What's new

€250m for Walt Disney Studios, Paris

Martyn B

CF Legend
(Marne-la-Vallée, January 10, 2012) Euro Disney S.C.A. (the "Company"), parent company of Euro
Disney Associés S.C.A., operator of Disneyland® Paris (together the "Group"), announces that, on January 6,
2012, it has obtained an additional standby revolving credit facility (the "Additional Facility") of
€ 150 million from The Walt Disney Company. This Additional Facility expires on September 30, 2018 and
was advanced in connection with the approval from its lenders to increase the Group’s investments by up to
€ 250 million. These investments correspond to the annual recurring investment budget for fiscal year 2012
and a multi-year expansion of the Walt Disney Studios® Park, which includes a new attraction. The
Additional Facility is separate from the € 100 million existing standby revolving credit facility (the "Existing
Facility"), which expires on September 30, 2014 and is still undrawn. The other terms and conditions of the
Additional Facility are substantially the same as the Existing Facility.

http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CO ... credit.pdf

http://www.magicforum.eu/viewtopic.php? ... &start=780

Woop! I hope the money is well spent, and maybe it'll kick start things with the Ratatouille dark ride!

marc

CF Legend
€250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

About time tbh looks like Disney are having to help out more. I wish they could just take it over tbh.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: €250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

They should do a Californian Adventure and pretty much start again where the studios are concerned </3 I think the main park just needs touching up, but saying that I haven't been since 2008 so can't really comment.

Martyn B

CF Legend

^ The main park has been touched up a lot recently, there's been a lot of refurbs taking place over the last year or so.

Ben

CF Legend

The Studios needed it loads more than California Adventure ever did. It's such a dump <//3

nadroJ

CF Legend

Urggghhh I knowww and it's so unorganised </3

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
They should do a Californian Adventure and pretty much start again where the studios are concerned </3

This basically...

They need to just start again... Awfully designed park...

rich210uk

Mega Poster

€250m! Are they knocking the Studios down and starting again? :) I remember when we went to Studios when they first opened... lol There wasnt much to do and it hasnt really changed much now. It does feel like it was thrown together in a day ^^no organisation or real theme to it.

Mark

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
They should do a Californian Adventure and pretty much start again where the studios are concerned </3 I think the main park just needs touching up, but saying that I haven't been since 2008 so can't really comment.

Nail. On. Head.

It needs some serious development and TLC. I suggest Toy Story Mania just for starters, because that is full of win.

The worrying thing is, besides adding more attractions, I am not entirely sure what they can do with the buildings themselves. Its almost a case of how do you polish a turd. Everytime I walk in there I notice the complete lack of atmosphere or magic. When you compare it to the main park its just a soulless vacuum but I wouldnt know where to start in giving it an atmosphere.

Either way, having a nice big chunk of cash for development and so on should be a positive thing. Does this also include the Ratatouille attraction?

peep

CF Legend

Mark said:
I suggest Toy Story Mania just for starters, because that is full of win.

I don't care how good that ride is Paris shouldn't get it. If they do they might as well rename the resort after the franchise.

DLRP Today reckon Ratatouille will cost around 150m€ so that leaves 100m€ for the refurb project for the Studios. They've confirmed that this new money is for ONE new ride and the redevelopment of the Studios (like they did in California). I think us fans have suspected this for a couple of years now but I don't think any of us predicted this huge cash injection purely for the purpose of investment in new additions etc.

The theory they posted, which makes total sense, is that they'll add new things to the resort during non-celebration years, so we won't be seeing anything this year or next but 2014 we'll start to see the investment on park. They reckon we could still be seeing this exciting Ratatouille attraction open in 2014 and I hope so, sounds fantastic and it'll do wonders for the park.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

The idea of an RCF is that you shouldn't plan to draw it all. It's called revolving as typically companies will borrow it to cover shortfalls etc only and vary their borrowing between 0 and 75% over the life of the facility. If Disney drew the whole 250mm it would be epically stupid, as they would then have no facilities to draw from in future. Typically you use RCF's to cover very short term expenditures when you expect to be able to repayment soon. This is also a relatively high cost method of borrowing due to the optionality associated with being able to draw up to 250mm whenever you want- I guess they expect to be able to pay back large parts of the investment pretty quickly.

