What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
You are quite correct. I live just an hour away, and having this being my home park, I have visited it A LOT! and because of project 2018, it will be even more so!

Lofty

CF Legend
Blackpool is a place to go for a no frills amusement park visit. There's nothing there (yet) that's standout and everything is completely 'meh' in terms of experience. Thankfully, this coaster will change that.

Bear in mind, I find it a chore and it's only 45 minutes or so from me...

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Lofty said:
Blackpool is a place to go for a no frills amusement park visit. There's nothing there (yet) that's standout and everything is completely 'meh' in terms of experience. Thankfully, this coaster will change that.

Bear in mind, I find it a chore and it's only 45 minutes or so from me...

I do agree with you in that department, with the exception revolution. I really like revolution, there isn't really anything bad about it. I mean, you don't get any head banging and it is extremely smooth for an Arrow coaster!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I'm one of those odd ones who actually loves the Pleasure Beach. It's actually my favourite park in the UK. It's line-up isn't the best, but it does have some real stand out attractions. With this addition it will be gaining a world class steel coaster which is something it's severely lacked. No matter what the GP think, The Big One is trash, and doesn't live up to any of the hype built up from it's dominance in the park. But other than the big one the rest of the line-up is solid, Nash and Mouse are great fun (brutal) but still great fun, Valhalla is just outstanding, Revolution is surprisingly good and Red Arrows is a really enjoyable flat. The rest is mostly filler, but it's honestly one of my favourites. That being said, that may be due to it being one of my least visited parks.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Let's face it, Pleasure Beach is hardly innovative and breaking the boundaries of the industry anymore. People slate it for that, and wonder why people love it so much. That's not really why people go to BPB, though. It's just a completely unique park not only for the UK but for Europe. It has quirkiness and history, which gives it a charm and pride of place amongst plenty of enthusiasts. Such a range of rides, which aren't breathtaking but enjoyable, especially with good friends and family. A Mack isn't going to revive BPB's place as a major player, it'd take a few more rides to do that. But it will give the park something it has always been missing which is a completely solid ride experience.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Actually, this coaster truly has the opportunity to put the park back on the map in the UK and make it a destination to visit again. I know that one coaster can't really do that, but when it has potential to be the best coaster in the UK, it without doubt will draw people back to the park, even if it is just for the sone singular asset.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I agree with that. It will of, course, boost BPB's reputation in the UK. But I think what is important is that it can be followed up by something of equal measure in the near future. Hopefully it's not just one solid investment followed by 10+ years of small-scale additions. I don't mean to sound pedantic at such an exciting period for BPB, but I just think consistency is what will put BPB back in the top ranks again.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I think Pleasure Beach is somewhat underrated. Personally I love the charm, atmosphere and historic value. It doesn't really matter to me that there are no stand-out rides. There is no other park quite like it in the world. It has always been tied with Alton as my favourite UK park, but with this addition that seems likely to change.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Sandman said:
I agree with that. It will of, course, boost BPB's reputation in the UK. But I think what is important is that it can be followed up by something of equal measure in the near future. Hopefully it's not just one solid investment followed by 10+ years of small-scale additions. I don't mean to sound pedantic at such an exciting period for BPB, but I just think consistency is what will put BPB back in the top ranks again.[/quote

Follow it up with an rmc conversion of the grand national in 2020 ;)

Meanwhile back on earth massively thankful for what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
BPB is my favourite UK park by far. Yes, the coasters are not world class, but the place is almost like a museum documenting the history of amusement park rides, and to me that's far more interesting than a park that is full of modern rides, even if they are of higher quality overall.

