What's new

CF Music Swap

Will

Strata Poster
I'm very amused to read that Kendrick Lamar describes his genre as 'human music'.
Also, I'd never heard of him until yesterday, and life was probably better that way.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This is a great idea jayjay, definitely like to put my name down for the next round. I could do with some new music and it's interesting to see how different everyone's tastes are.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Looks like a lot of support for a rerun! So, anybody up for another go, post here, or just send me your 5 tracks.

Signups Rd 2
Mouse (music sent)
Mysterious Sue (music sent)
Will (music sent)
GuyWithAStick
Attack Hammer (music sent)
Chris Brown (music sent)
Thekingin64 (music sent)
Gavin
Caffeinedemon (music sent)

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Thanks to everyone who's sent me something so far. I'm calling a close to entries today, though anyone who's said they're doing it already will get a prod and a little longer.

jayjay

Giga Poster
OK, new entries closed for round 2. I'll get the last remaining song lists and then send out pairings

jayjay

Giga Poster
OK, time to send out the lists. Reply to me with your reviews once you have the music.

Just in case anyone cares, you won't be getting paired up this time, because I want a go. I'm making a ring and your choices will be "passed to the left"

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so here's a all of your entries so far. If you haven't given me one yet, just post it directly in the topic and I'll reveal your target.

Gavin on Mysterious Sue

Katie Jackson: Homeward Bound

First time of heard anything of hers. Nothing wrong with it, but I found it very generic. The voice could have been any one of dozens of people, the melody was obvious. It's "fine", but I'm in no rush to check anything else out.

Suede: Beautiful Ones
I thought I hated this song. Well, I DID used to hate it. I was never a fan of Suede; I could never stand Brett Anderson's voice and I was never into the vast majority of Britpop at the time. However, listening back to it now, I can see what a great song it is. A bit of a nostaligia trip as well.

The Divine Comedy: Commuter Love
Christ, f**king kill me now. It's no National Express, is it? Not for me I'm afraid.

The Smiths: Ask
The Smiths have managed to mostly pass me by apart from the odd track that pops up now and then. I don't think I've heard this. It's good. I like them musically, just never been a fan of Morrisey's voice which has put me off making more of an effort with them. It's unfortunate since I like the music well enough.

Maximo Park: The Undercurrents
A new one on me. Like most in this list, there's nothing specifically wrong with it, but it's not doing much for me. It's a nice enough song - literally can't really fault it - I just feel like I've heard it a hundred times when I know I haven't.

Chris Brown on Gavin
Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver
Probably my least favorite Adam and the ants song if im honest, I like the band and like other songs such as prince charming but stand and deliver just doesnt cut it for me. Think the song is all a little to Cliche with the little drum role after the Chorus.

Nina Hagen - New York new York

Hadnt heard off this artist so was keen to have a listen. When the funky bassline came in i was feeling pretty optimistic and was enjoying the intro until she opened her mouth. Sounds like a parody from Mona the Vampire or something.

Little Jackie - Cock Block
Another one i hadn't heard of but this was actually annoyingly catchy. Think the lyrics were actually pretty well written and Little Jackie went from soft rap to gentle lyrics really well. Whilst i wouldnt like to admit that i enjoyed it I may have listened to it more than once...

Republica - Drop Dead Gorgeous
An old favorite of mine actually. I used to be a big fan of the bad attitude female fronted bands going through my lil emo phase at school. Whilst its not as popular as ready to go its still a great song and pretty underrated if you ask me.

Marina and the Diamonds - Froot
Now this is a pretty biased review which will probably piss the person off but i just cant stand Marina and the diamonds. Shes a fab person but her voice winds me up to no end. Her singing style and how she fluctuates her vocal range constantly really bugs me. Can understand why she's popular but it just doesnt cut it for me. The closing repetition of the song is good and is really catchy, the beat is funky its just the marina and the diamonds 'talk singing' that lets it down for me.

Now to try and guess who's choices these were!

I'd stab at Pink Panther but doesn't look look he's on the current list so possibly Mysterious Sue?

Will on caffeine_demon

Longpigs – On and On
Firstly, the dodgy capitalisation of the album title annoyed me, and I wasn’t expecting much from the slow start, remiscent of James of ‘Sit Down’ ‘fame’. I have heard a song by Longpigs before; but I don’t remember what it was, and… well, inoffensive, but instantly forgettable about sums this up, though I reckon it’d grow on me and earn 3 stars on my iPod with a few more listens. The chorus was pleasant and I enjoyed the non-too subtle nods to Pink Floyd.

Penguin Café Orchestra – Ecstasy of Dancing Fleas
Ah, OK – this is one of those things that tries to be quirky for the sake of being quirky, isn’t it. I don’t generally have a problem with that :p

My initial thoughts were that this would be alright as the soundtrack to a mildly amusing silent film, possibly directed by Wes Anderson, but now 3 minutes in, I’m asking myself if this is going anywhere. Clearly, it isn’t, but my concentration span definitely is. Again, 3 stars, but I feel I’m being overly generous. I’m guessing on the album this is an interlude or intro track, in which case it would probably fit OK.

Blur – On Your Own
Obviously, I’m aware of the existence of Blur, but this is a new one on me. The intro is punctuated by slightly grating discordant noises, and alas, these appear to continue throughout. Other than that, it’s all a little bit wallpapery and doing very little to excite me. I suspect they’ve done much better and… I can find very little else to say; 2 stars for this one, I’m afraid.

The Animals – We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place
I feel this one has an unfair advantage as I already know it well, and it’s one I enjoy blasting a different version of in traffic jams with my windows rolled down, as I’m hilarious like that. Catchy, interesting instrumentally and vocally. One of the classics, so 4 stars.

Labrinth feat. Emile Sande – Beneath Your Beautiful
Before I even hit play on this one, I’m inwardly cursing whoever’s choice it was, but here goes…

OK, so the first 90 seconds were actually not bad at all – I enjoy a keyboard driven ballad as much as the next man, and whilst it was painfully unoriginal, this was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.
But then a drum machine happens - and enter stage left Emilie Sande; suddenly, I feel like I’m shopping in Asda. By the third minute of the song, we’ve got a duet the 90s rejected and a chorus that shows promise is delivered by a woman who sounds like she’s going through the motions and waiting for her pay cheque. I’ll give it 3 stars, mainly for Labrinth’s contribution (there’s something I never thought I’d say…) Finally, and this is annoying me a lot – Beneath Your Beautiful WHAT? Do they mean Beneath You’re Beautiful, or are they just being stupid. Also, as my brother has just pointed out, we’re not at all sure, Emilie Sande has a beautiful anything.

ATTACKHAMMER on jayjay
The Darkness - Mighty Wings
Decent song nothing really stands out about it. 5/10

Royksopp - Running To The Sea
Really different to what I would normally choose to listen to. However I though it was excellent! So good in fact, that I have put it in my playlist. The vocals are almost haunting! 8/10

Fleet Foxes - The Shrine/An Argument
Could not get in to this song. Really not my thing. 2/10

Cardiacs - R.E.S.
Simply awful. Nothing more to say on that one. 0/10
JJ: Was intrigued to see how well this would go down. Not sure whether I actually like it or I've just got used to it

Radiohead - Pyramid Song
I have always found Radiohead incredibly boring, sort of a not quite as dreary or popular Coldplay. This song is a prime example of my prior opinion. 1/10
JJ: Ha, wouldn't you believe that I'm also a Coldplay fan :p

Thekingin64 on Chris Brown
Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Have listened to and liked other Rolling Stones music but this didn't do much for me. Is very much traditional 70s/80s music which I quite like though (5/10)

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
Decent song, got nothing truely against it and it's got a good beat to it. The last 'enjoy the silence' line needn't be there though, song faded out fine. (8/10)

James Blake - CMYK
Terrible, not my style of music at all. Was virtually the same note and same autotuned line repeated endlessly for 3 mins. Nothing going for it at all for me (0/10)

The Verve - Love is Noise
Again, quite good. Nothing special but nothing particularly bad either. Could have done without the 'Woohoo' sound effect in the background though. (6/10)

Radiohead - Karma police
Enjoyable but again nothing special. Could have done without the interference style noise at the end though. (7/10)

Overall: Not a bad selection, wouldn't be complaining if I had to roadtrip with this person and he/she had control of the radio.

jayjay on thekingin64
Disturbed - The Animal
Wasn't looking forward to this one (not a metal person), but it's not too bad. Lots of hooks to hang onto, and, even if I'm not into it, it's at least interesting.

