What's new

Underrated Family Coasters

Sandman

Giga Poster
Let's talk about some underrated family coasters.

I reckon there's probably quite a lot of solid family coasters that are overlooked amongst enthusiasts because of the abundance of major thrill coasters that have been built in the last decade. We now have many 'big' family coasters that replicate certain elements of thrill coasters to appeal to a middle market between families and thrill seekers.

Are there any really fun family coasters out there you barely see mentioned?

An example for me would be Mine Train Ulven at Bakken. Not particularly long or massively thrilling, but definitely something I believe packs more of a punch than the sorts of 'big name' family coasters many enthusiasts like to discuss. Although it lacks a real theme or identity, I think that the layout gives the ride such a good pace compared to rides like Thirteen, Pegase Express or even a more traditional mine train like Colorado Adventure at Phantasialand.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Pretty much every Zierer Tivoli I've ridden, I think they're great fun. Orange Streak is amazing running through the mall like that and the little cloned ones are full of fun laterals that leave you to slide in your seat.

Whizzer was awesome too, the trains are super comfy and the ride layout is pretty smooth for such an old coaster.

It's barely a family ride but Thunderation as well, it's one of my favorite Arrows.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Dwervelwind @ Toverland is one of the best family coasters I've ridden. Good fun with some decent forces, lovely theming, OBA and a 1M height restriction. It's hardly spoken about really, though everyone at 2016's GhosterForce enjoyed it.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Not sure if Lisebergbanan can be considered a family coaster but it gets my vote for sure. Honorable mentions to Colorado Express at Phanta and anything built by PAX

Will

Strata Poster
Good call on Mine Train Ulven, I actually really like mid-size family coasters, often more than the park's more thrilling offerings
I'm going to volunteer Wild Train (Parc St Paul), Drakkar (Didiland), Gold Mine (Fraispertuis City), Pegasus (Europa Park), Plohseidon (Plohn) and Dragonfly (Duinrell)
And Mammut at Tripsdrill, I think probably counts. I'd quite like to ride more Pax and Soquet coasters.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Omg I've got (arguably) 11 family coasters in my top 25 dddfdfgvvfdd
Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom is the best one as are a few other Disney ones. I keep going on about Maurer Spinners (Winjas, Dragon's Fury, Spinball Whizzer), but them as well. Is Joris a family coaster because that is also holy.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Space Mountain @ MK is so underrated. I feel like nobody ranks it high, and I just don't get that! It has fantastic ejector air all over. The trains are so comfy, and they make the rough turns and hills much more fun. Plus, it has that amazing dome, with darkness and stars all around.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Space Mountain MK, Whizzer, and Outlaw(Adventureland) all spring to mind. Very solid coasters there, and I rarely see them on many lists.

ASteelersMidget

Roller Poster
Love me some Space Mountain at MK. I'd also add Matterhorn Bobsleds to that list thought that may just be me.

Firechaser Express is great and i'll give a shoutout to what is more nostalgia fueled then anything else but Bobsleds at Seabreeze will always have a soft spot in my heart

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
My top 5:

1 - Roar o saurus, story land - Ultimate proof that family/kiddie coasters are far from boring!
2 - Joris en de draak, Efteling - You could insert a few GCI coasters here!
3 - Orkanen, Farup - smooth and lovely!
4 - Polar Xplorer, legoland - the pre drop section is everything 13's should have been
5 - Goetterblitz, family park - just great fun

Special mention to the eos coaster at sparky's in al ghurair

And for off the shelf rides, the small and medium zierer tivoli's are pretty sweet!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I think both Lisebergbanan and Joris both count as family coasters although Lise is probably not directly marketed as such?

Halvar is a very interesting one - always wanted to ride it for that reason. It does share qualities with Lisebergbanan which actually also reminds me of:

*EDIT* Coaster Hipster beat me to it by a matter of seconds :D

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Booster bike at Toverland, Dwervelwind is well-rated i think
Vogal Rok at Efteling
Matterhorn Blitz at Europa
Huracan at Bellewarde

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I'm not sure this qualifies for the thread as it borders on thrill ride and I wouldn't say it never gets discussed, but Quassy's Wooden Warrior is a very small coaster in a very family-oriented park (more of a permanent carnival), yet it has fantastic airtime and drops throughout and is a hell of a lot of fun.

Afterthought: And Knotts' Pony Express is a very short family coaster, but since the rider is actually straddling a horse and leaning far forward to hold on, the launch and swooping hills are far more intense and fun then they have any right to be.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Wooden Warrior/Roar'O'Saurus are not underrated at all though. Everyone knows they are near the top of the family coaster pile.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Wooden Warrior/Roar'O'Saurus are not underrated at all though. Everyone knows they are near the top of the family coaster pile.

I Guess it's more that there in parks which are a bit off the beaten path..

Which probably leaves the only true "underrated" coaster on my list as Polar xplorer in LEGOLAND - hardly ever see people rave about that one!

mouse

Giga Poster
Cobra at Paulton's Park! Exciting wild mouse turns, good speed and even some airtime. Vampire is also one of the more exciting coasters in the UK, despite being a family ride.