What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

tomahawk

Strata Poster
This better be for next year. This better be for next year. This better be for next year. This better be for next year.

Although if it's anything like the flying dutchman style I won't ride it as they are the most horrifying creations ever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Phantasialand just posted this on their facebook:

19399109_1500483323324160_6780535127345246032_n.jpg

Not much more than another teaser though.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
As if Phantasialand needed to be higher on my bucket list...
Since Thunderbird, I've always fantasised about a launched flyer of some kind. If they're fitting the World's longest flying coaster into that area, Vekoma does certainly seem like the logical choice with tighter radii, a smaller track and in general, I think they work better with smaller heights and spaces. You definitely get more thrill per unit track on the newer vekomas. With the exceptions of Starry Sky Ripper and Flying Dinosaur, I don't think B&M have made flyers to their true potential, so I'd be really interested to see what vekoma does with it.
The way the seats can rotate could be a real winner. If this does have dark ride sections, it could end up like Harry Potter with a full 180 degree field of vision? Also, that'll really help increase capacity and make it a little bit more comfortable on the brake run ;)

Would this necessarily have LSMs? The prototype used drive tyres, which I suppose they could use for an inclined tyre launch like Hulk if they needed to? Trains will presumably be only 2 seats wide presumably, so shouldn't be too heavy and an inclined launch could provide more of a contrast with Taron. If it's going to be longer than Flying Dinosaur, surely it needs another launch and/or a lift hill too?
Either way, everything Vekoma have touched recently seems to have turned into gold, and since Phantasia are involved, I'm sure this will be no different.

Genasi

Roller Poster
This is amazing. Can't believe this is coming to Germany. I always tell my friends you can find the best coasters only in the US... but this...wow!

peep

CF Legend
Two rumours I'm seeing posted on a few German sites. First is that VR might be involved because the dude in the artwork has goggles on. I can see where they're coming from but I'm hoping that's not the case.

Second is that there will be another 2 family orientated rides in the same area. This is Phantasialand so I totally believe they'll try and ram as much into this space as possible.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Not a rumour. More the speculation of a few people.
The goggles are typical Steampunk imagery that features on the Rookburgh poster and in the park's winter show the characters wear steampunk clothing with similar goggles.
On the Phantasialand Fan forum any mention of VR is shot down immediately as there's no way the park would invest in it. Also this is said to cost more than Klugheim (€70 million) so it will be themed to the max - pointless if VR is used.
The two other attractions thing now that is a rumour that is flying (no pun intended) about. Be interesting to see what they do.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, the goggles are because it's steampunk themed, nothing to do with VR. I highly doubt Phantasialand adding VR as they pride themselves on their theming and attention tod etail, that would then be absolutely redundant on a VR experience.

davidm

Strata Poster
Unless the whole ride is in an empty box? - physically theme the outside of the box, the new area and the station, VR the rest of it ... sorted.
</just trolling>

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
19399109_1500483323324160_6780535127345246032_n.jpg

On the Phantafriends forum people are analysing the new artwork on the Flying Coaster sign.
On the Rookburgh sign people it was pointed out that one of the building's said AirRail company on it - fueling the flying coaster rumours. With the name was this logo/symbol which is now also visible on a clipboard held by a woman on the new sign. So it must have some significance in the ride and its story.
Artwork2.JPG.b61a6a59b6d5c45db88d6cc6bccf5e59.JPG

In the Klugheim artworks/teaser images a lot of the buildings materialised exactly as shown. So naturally people are expecting buildings in the area to resemble the artworks.
Many have commented on this tunnel with smoke coming out of it, on the new Flying Coaster teaser artwork.
19396958_1996526753967467_2817174998919701251_n.jpg

Launch out of a smoke filled tunnel like Paris' Space Mountain or Hulk at IOA?

Ireeb

Mega Poster
That artwork is indeed interesting. An inclined launch could be really interesting especially because of the riding position.

Also, it's not just a rumor about a flying coaster, Phantasialand confirmed it.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Also, it's not just a rumor about a flying coaster, Phantasialand confirmed it.

