What's new

B&M Vest Restraints

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Lots of people claim these are some of the worst restraints in the amusement industry. I've ridden the swarm, the only coaster I've ridden with these restraints, and I don't mind them. I some coasters worse than others? Thoughts?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I hate them.

They work on the flyers because you're pushing your weight on them so they don't suffocate whilst offering great support and a sense of freedom. But when sitting upright, it's the complete opposite.

And that's why I dislike them.

The old B&M OTSR is so perfect. Why did they change it?

I feel suffocated in the vest and it often crushes my hips or anything in my pockets to extreme degrees. I like to be thrown about in a restraint, especially because I'm pretty small so I rattle around a lot and I'm used to that. They've ruined any sense of drama or physical movement from forces, not you just get pressure. And on the wing coasters, the rattling roughness is magnified because you're held soooo tight.

They're bad. Really bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think Joey's pretty much nailed it. Although I admit I don't find them too offensive, I do see the issue with them.

This is the biggest question:
The old B&M OTSR is so perfect. Why did they change it?

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Possibly my worst coaster experience was getting stuck on the Swarm's brake run on a hot day. It was only for a few minutes but it was so suffocatingly uncomfortable I wish I had made a complaint looking back. I literally couldn't breathe properly.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I've only had a few bad experiences with the vest restraints. Both times with like @Jamesss had. It was banshee and Gatekeeper, and Gatekeeper was much worse.

GigaG

Roller Poster
Putting them on Valravn was a bit excessive. But they're not that bad, just a bit of buzzkill when you can't experience the airtime very well.

Gatekeeper's no longer lock, but they're still tight. On Valravn and Banshee, they are fairly loose vests compared to GK.

Keep in mind though, that the public probably doesn't like the experience of sliding around in their restraints. So that's probably part of why we lost many buzz bars, non-stapling lapbars, and now possibly even standard OTSRs.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I truly don't want OTSR's to go away.

unless they were on newer Intamins. Those hard restraints are trash IMO.

balrog

Mega Poster
I don't think Vekoma's and Gerlauer's OTSR would be missed. I never experiences B&M vests, but I must agree their OTSR are not bad, even for a bigger guy like me (6 ft 3). B&M invert seats, however, are not any good for people like me, as they are to narrow at the shoulder blades level.

Last edited: