What's new

Cedar Point | Rougarou | Mantis Floorless Conversion

bmac

Giga Poster
It's not going to take forever and a half to check a train anymore so in all likelihood Rougarou will be running all 3 trains for many years to come (unless parts shaving becomes a thing, which Cedar Point is usually good about).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That. I would go as far as to say Cedar Point has some of the greatest ride operations in the world, and can really crank through capacity. The steep drop in load times switching to floorless will hopefully do wonders for Rougarou - would love to imagine something along the lines of B&M invert loads.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hyde said:
^ That. I would go as far as to say Cedar Point has some of the greatest ride operations in the world, and can really crank through capacity. The steep drop in load times switching to floorless will hopefully do wonders for Rougarou - would love to imagine something along the lines of B&M invert loads.

Rougarou should have hourly capacity similar to Gatekeeper. Its cousin Bizarro has an hourly capacity estimate of 1728. I believe Raptor is somewhere north of 1800?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
And we have testing!

[tweet]http://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/592026882402557952[/tweet]

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting!

If you look close, you can even see the track flexing underneath the train, and briefly before the clip ends you can see the air drag ruffle the water underneath, disturbing the reflection. Nothing special about that, of course, but it's actually a little rare to see such details in an offride video.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Tony also "Periscoped" Rougarou testing, Periscope being Twitter's new livestreaming app. Here is the best bootleg Youtube video I could find of it - fun way to interact with coaster geeks!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sppd73znWvk[/youtube]

Also to the question on Raptor's capacity, official numbers are at 1,600 rph.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
I hope there's more of these stand-to-sit conversions in the future. The stand-ups are some of B&M's best layouts, but the fact they are stand-ups is a huge negative obviously.

Lofty

CF Legend
I know I've only rode one floors coaster, Kraken, but it's **** that you feel a different sensation from having your feet free above the track - it feels like every other sit down...

peep

CF Legend
Yeah I don't understand why parks don't just have normal sit down coaster trains? Surely there's less maintenance issues than a floor that has to separate in the station? Floorless cars are only able to provide a different experience for those in the front row too.

Still, I'd like to see more of their stand up coasters converted because they are great layouts.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I'm with the above comments, I always found the floorless thing purely a gimmick, they don't add anything to the experience or even feel different.
It's better than standing though, so guess still an improvement!

Absolutely, the standers do have great layouts, more should convert. Riddler's Revenge, amazingly, was the only I've personally experienced that was really good.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think the main reason they went with floorless trains is because of the heartline. The floorless trains are seated higher than sitdown trains, so it probably fits the Standup heartline better.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Lofty said:
I know I've only rode one floors coaster, Kraken, but it's **** that you feel a different sensation from having your feet free above the track - it feels like every other sit down...

Front row, son. Plus even if it doesn't really feel that different, I like having my feet free.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
At this point in the game - why put in a standard sit-down train? Floorless is gimmicky - that's the reason it was invented in the first place. But it also doesn't require too much more headway for installation (only the drop flooring, and even then SDC didn't install that for Wildfire), and does offer a different riding experience than the other 15 roller coasters in the park.

No harm, no foul?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
It's open to passholders!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlz8qfgR8Q[/youtube]

Looks really good in my opinion. =D> Still seems to have some headbanging but not as severe as it used to be. Can't wait to ride this bad boy next week! :--D

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
EDIT: Dag nabbit Jarret, you beat me to it! :(

It appears that they added Magnetic brakes, and possibly swapped out the friction ones?

Snoo

The Legend
Of course.. it still has that damn trim on the first drop. YOU WOULD CEDAR POINT, YOU WOULD.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
While most seats on a floorless are the same as the standard trains the front seat on any floorless has always been one of my favourite ride experiences. They are just so so much better than the rest of the seats I never queue for other seats on my first ride anymore.

On a stand up note. I rode Green Lantern the other day and it was perfectly smooth. Maybe a little shakey towards the end but nothing to moan about. Was Mantis really that bad?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
While most seats on a floorless are the same as the standard trains the front seat on any floorless has always been one of my favourite ride experiences. They are just so so much better than the rest of the seats I never queue for other seats on my first ride anymore.

On a stand up note. I rode Green Lantern the other day and it was perfectly smooth. Maybe a little shakey towards the end but nothing to moan about. Was Mantis really that bad?

When I rode it in 2013 I didn't really have any issues with it.