What's new

Pleasure Island, Cleethorpes to Close

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well I think it is more likely someone would want the boomerang, as a pose to just leaving it there to rot, like Knightmare...

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ I don't think the problem with Knightmare was that nobody wanted it. The owners simply wanted more money for it than it was worth...

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Shame to hear they're closing, they had a small number of flats that I quite wanted to try. Oh well I assume most of their stuff will get sold on. I could see somewhere like Southport Pleasureland buying up the boomerang if the price were reasonable. No idea who else would take it really. I can also see the flats being picked up quite quickly. If Pendulus and Hydromax don't find homes soon that's a serious crime. Who knows voltar may even go back to Flamingoland :lol: Ha as if.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
I don't think they have actually managed to get voltar running since they bought it which is random to say they bothered to give it a snazzy new paint job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temleh

Mega Poster
airtime_uk_ash said:
I don't think they have actually managed to get voltar running since they bought it which is random to say they bothered to give it a snazzy new paint job!

I've ridden it as Voltar, as I'm sure many others have too!

Lofty

CF Legend
ATI said:
Well I think it is more likely someone would want the boomerang, as a pose to just leaving it there to rot, like Knightmare...
giphy.gif

Nightmare cost £750,000 for the coaster without any removal and relocation costs. Funny fact - Pleasurewood Hills were looking at purchasing it in 2013.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Temleh said:
airtime_uk_ash said:

I've ridden it as Voltar, as I'm sure many others have too!

Fair enough, the paint job looked brand new and a staff member I asked said it had been closed since they got it when I went a few weeks back.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm heading here on Wednesday before it closes with the family, gotta get the kids the creds.
I'll likely try to grab a load of god awful tat so you could potentially win some excluse tat at the next CF live :afro:

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I could see the Boomerang going to a park without any money, so Oakwood or Lightwater. It would provide an 'adult' coaster without actually paying anything. Actually, I could see all the rides basically being distributed between those two parks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ How will they go to parks without any money? They're not going to get "distributed" to the needy like Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes.

Lofty

CF Legend
elephant58 said:
I could see the Boomerang going to a park without any money, so Oakwood or Lightwater. It would provide an 'adult' coaster without actually paying anything. Actually, I could see all the rides basically being distributed between those two parks.
If you mean that they'll 'go cheap' between a few parks, that ain't gonna happen, either.

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
elephant58 said:

Highly tipped to be travelling just down the coast to fantasy island which will make it somewhat of a vekoma graveyard

elephant58

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
^ How will they go to parks without any money? They're not going to get "distributed" to the needy like Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes.

What I meant is that a 20-something year old second hand Boomerang is bound to be substantially cheaper than a new coaster of similar size. So it would make sense for a park such as the ones stated above to buy it, as it's probably the cheapest opportunity they have a buy a thrill coaster. And the same goes for the other rides too, they'll be put up for sale and I thought it seemed quite likely that some may be bought be other small UK parks (I used Oakwood and Lightwater as examples). So I did mean what Lofty said, I just assumed they wouldn't be sold for that much?

Lofty

CF Legend
^ It'll still be considerable in cost to purchase outright, but then you have to add on the cost of; relocation, refurbishment, new parts and construction. You're still looking at a good few million for it, I'd guess in the region of around £3m - £5m, easily.

It won't be as much of a bargain as people think.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Would it be that much? I was under the impression that they go for around £3 million new. I might also be pulling this out of my arse, but I'm sure I remember a second-hand one going for less than a million before?

Obviously, as you said, there's still the cost of taking it down, moving it, refurbishing/rebuilding/painting etc. Dunno, add on another million?

So, using my less-than-sceintific fugures, at the bottom end of the price range, you're looking at 2 million. Considering that Oakwood's latest aquisition is an on-its-last-legs Pinfari, which would be a couple of hundred grand at most - likely considerably less - and Lightwater took two years to build a kiddy's tractor ride because they couldn't afford to get it finished, then we can probably count those out.

The flat rides are a different matter. Aren't Pleasure Island's flats mostly/all travelling versions? The cost of relocating would be very low if that's the case. They'd just need to pay for the hardware and any maintenance that needs doing.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, I'm adamant that the cost of the Boomerang is around £1m, maybe a bit more at present. There was something online that showed that cost - it's also worth mentioning that this has the old trains, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got new with the refurb of it moving. With that in mind, adding the cost of logistics, refurbishing the old parts, painting the thing again, planning permission, amendments to the area in question at any park (I'm sure there's not one park in the UK that can just 'plonk' it down with little work to the existing infrastructure or landscape. So, basing it all off of knowing roughly the cost of haulage and so on in the UK, I'd say you're looking at closer to £1.5 - £2m for the extras associated with a park buying this, not inclusive of the hardware itself etc.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Yeah I guess I hadn't realised how little cash Oakwood and Lightwater have got or the relocation/refurbishment costs involved. I'm hoping it will stay in the UK, but how many parks are there that would buy a second hand ride and with £2-3m to spare?

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Fantasy Island, which is where this is apparently heading to, if you believe the rumours and it really wouldn't shock me.