What's new

Kings Dominion | Twisted Timbers | RMC I-Box (Hurler Conversion)

Sythe

Mega Poster
^ Yes it is.
What is throwing me off about the 816 thing is that the digital rain in the background spells "GROVE" "APPLE" "SNOOPY" and "2018" I get that Grove and Apple are for Candy Apple Grove, but why Snoopy?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
It's Matrix-esque but is almost giving me Stranger Things vibes as well.

I wonder if it could be a continuation of the spooky theme we saw with Mystic Timbers? Not the same or even directly related, but along that spooky line? Which would be fab.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Just there yesterday, and the Starbucks sign went RIGHT over my head! :p

Pics are on my Facebook (no laptop access out here) but there are three large consecutive camelbacks going up on the first run out that are visible from Grizzly that cannot be photographed. Two of them were ledgered off, one was not. I like it, KD is in dire need of an insane air machine considering how neither of the large expensive Intamins have any substantial airtime at all.

Jarrett

Double post, but oh well, got an update!

19430077_1714348778594142_1723548421638646274_n.jpg

Looks like a mini Mean Streak, I like it!

19397110_1714348791927474_6358239019256106797_n.jpg

Bottom of the drop is gone!

19366312_1714348738594146_3061399137085744058_n.jpg

Steeper lift!

19396755_1714349745260712_8666294510296950978_n.jpg

They didn't leave any wood on the first turnaround after the drop, which leads me to believe that they'll be running this practically right along the ground.

Now here's my little rendering of the most exciting thing I saw: three very sharp consecutive camelbacks on the first run out! Visible from Grizzly's lift hill only as the Eiffel Tower elevator was down the day I was there, I couldn't legally photograph it so I just made what I saw in Planet Coaster.

n8Sbabm.jpg

Brown: Ledgers and track in place.
Green: Ledgers in place, no track
Blue: No ledgers confirm this but structural evidence points to this being what KD plans to do. The third camelback is way more clear than the turnaround.

Sythe

Mega Poster
^ Check the first picture you posted. They've already started adding wood from the ground up on the first turnaround, so it's looking to be an overbank.
Also for anyone who doesn't know already a bunny hill is confirmed after the drop.
54c7b5d3a7b22552764ead3b6f7bf19f.jpg

(Photo credit goes to Angelo Giles)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jarrett

There's been a bit of buzz on social media regarding this and someone realized something absolutely brilliant about that tease!

When Hurler first opened, of all the coasters that are currently in the park (so exclude the defunct Shockwave from this), the park had four inversions, all on Anaconda. Now, the park has since added Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Dominator. Volcano and Flight of Fear both have four inversions, Dominator has five. Now do the math and you get...

4 (Anaconda) + 4 (Flight of Fear) + 4 (Volcano: The Blast Coaster) + 5 (Dominator) = 17 Inversions At Kings Dominion

So when Hurler first opened, the park had four inversions. So assuming it's opening again in a different form, the park will have twenty inversions. That's three more than it has now, so assuming this refers to inversions in the park (which it very likely does, notice the upside down T in the tease), it suggests that RMC Hurler will contribute three inversions to the park's inversion count.

Also, completely off topic, but that tease really reminds me of this creepy video, with the dark technology vibe and pointed mask. Anyone else notice that?

Jarrett

Terry from ACE told me today on his Facebook that from Grizzly you can now see "a bizarre structure that looks to be the future home for two inversions."

Also another tease has been posted, this time reading "three is better than none," so that most likely refers to inversions like the previous analysis I posted does. So if we have 3 inversions, I'm guessing it's a Storm Chaser drop plus whatever it is Terry saw.

I'm excited for Mean Streak and all, don't get me wrong, but for some reason this one has me way more intrigued! I'm excited to ride Mean Streak, I'm intrigued to see how this one turns out. Right now it seems like Wicked Cyclone has knocked up Storm Chaser and this is the result, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Jarrett

I've posted this in greater detail on Facebook but I'm 99.9% certain this refers to height.

If you add 28 feet to the ride's 83 foot initial height, you get 111 feet. Running trig on Google Maps data with the initial height results in a value of roughly 30 degrees, a pretty standard number in engineering and a very common lift angle for traditional wooden coasters. Now run it with the new height and you get a lift angle of roughly 40 degrees, which would indicate a ten degree increase in lift angle.

19989240_1737674356261584_6870427609959590963_n.jpg

It's not a perfect profile shot but that definitely looks to be roughly ten degrees to me, which would be a logical number to choose. So I feel like this strongly hints at 111 feet as a height.