What's new

Mack Rides Mega Coaster Restraints

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
How good are Mack's OTS Lap bars? They look pretty comfy and get decent reviews, but are they really that good? I'm only asking because I've never ridden one, and Icon will likely be my first when it opens, so I just want to get a feel for them. Do they also compare with B&M clamshell (hyper coaster) restraints?

Last edited:

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I love them. They are really comfy, you feel free and safe at the same time, because there is no metal tube between your legs (even if I heard people saying that, but I don't think that was related to roller coasters) and because they come from above you they have a better angle, so they're really mainly on your legs and not your stomach. And of course they don't actually touch your shoulder. I find the best thing about them are the holding grips if you use them (which I did on my first ride on blue fire but of course not anymore :p) they are in front of you like a steering wheel, you can hold tight without having to twist your arms weirdly or attack your seat neighbor with your elbows.

Smithy

Strata Poster
They're not the comfiest restraints I've sat in, but they're not far from it. The amount of movement and freedom your entire upper bdy has is unreal.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
What Ireeb and Smith said. They're lovely, one of the nicest seat/restraint combos out there.
Easily on a par with the B&M clamshells I'd say.
Just think, in a few months time you'll be able to try them out for yourself. Won't be long now, Sunshine ;)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
My fave restraints. Ultra comfy, you feel exposed and you get a lot of airtime with them. The shape of the seat is also perfect. I also love how the floor is quite low so your legs are dangling.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Also a nice feature of Mack trains: Every back row of a car is elevated for a better view.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Super comfy, however if you're short the raised handle bit is kind of annoying as it's pretty high up and blocks your vision if you're not taller than about 5ft 6 or so.

Personally I prefer clamshells, but only because I'm little (ish).

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I like all of the things mentioned above but would like to add the personal space you get is a lot more generous than most others. No clashing arms or folded knees or awkward twisted shoulders. Excellent restraints, found them much better than the Intamin version (Taron).

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Love the Mack mega trains and especially enjoy the freedom and space they provide, especially as someone on the large-ish side who struggles with contorting their body into the old Intamin trains.. One thing that slightly bothers me is that the lap bar was sometimes too tight on me leading to rather sore legs by the end of my trip, but honestly everything else about the trains was too great for me to care. Oh, and there was that point I got a black eye from the trains.. Just.. watch your head as you leave your seat in case it gets knocked forward by the raised lap bar.. Don't be me.