I think that's pretty obvious, CSLKennyNI was simply stating how the artwork on the poster made people assume the ride type before this week's announcement.
I cannot wait for this ride, as if I needed another reason to go back to Phantasialand! I've heard rides like Battlestar at USS are quite smooth and Lech Coaster looks fab too, so I'm hoping that if this is Vekoma, it'll be great! However, I'm kind of hoping that "longest" means in terms of ride time, and that this ride has a great dark ride section.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I am still hoping it'll be B&M, but with a look at Vekoma's recent installations, I think it could also be amazing if Vekoma built it. If they do, I hope it won't be a flying dutchman because I find it awkward how you start lying on your back.

Last edited:

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I'm willing to put a significant amount of money on it not being a Flying Dutchman, Vekoma literally have no reason to go back to an old design for a ride that's clearly going to be a custom layout. Whilst I really like the idea of the prototype that Vekoma put up I can't help but feel that it was a little too dark ridey and I can't really get too excited about the seating being a variety between the side and underneath the track. I like my trains pointing forward and that's it aha

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I'm willing to put a significant amount of money on it not being a Flying Dutchman, Vekoma literally have no reason to go back to an old design for a ride that's clearly going to be a custom layout. Whilst I really like the idea of the prototype that Vekoma put up I can't help but feel that it was a little too dark ridey and I can't really get too excited about the seating being a variety between the side and underneath the track. I like my trains pointing forward and that's it aha
That's what I think, too. Maybe a Stingray-like coaster, but that's just an updated Flying Dutchman with the same awkward start and end where you are lying on your back.
To me, the prototype looked more like a dark ride too. But maybe that layout was just to test some stuff and in the final version only the loading will be sidewards and the rest hanging down. The whole layout may just be there to test how the bearings etc. behave. There may or may not be a sidewards lift on the finished version, perhaps they just wanted to test if it works, maybe to use it to transport the train out of the station but not use a lift like that on an actual coaster (especially since a launched one won't really have a lift :D)

Benenen

Hyper Poster
If this is going to be the Vekoma prototype (which let's face it it will be), am I correct in thinking each row of seats will be able to spin 360 degrees? Because if so there's potential for a whole load of new elements beyond just transitioning from dark ride sections to coaster sections.

Imagine a fly to lie but at the apex your seat rotates 180 so you end going feet first on your back. Sort of like the raven turns on X2. And from the prototype video it looks like this will load with the track sideways and the seats parallel to the air gates a bit like Forbidden Journey. It's going to look beautiful in that presumably intricately themed station.

I'm so excited to find out more about this.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
If this is going to be the Vekoma prototype (which let's face it it will be)
We have exactly no evidence on what coaster type or manufacturer it is. We don't even know what kind of prototype it is on vekomas facility and what they wanted to test with it. I think it's a bit early to say "It will be...". It could still be a B&M, it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. Could also be a Vekoma which doesn't have anything to do with the prototype.
I am hoping for a B&M, I am expecting a Vekoma, I am curious if the prototype has anything to do with it.
If it actually has seats that can rotate, I doubt it will do that on the ride. That would be more of a 4D-Coaster than a flying coaster. My guess is that they just tested a new loading system with the prototype. That may actually be used if Vekoma builds it.

Last edited:

Benenen

Hyper Poster
We have exactly no evidence on what coaster type or manufacturer it is. We don't even know what kind of prototype it is on vekomas facility and what they wanted to test with it. I think it's a bit early to say "It will be...". It could still be a B&M, it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. Could also be a Vekoma which doesn't have anything to do with the prototype.
Yeah, I minced my words a bit. Of course it's not certain but I feel there's enough evidence to entitle me to dive right into some Vekoma prototype speculation.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Yeah, I minced my words a bit. Of course it's not certain but I feel there's enough evidence to entitle me to dive right into some Vekoma prototype speculation.
It's likely, you're right. But not guaranteed. It could still be a darkride prototype as well. Even though I doubt it because it's inverted. Probably the prototype was for testing a new loading system for a flying coaster. If that's the case, it is likely that it is for Phantasialand.