Lionel Richie - Hello

I don't actually dislike this song as society says I have to. I guess people are turned off by the music video, which I'm not judging. It's got some decent chord structures and melody. The main issue I have is that I find Lionel Richie mostly uninteresting as a singer (he gets a bit more into the final chorus though).

The Muppets - Cabin Fever (From Muppet Treasure Island)
Yay, my childhood. Typical style-hopping comedy that you'd expect from The Muppets - funny, good voice acting. Love the opera-style Carmen Miranda muppet. Still not my favourite from the movie - probably would go for Shiver my Timbers or Professional Pirate.

The Gaslight Anthem - Old Haunts
Not doing much for me. Immediately picked up the four chords of pop in the intro, and didn't seem to do much development past getting louder.

Autograph - Turn up the Radio
Oh my, that's very 80s. Intro's far too long, but I like the beat and the harmonies in the chorus. Starting to get a bit tiresome towards the end. Never really been a fan of hair metal, but this isn't too bad.

caffeine_demon on ATTACKHAMMER
David Bowie - Moonage Daydream.
It's ok - I've never quite been fully sold on Bowie, the track sounds reassuringly familiar, with out anything that makes me think "WOW!"

Yes - Going For The One
Don't like it at all - it's as if they've tried to combine as many rock styles as possible into one!

Pantera - Floods
Love it - it's kind of the jungle book characters summoning satan! at least until about 5 minutes comes along and it turns to crap!

Pink Floyd - Have A Cigar
No thanks, there bad for you - this song's pretty good though! sort of a slightl;y softened versions of "bennie and the jets" by Elton john."

Motorhead - Overkill
kind of a poor mans ace of spades. Make that a very poor man, probably tone deaf..

jayjay

Giga Poster
Sue's email came in while I'm still at home, so here's another set of reviews for Mouse. Saving the best til last.

Anderson Paak - Come Down

When I signed up for this I wondered how to be diplomatic if faced with something that I really disliked - a slice of vacuous pop or misogynist rap for example. Luckily this isn't either of those entirely. But for someone who considers song lyrics of high importance, opening with

'Y'all n****s got me hot
Uh, n****s, tell me how?'

got my heckles up. The song meanders on, touching on such deep subjects as drinking, drug-taking, HDTVs and name dropping Gucci sunglasses into the mix so I'm guessing this is the sort of thing that is 'so hot right now' in terms of mainstream popularity? It needn't have bothered with all those shenanigans though because the simple repetitive baseline is fab enough on its own. It's got that sexy, deep, funk vibe going on. And yeah, if I uncomfortably found myself in the kind of bar that played this, I would probably find myself dancing along with everybody else. Funky, if simple, base, interesting vocal style (somewhere between rap and song) but terrible lyrics and -1 for using product f***ing placement. Another -1 for using Pulp Fiction-style air drawing circa 1994 and -1 for singing about 'reefers' and trying to sound all rebellious. Musicians have been taking drugs for years sweetie and been influenced to make some far better songs than this. 4/10

Sia - Buttons

This is much more up my street. First off, the video is absolutely ridiculous - I love it! Being mesmerised by fishing nets is great and all but when I turned my focus back to the song there wasn't a huge amount to actually focus on. Maybe that's not such a criticism though. Sia is pop royalty at the moment and obviously knows how to pack in just the right amount of catchiness with that slight tinge of weirdness and doesn't faff about getting bogged down with long verses or instrumentals. Everything there is there for a reason and it slaps you round the face like a musical version of a wet fish. And then it repeats and repeats and repeats. I'll probably be humming it for the rest of the damn day. Great video with the song playing second fiddle, but still a great big wedge of good, solid pop. Puts me in mind of a slightly watered down Moloko. 6/10

