have always struggled to maintain an audience. Since its original beginnings as MGM Studios the park has seen massive changes and additions to try and get people through the door.

Personally I think that the Paris version really needs to consider some of the other types of attractions too. Lights Motors Action has a significant pulling capacity but other than that, is there really anything that will keep people in the park all day. People tend to stick around at Hollywood Studios because inbetween riding they are also waiting for show times at Beauty and the Beast, the Parade or into the evening Fantasmic. Fantasmic show is a prime example because it is somewhat of a signature and a must-do when you are in Orlando. It gets publicisied more than the rides do and to massive reception. I really think that the Studios Park needs a signature end of day show to keep people hanging around a bit longer. Something along the lines of World of Colour or Fantasmic would be a massive addition to the park and so rather than just looking at rides I think they need to look at the entertainment offer too.

peep

CF Legend

Rumours have been going round for years about the Studios getting Fantasmic, whether we'll ever see it happen is another story.

Really glad that a planning application has already gone in, clearly shows they want to continue work ASAP. Most of the land for the attraction was cleared at the same time as TSPL being built and for some reason the Ratatouille street was built at the same time which you can actually walk up and down. It's a bit like how the park opened with a toilet block themed to ToT yet it wasn't for like another 5 years until the ride actually opened.

Mark

Strata Poster

Last I heard rumour wise was that the Fantasmic idea had been scrapped and they were considering something more like World of Colour. Perhaps it could be an amalgamation of the two a bit like in Tokyo.

I just really think they need a big crowd puller of a show. Would certainly make me want to go and actually stick around a bit more... At present, I go in, do the coasters, ToT and possibly a couple of others and then go back to the main park. By lunchtime we are done and thinking about it, not once have I ever stayed in the studios all day, we run out of things to do. However, if they had something like a big end of day show, I would be more inclined to stick around... Or I'd do the main park and then head over to studios later perhaps :p

And yes, I am also pleased that Ratatouille is finally getting going.

peep

CF Legend

^yeah, Fantasmic/World of colour, same thing :p That project will defo be a lot further down the line due to Disney Dream show starting in April in the DL parc (which should be amazing).

In regards to how you go round the Studios that's what I don't like, is that people are clearly visiting the Studios and missing out on some of the best things about the park. I actually think Cinemagique is miles better than the Stunt show yet the stunt show pulls in massive crowds and Cinemagique doesn't, I just don't get it. People seem to be scared of indoor attractions, which at a Studio park, is what you're going to get a lot of.

I think the park retained a fair portion of visitors when it had the old parade because people would wait around for it but then they'd leave the park straight after (I notice this with the other park too) as if it's meant as a signal for the park closure for the day. The new parade is really pants though (cars and stars) and even I don't bother with it.

I think you'll love TSPL though, from the outside and photos it looks vulgar but when you're standing in it there is such a fantastic change in atmosphere and it's just so immersive, just works really well. The only ride in the area not worth going on is Slinky dog, very slow.

marc

CF Legend

I guess the problem with the shows you mention is I have done them like 4 times now, good the 1st and 2nd time no need to do them again.

Probably next time I go I will do them as its been a few years. Orlando tend to update things and add parts dlp don't seem to do this.

The stunt show in Paris just takes to long and I got bored, Orlando was better as it moved faster.

The tour, get rid of it no point

That's the problem with the studio park, it needs updating and new things to get people back. But not €150 million on just one attraction that is just the Little Mermaid with different scenes. It will be good don't get me wrong but again will it carry on getting the crowds in 5 years?

The Halloween stuff in there looked amazing though.

The park just needs a tidy up and updating and it will be ok. As I said 1st time I went I loved it.

People at work that have been also got bored in the studio park and left and they are a family.

I loved California adventure the way it was so maybe I have no taste lol.

Mark

Strata Poster

peep said:
In regards to how you go round the Studios that's what I don't like, is that people are clearly visiting the Studios and missing out on some of the best things about the park. I actually think Cinemagique is miles better than the Stunt show yet the stunt show pulls in massive crowds and Cinemagique doesn't, I just don't get it. People seem to be scared of indoor attractions, which at a Studio park, is what you're going to get a lot of.

I think you might have misread me, as I mentioned in a previous post, I tend to always do Cinemagique everytime, I adore it. Animagique was god awful though and basically a poor relative of Floridas Philharmagic, so I normally skip that. I've been in the park and done nearly everything except for the magic carpets. Last time we even did Armageddon again (so bored of it now) just for something to do and we were still all done by 2.30pm and we ended up back in the main park.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

marc said:

The stunt show in Paris just takes to long and I got bored, Orlando was better as it moved faster.

They removed the grand finale too, where the car makes the jump into the tunnel and then a big explosion. At the end now not much but a fire ball happens. We dont bother with it any more, they need to change the script.

marc

CF Legend

Tbh I think the problem is having to do it in French then translate into English, cannot really be helped.

Again though for me it's a one time show, there's just not many things in the park I want to do again.

The stitch thing we nearly got crushed due to people rushing to be at the front.

Martyn B

CF Legend

The tour, get rid of it no point

There was a rumour going around saying that the Tram Tour would be removed, and replaced with a lake, which would house the World of Colour show.

And I also remember reading some rumours about Journey to the centre of the Earth...

marc

CF Legend

I also read that the indie ride was being built plus little mermaid and soarin but none have happened.