What's new

Katowice and Virtue (Legendia, Energylandia) - April/May 2024

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
Intro

Picture the scene: it's late March and you're a stressed engineering student deep in the throes of revision. You just found out that Hyperia at Thorpe Park, who's opening was one of your potential theme park highlights of the year, will now be delayed until dangerously close to the start of your final exam season. You make the sensible decision that you should wait until exams are wrapped up before heading to the Island Like No Other, but you're pretty bummed out about the increased wait to experience the most exciting attraction to debut in the UK for a decade. How do you get over this?

In a moment of reckless abandon, I decided to book return flights from London to Katowice to do a day apiece at Legendia and Energylandia in late April. I'd actually already booked some time in Katowice in June as a stopover enroute to Norway, where I planned to hit both Energylandia and Legendia for the first time. However, even at the time I thought my plans were slightly too ambitious, including only two full days to attempt both. Fortunately, this stop has since instead become a handy opportunity for me to revisit Energylandia and mop up the remaining creds, as well as see some local Katowice sights at a more leisurely pace. I really enjoyed my time in the city on this brief trip; especially the food was a very good and quite inexpensive. Overall, I paid £45 for return flights and £37 a night for a nice central Airbnb - not bad for a trip abroad.

LE12 IMG_1583.jpg

My trip began with a crack of dawn journey to Luton Airport. I was greeted with a massive, slow moving security queue that took me 50 minutes to pass through, forcing me to spring through the terminal to reach my gate within 5 minutes of last call. Fortunately, I did make my flight, and landed in sunny Katowice only a smidge late. Arrival at Katowice Airport was mercifully smooth in comparison, except for some delays and faff caused by my need to acquire some Zlotys, due to the card machine being broken on the bus ticket dispenser (which also only took exact payment in cash, to add another layer of faff). The public AP bus is frequent and works well for getting into town, so there's no need to worry about getting a transfer in my view.

Around 1:30pm, I arrived at Katowice Sadowa, the new and very well-equipped bus station. Here can you find pretty sizable, free (!) lockers to deposit your things for seemingly as long as you want - ideal since my Airbnb wouldn't let me check-in til later. In the same building, there were also toilets and a café who were happy to refill my water bottles for free. When I've visited Poland previously, I've always enjoyed the local cuisine, so that day I hit Pierogi Swiata for a delicious and very filling traditional Polish lunch. Fully refuelled, it was time to commence coastering.

Day 1 - Legendia

Located only 10-15 minutes tram ride from the centre of Katowice, Legendia honestly makes a great first impression. The entrance street looks very pretty, framing perfect views of Lech Coaster across the lake. The surrounding area is surprisingly lush and green, despite its proximity to the urban center of Katowice. The park is very clean, despite some attractions maybe being in need of a new lick of paint. Unfortunately, as an overall impression, this doesn't last. Legendia was ghostly quiet during my visit on a balmy Tuesday, leaving me genuinely worried how much money they would have lost by opening that day. The park was peppered with closed rides, with Dream Hunters Society and the Basilisk dark ride shut for at least the day of my visit and Scary Toys Factory remaining SBNO, in addition to several flat rides in pieces. As I wandered towards the back of the mostly empty park, I began to worry that this whole park was doomed to be a huge disappointment.

LE09 IMG_1517.jpg

Luckily, I was wrong. Lech Coaster really plays to what I like in a coaster; it’s the kind of thing that I’d have dreamed up in NoLimits and wished could be built.

Lech nails more or less every aspect of its presentation. Despite the generic appearance of much of the park, Lech anchors Legendia’s valiant attempt at a medieval themed section, with a stylish station and queue area. Similarly to my current number 1, The Ride To Happiness, much of the coaster is situated directly over water and visible from nearly anywhere in the park. The sections on land mostly criss-cross above the pathways of the area, offering some great angles to watch the ride soar overhead. My favourite presentational feature however is the barrel roll station fly-through, which has now become something of a calling card for Vekoma on their modern designs.

LE13 IMG_1518.jpg

Due to the desolate crowd level, Lech was running one train. Despite this, it remained walk on all day, with many trains dispatching with 8 or less riders aboard. I was pleasantly impressed by the restraints on Lech – whilst a lap bar would be better, the vests are massively more comfortable than those used by B&M and do not hinder the ride experience whatsoever.

Lech’s layout is beautifully choreographed, maintaining a natural flow amidst the intensity. The ride experience starts with a turn onto the lift hill, which swiftly brings you to the top before slowing to a crawl. The drop that follows is incredible. Whilst front row gets to hang over the edge of the shockingly steep incline, back row is rapidly yanked over. In the back right seat (my personal favourite), you experience a total ejection before rapidly rotating to the right and diving under the rocks. This breakneck speed continues through the entire first inversion, which applies sustained positives that left me greying out nearly every time. Lech then kindly fixes your grey-out problem by flinging you into a fantastic, twisted airtime hill, offering sustained ejector. This leads into another great ejector camelback, before the train barrels through the station and into an overbank. The intensity continues through a tight ground-scraping turn, a satisfyingly aggressive twisted hill, and a fast corkscrew. Some surprisingly rapid turns and a couple of additional floater airtime pops at last lead you to the final brake run. Like most modern Vekomas, Lech is glossy smooth throughout (impressive assuming the state of most of the rest of the park) and highly rerideable.

LE05 IMG_1618.jpg

I spent the last hour of my time at Legendia lapping Lech. As the sky began to dim and the abrasive afternoon temperatures subsided, only a handful of guests were left riding the coaster. I had a world class coaster practically to myself, and a perfect evening; what more could I want?

