What's new

How Does Kärnan Work? (Spoilers)

jayjay

Giga Poster
I had a search for the answer to this question, but I couldn't find anything useful. Does anyone know how the reverse freefall mechanism works, or could hazard a guess based on construction pics? I've always used the assumption that golden rule number one for lift hills is that the train should never ever be allowed to roll down the lift hill. I trust that the mechanism has a million failsafes, but I'm interested to know exactly what.

The main things I remember from the ride is that it takes an age to transfer from lift to drop, and then back again at the bottom, and I don't remember hearing much of any mechanism (maybe wrong on this).

jayjay

Giga Poster
It's not haunted, it's the black magic that made the tower invincible. They don't put those queueline videos in there for nothing :p

Ireeb

Mega Poster
Gerstlauer doesn't use the classic mechanic anti rollback on Infinity Coasters. In their brochure they say that you can release the train backwards on the lift, slowly and controlled. That already shows that the Gerstlauer anti-rollback can be disabled.
On this video of The Smiler you can see that it works with metal blades. I guess you can just retract them and the train is able to travel backwards.
(around 0:30)
If the anti rollback remains enabled beneath the drop-section, there is no problem with safety, as they would stop the car if something goes wrong.
I don't know for sure if it works like that, but that's my guess.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think Ireeb is pretty much there. Unfortunately the shaft is so dark that you don’t get any glimpses of the mechanisms from any POVs, and I don’t recall being able to see very much from on the ride too, due to the openings in the concrete and floor of the train.

I’ll describe my thoughts on the mechanics and sequence of operation of the ride.

The lift hill has two sections. The first section works just like the lift hill on the Smiler, with the anti-rollback devices as Ireeb has highlighted in his post. The second section (which I’m thinking is probably the upper half of the vertical section) has separately controllable anti-rollback devices. They probably look much the same as the rest, but they’ll have independent actuators to move them.

The chain is engaged to the motor via a clutch mechanism (much the same way the Dive Machine holding brakes work). I would also suggest that the chain tension device has some sort of slackening control – just to allow things to move a little more freely – but I might be completely wrong on that.

I think the reason it seems to take so long is due to the various interlocks in place to maintain the safety.

The train is brought to a stop on the lift hill, as the top of the second section. The anti-rollbacks on the lower section are then proven to all be in place. The chain tension device is slackened, and the anti-rollbacks on the upper section are moved out of the way. Once all of this is proven via the various end-switches and controls, the clutch is released and the train is free to roll backwards.

It hits the lower section of anti-rollbacks (which are now just acting as brakes) and comes to a stop. The clutch is re-engaged gradually, bringing the train back to rest. Next the various sequences all operate in reverse and the system carries on as normal.

Having ridden the ride and felt the sensation of the drop, I would suggest that the chain doesn’t fully release and instead maintains some resistance to the “free-fall” motion. That would probably help with stopping the train and re-engaging the lift.

All hypothesising, of course. I’ve no idea really – and I love to see the plans. :p

Ben

CF Legend
I don't know what it is but I'd say the drop is definitely controlled in some respect - I always assumed that given the time it faffs about it comes off the lift and engages on to some other mechanism which then 'drops' it down in a controlled motion before it re-engages the lift and it carries on back up.

But I honestly have no idea.

I wish it was a bit slicker because it's a fab effect but goes to a 90% effective because it obviously faffs? I'm sure it still ****s up the GP though.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Fantastic answers, thanks all. That article sounds good as well, ireeb. Hopefully the "Intensivierung" (German is fab) is ready for Ghosterforce :D

Ireeb

Mega Poster
German is so ugly it makes it beautiful again.
I don't think they have to make actual changes to the ride, and if they have to, only small changes. Probaly just changing it in the rides computer.
They said that they planned the bigger drop from the beginning but wanted to start with a less intense one and collect feedback. If people said that it is already pretty intense as it is right now, they would have left it as it is. But since many said it isn't too intense, they can make it more intense now.