Of course when this new coaster goes in they'll have all that great history and a top class modern coaster as well, making it even better! :)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I went last year and hated being there so much that I ended up leaving after 2 hours. I never used to feel that way about the park so hopefully this miracle can help put it back in my good books.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
BLACKPOOL PLEASURE BEACH ANNOUNCES NEW £16.25M ROLLERCOASTER

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has announced it is to build a new £16.25m rollercoaster. It will be the UK’s first ever with a double-launch – an advanced technology that gives the roller coaster two powerful thrusts of acceleration during the ride. ‘Construction 2018’ will feature the most number of interactions in the world with 15 interactions involving five different rides and two tunnels.

The ride is being manufactured by Mack Rides at their world-class factory in Waldkirch, Germany, utilising the latest state-of-the-art engineering processes, including laser beam technology for extreme accuracy. The ride will open in Spring 2018.

A double launch will see thrill seekers propelled forward at high speed not only at the start of the ride, but also at a second point half way through the two and a half minute experience. Riders will experience the same levels of G force as felt by the driver of a Formula 1 car. The launch of the ride features acceleration which is 4 times that experienced in a Lamborghini Gallardo.

Construction 2018 will reach heights of 88.5ft with drops of up to 82ft. It will interact with five other Blackpool Pleasure Beach rides including the iconic Big One, Steeplechase, Big Dipper, Pleasure Beach Express and the Grand Prix.

Over 44,800 hours have been invested in the development to date with that number expected to treble ahead of completion.

Speaking on the announcement Deputy Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Nick Thompson, comments: “We have been working on this concept for five years now and are delighted to be able share news of our plans.

“Construction 2018 will be fast, adrenaline fuelled and exhilarating but also smooth and comfortable – an entirely new ride experience. It sees a significant investment in Blackpool Pleasure Beach. We expect to see thrill seekers flock to the park to experience this UK ride first.”

Blackpool Pleasure Beach's Managing Director, Amanda Thompson OBE, adds: “Construction 2018 follows in the long tradition we have at Blackpool Pleasure Beach of investing in fantastic rides and bringing first of their kind rollercoasters to the UK. Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the world’s most ride intensive amusement park, is home to the UK’s first looping coaster, Revolution, and, at the time it was built, the world’s tallest and fastest rollercoaster, The Big One, plus many more thrilling rides. I’m delighted to be able to continue this tradition and bring such a thrilling ride to the UK.”

Construction 2018 brings together the Thompson and Mack families, owners of Blackpool Pleasure Beach and leading manufacturer of amusement park attractions, Mack Factory respectively.

The development is the biggest of its kind in recent years and cements Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s position as one of the UK’s leading amusement parks.

Key Ride Facts

Total Length – 1.14 KM
Ride time - Approx 161s
Max Height – 88.5ft
Height of Drops – 82ft
Max Speed – 80 KM/H
Max Acceleration (Verticle) – 4.3G
Trains - 3

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9tVlgzAu0[/youtubevid]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomahawk

Strata Poster
That looks...pretty ****. Yes the tight transitions look fun, but from skimming the topic, it's been made out to be the second coming, best coaster ever. And...it's not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Owen beat me to it with the press release and video link, here's some photos;

Press_Image_zpsgklewubh.jpg

DSCN0989_zps1qkjbyg4.jpg

DSCN0990_zpspmpg8smd.jpg

IMG_4869_zpsaxdnba2j.jpg

IMG_4884_zps09kn8oe0.jpg

IMG_5032_zps9ayqq8gw.jpg

IMG_4968_zps8x6mftvd.jpg

Scott

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
tomahawk said:
That looks...pretty ****. Yes the tight transitions look fun, but from skimming the topic, it's been made out to be the second coming, best coaster ever. And...it's not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
But people said the exact same about Helix when that rides Layout and Virtual POV was released and look how highly rated that is...
This is far from ****...

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Will it be the best coaster in the world? No, of course not, but it's just what the UK needs, I'm so darn excited for it! That second inversion <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I like the conceptual layout, and the interplay with other coasters. 49 MPH and 88 ft. are hardly impressive statistics, but hopefully this has good pacing to provide for a cool experience.

Certainly plenty of potential here.