London Grammar - Strong

This list seems to be improving, for my tastes at least, as it goes through. London Grammar are one of those bands that you always hear in the background (sometimes quite literally thanks to their very atmospheric approach). I've been meaning to check them out for a while so its good to see them on this list. Hannah Reids' vocals are gorgeous, silky smooth and somehow uplifting despite the melancholic music drifting behind her. At first I thought the video might suffer from being a little pretentious or slow (muted colour, use of sleeping child) but then it all went a bit bat**** crazy - but in a beautiful way. Apparently the video is about a guy strapping fireworks to himself for the entertainment of his child but to me, it conjured up the image of someone in a suicide vest with his child watching on. Sign of the times eh? Anyway, it's a testament to the song then that there there was real beauty in it. Her voice could bring tranquility to any situation it was dubbed over. In fact, I might go back and rewatch the video whilst playing Firestarter just for the comparison. Seriously though, very nice. Not exactly sure if I'd sit and listen to a whole album as this is fairly upbeat compared to some of their other tracks that I've heard. But it's hard not to enjoy this song and to admire it's charm and sophistication. 7/10

Tame Impala - Let It Happen

I listen to a little bit of Tame Impala now and then (included Feels Like We Only Go Backwards to a recent anti-Brexit playlist lol). They are good if you're in the right chilled out kind of mood. Like a lot of this list, there's more focus on atmosphere and the 'shape' of the music rather than lyrics or story. It's something I'd listen to perhaps on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the garden with a beer (music that won't upset the elderly neighbors). Why pick this over some of their other tracks though? It's a little...I hate to use the word 'bland' as that's possibly the worst criticism of someone's music taste but I can't think of anything better. Maybe the video? It definitely had my attention. As a fairly frequent traveler, I felt the guy's pain of being constantly stressed and in a permanent state of slight confusion as to time and place. Happy to say I've never died in an airport though - that is thoroughly depressing, what an awful way to go. Of all the boring, most insipid, bland, beige places to go... and with this playing in the background to top it off... 3/10

A Tribe Called Quest - We The People...

OK, so the premise of this is commendable and it's obviously extremely relatable to lots of Americans (and people all over the world) right now. But there is something to be said for subtlety and this tribe would take your average Dylan or Lennon or Manics round the back and shoot them in the head. What it lacks in finesse it makes up for in catchiness and yet, somehow, this is its downfall. For such a serious topic 'all you Muslims/Mexicans/gays - you must go', it manages to somehow remain cheery about it all, with a nice happy melody behind those ominous exit orders. Perhaps this is meant to be satirical but, if it is, it washed over me. I prefer my protest songs with a bit more grit and realism and... well, suffering. Try Kate Tempest - Europe Is Lost - not quite the same topic but it has a true, gritty honesty about it. With these guys, I find it hard to buy into their integrity. Also more use of the word n****er - we don't really have that in the UK (not in the music I listen to anyway and I can't ever remember writing the word before) and, although I'm not qualified to criticise it's use, it still makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable. If this song is about standing up for all of the people and giving everyone a voice, then sadly, it's already lost me. It doesn't stand for me (and I fit several of their demographics). In reality, it stands for a small number of people who share their specific background. Having said that, any revolution against the current tide should be welcomed. Heart in the right place but no head. Catchy, but not enough to be chanted at any upcoming peace rallies. So, I'm giving it a 5/10.