I would expect the maximum amount Disney can feasibly use of this facility and thus available for the investment within their business plan to be around 150mm.

Mark

Strata Poster

peep said:
Mark said:
I suggest Toy Story Mania just for starters, because that is full of win.

I don't care how good that ride is Paris shouldn't get it. If they do they might as well rename the resort after the franchise.

Hmmm fair point. I would rather they had just put in that one attraction rather than the Toy Story land that they did although I yet to see it in the flesh. Of what went into the land I can only really see one of the attractions being of interest to me :-(

I think the whole of the left hand side of the park does need some serious work because it just seems a long walkway of nothing leading up the RnR. Don't get me wrong I adore the cinemagic film and I love the Stitch attraction (when you don't get trampled by other guests clambering to get front seats) but that whole area of the feels the flattest in terms of atmosphere.

Martyn B

CF Legend

WDS is odd. It is a bit of a mish mash, but I kinda like it (just not as a Disney park). But even still, when I go back and think of the rides, I seem to like most of them.

LOVE: Crush, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' RC, Animagique, Cinemagique, Studio 1, Stunt Show and Stitch Live.

Like: Art of Disney Animation and Toy Story Playland. Dislike: Amageddon and Tram Tour.

(makes me think of how awful it was before the likes of ToT etc!)

And whilst the Rat ride sounds like its going to be amazing, its only going to add to the mish mash of the park...

marc

CF Legend
€250m expansion for Walt Disney Studios Park, Paris

Tbh Hollywood studios in Orlando is a mishmash of rides as well but unlike dlp they sort of kept the same themed stuff together. It's not possible for dlp to sort that out.

Martyn B

CF Legend

In the original plans for WDS it was intended to have nice flooring, with lots of trees, and nice buildings like Florida's version. So god know whats happened there. with them ditching that and going ro tin sheds?!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

coasterdude_1 said:
The idea of an RCF is that you shouldn't plan to draw it all. It's called revolving as typically companies will borrow it to cover shortfalls etc only and vary their borrowing between 0 and 75% over the life of the facility. If Disney drew the whole 250mm it would be epically stupid, as they would then have no facilities to draw from in future. Typically you use RCF's to cover very short term expenditures when you expect to be able to repayment soon. This is also a relatively high cost method of borrowing due to the optionality associated with being able to draw up to 250mm whenever you want- I guess they expect to be able to pay back large parts of the investment pretty quickly.

I would expect the maximum amount Disney can feasibly use of this facility and thus available for the investment within their business plan to be around 150mm.

Sorry, but just reposting this in the vain hope that anyone will actually bother to read it (along with the original post that explained the 250 million) before we just go on another "THEY SHOULD...!" topic based on the title of the thread.

They HAVEN'T just had 250,000,000 dumped on their desk to do what they want with.

Mark

Strata Poster

Indeed. I got it Gavin :p

Basically they will probably do a one off attraction (probably for 2014 season) and then some staggered tidying up...

Ben

CF Legend

^The first post reads like they had a credit facilty of €100million, which they hadn't touched, and now they've gone to Disney for another €150million, which makes a total of €250million they CAN use now. Though "This Additional Facility expires on September 30, 2018 and was advanced in connection with the approval from its lenders to increase the Group’s investments by up to € 250 million" that doesn't make THAT much sense to me, it sort of suggests the Disney group have invested another €100million SOMEWHERE. Like, that reads as if the group (Disney)'s investments are increasing by up to €250million, including this €150million in addition to the €100million they already had...? It's quite badly worded though, so I'm just stabbing in the dark.

The only part of it that really excites me is the part about it involving a new ride <3 I can't imagine the numbers quoted here mean ANYTHING realted to how much they'll actually spend though, as has been pointed out.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I just want to see a bit of originality in Disney Parks. I say it in every Disney topic, but we KNOW they're capable of awesome, original storylines, themes, etc. I LOATHE movie tie-in rides. I'm sure the Toy Story area is great, but it just seems to me to be the easy way out. I'm really excited about the two new areas being built at HKDL, and would really love to see a similar project at my 'home' Disney park.