Feel I've been quite hard on the scoring here. Sorry, but I'm an indie kid and if it's not drowning in spangly guitars it's probably never going to hit my top spot.
Always interesting to see what someone else enjoys listening to though. If music gives you a little glimpse at a person's soul, I'd go with someone who is pretty chilled, likes a bit of the mainstream but only the stuff that really appeals to them. Obviously someone politically minded - maybe younger, maybe someone at uni so... Thekingin64? But it feels more American. It's obviously not Gavin or Will and there's not enough prog rock for Attack Hammer nor enough musicals for GWAS (unless he's branching out). Doesn't seem quite right based on Mouse's choices in the last round and Chris is a bit more about bands I think. There's a light whiff of Maroon Five about it all so maybe JayJay? That just leaves CD. Ohh this is so hard, I can't call it.

mouse

Giga Poster
@Mysterious Sue I get what you say about Anderson Paak's lyrics, you mentioned my list has more of a focus on atmosphere and the 'shape' of the music than the lyrical content. This is spot on actually, I tend to put much more focus on the music than the lyrics - although if they catch my attention or I explicitly focus on them they can change my opinion of a track. I feel there's a strong sense of irony in many of Paak's lyrics, he knows he talks a lot of **** - he says it himself before performing some of his songs live. I also feel he takes on a character in many of his songs, for example on one he sings from the perspective of a guy who can't help but cheat on his wife. He portrays the guy as a sad idiot - he speaks from the perspective of the character but I don't think he glorifies his actions.
Also I picked that particular Tame Impala track as its the one I REALLY like. This is mainly due to the instrumental second half on the full 7 minute version, which I've realised isn't on the shorter version I sent. The lead synth melody towards the end repeats with some cool electronic stuff happening, hard to explain but check it out if you haven't already heard it! Also no need to apologise for low rankings - if we all had the same opinions then we wouldn't have the diverse range of music existing that we have today!

Seventh Wonder - A Day Away

Was expecting a heavy metal track from the video, but its more like a song from a rock themed musical. What is this genre? Theatrical metal? Is that a thing? I guess its rock opera, like meat loaf or something? Anyway, I don't dislike it but I wouldn't actively choose to listen to it. I like the constantly changing melodies, so it doesn't get boring or repetitive despite the relentless pace. I also like the synth line that comes in towards the end, which makes the track sound like its from a video game soundtrack. Overall not my cup of tea though, however if the Eurovision Rock Contest was a thing this would do well. That may or may not be a compliment. 5/10

Nightwish - Last Ride of the Day

Yay, more camp metal! I like the opening, its very dramatic and demanded my attention. This is the sort of track that would be used in an action film as the heroes ride into battle. I prefer this to the first track, its darker and more dramatic and I prefer the vocals. I also like how the orchestra and electric guitars sound together, works well. Overall still not my kind of thing though. 6.5/10

Gabrielle Aplin - Start Again

I like Gabrielle Aplin, she has a really nice voice which fits perfectly with the acoustic instrumentation in this song. Her vocals sound really intimate and raw, and I love the harmonies. Her vocal performance got me to focus on the lyrics at first listen, which doesn't happen often. I also like the change of tone towards the end, where her singing becomes more powerful and frantic. I like this track! 8/10.

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

If the Nightwish track was used before fight scene of an action film, this would be used just after the fight when the two lead characters decide they're in love and walk into the sunset together. I like this, again it is very theatrical - particularly the instrumental break in the middle. I like the structure of the song, it tells a story and kept me fully interested the whole 6 minutes. The guy's vocals were a bit jarring at first but I quickly got used to him. 7/10.

Benny Richter & Marc Terenzi - Forever Is For You

Again this sounds very theatrical and dramatic. The vocals are very strong, and demand you to listen to the lyrics. Well ****, I'm on my first listen and I just got the point where it goes from a quiet theatrical ballad into a heavy rock ballad - that was unexpected. I liked this track, again the music has a clear narrative and kept me interested the whole way through. Still, this whole theatrical rock thing doesn't appeal to me massively. 6.5/10.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Interesting. I'd love to take apart if there was another one but something's telling me people like Joanna Newsom, Aaliyah and Taylor Swift are not going to go down well :p Enjoyed the in-depthness of @Mysterious Sue

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Sorry about this round, I forgot that I would be going on vacation during this time, and didn't have time to notify anyone! Sincerely sorry about that. I'll definitely do the next run, though.