LE06 IMG_1649.jpg

Oh yeah, the rest of the park exists too.

The rapids are one of the more recent additions to Legendia, which is obvious due to the reasonable attempt that has been made at some kind of theming. Their bark is far worse than their bite, however – I came off practically bone dry, a slight disappointment on a day with temperatures cracking 27 degrees.

Continuing my loop back around the lake, it was time to take on Diabolik Petla. Freshly scarred from my poor experiences on King earlier that month, I was not exactly excited to ride this Soquet looper. I gave it a try on both the front and the singular backwards row; both were ****e, though backwards was at least more unique. Most of the layout is tamely profiled, leading to an awkward and uninteresting (but not actively unenjoyable) ride. The loops, however, are sudden and jarringly forceful, which slammed my head around and made me vaguely nauseous. Really a horrible coaster: avoid if possible.

LE08 IMG_1556.jpg

After a stop at the main entrance shop, which had a surprisingly extensive range of merch, I meandered to the ferris wheel which offers decent and unobstructed views of the park and the nearby city. This was followed by a ride on Dream Flyers. I found it quite fun - despite it’s ugly appearance is basically a slightly faster and more modern version of Blackpool’s Flying Machines. I concluded my circuit at Diamond River, a decently presented flume that unfortunately did it’s best to destroy my shins on the drop exits.

LE14 IMG_1567.jpg

Legendia is a convenient park well worth experiencing on an afternoon or evening in Katowice. It’s certainly not a full day experience - after 4 leisurely hours I felt more than satisfied I’d done it justice - but Lech Coaster alone is worth the price of admission. I am genuinely a little worried for the future of the park, as I’m certain they would have been running at a significant loss on the day of my visit despite the favourable weather and central location. Though Krakow has superior transport connections to Energylandia and various other places, the ability to visit Legendia further solidifies Katowice as a really good location to start or end a trip to this part of the world.

LE04 IMG_1640.jpg

After hopping back on the tram to the centre, I got dinner at Zurownia (another lovely restaurant serving local Polish cuisine, would recommend), grabbed some breakfast food from Zabka, then finally settled down for the night in my Airbnb.

Last edited:

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
Day 2 - Energylandia

My day at Energylandia, mercifully, required much less of an earlier start than the day prior. Energylandia, via BuzzBus, run an inexpensive once-a-day direct coach service from Katowice centre to the park. The bus was a bit late, both arriving at Energylandia and back in Katowice, but most importantly we arrived comfortably before rope drop. I also suspect that other fairly tall people will find the seats a bit cramped. That said, it gets you to and from the park with minimal stress.

EL10 IMG_1829.jpg

First impressions upon arrival were positive, with Hyperion arching temptingly alongside the car park, and Zadra looming in the distance. The show at the entrance was a nice touch, but I had no time to waste watching - there were creds to be had. The clock struck 10, the rope dropped, and it was off to the races. (Or, in my case, the speed-walks as Energylandia is massive and I didn't fancy exhausting myself running around within the first hour.)

Enroute to start my day at Zadra, I overheard two more English voices. This happened to be two really lovely British enthusiasts on the 2nd day of their first Energylandia visit, who quickly (potentially unwittingly) became my companions for the day. On our second ride of Zadra, we accrued a 4th friend - an American enthusiast blitzing though some European parks. I think I'm starting to make a habit of turning up to European parks alone and finding enthusiast company...

EL03 IMG_1769.jpg

Mere minutes later, we had arrived at Zadra, the main reason for my visit and a credit I had been longing for since I rode Hakugei last December. The ride structure is huge and imposing - honestly, I don't think photos do it full justice - and you can get some great views of it throughout the excessively long main queue. Due to the long front row queues and my lack of time, my 5 rides mainly centred around the back rows.

Zadra provides easily the most relentless aggression of the RMCs I've ridden, focusing mostly on high-speed manoeuvres and short ejector pops determined to rip your torso from your legs. As expected, the first drop offers a sustained ejection from your seat on the back row, with nice headchoppers on the pullout. I was, however, surprised by the turnaround - the upwards climb provides unusually strong positives for an RMC, and the downwards twist offers a beautiful moment of very sustained ejector. This is followed by the iconic stall, a feast of both visuals and forces, as you gracefully float upside down before being yanked back to earth. After a snappy outerbanked hill (Hakugei does this manoeuvre better) and high-speed twist, Zadra turns the pace down from blisteringly fast to simply fast. The final sustained airtime moment – the straight hill - was a little underwhelming in the morning but hit much harder by the end of the day. Finally, some more inversions, a couple of aggressive hills, and a great twisted hill send you slamming into the brakes.

EL09 IMG_1722.jpg

As I write this report, I’m still undecided as to how to rank Zadra in my top 10; luckily, I have a return visit on the cards soon to get a little better acquainted. It’s certainly very, very good, and easily the best overall package amongst the 4 RMCs I’ve ridden. However, due to Zadra’s sheer aggression, RMC’s poor restraints and train design felt like more of a hindrance here than on some of its cousins. Currently, Hakugei remains unbeaten for me – I felt much more of an instant connection with it, though that might have just the sheer relief I got from the fact it bothered to run that day.

Zadra also provided my first demonstration of Energylandia's locker system, which I really must commend. For those not in the know, more or less every main coaster at Energylandia has double-sided lockers, which are activated using a wristband purchased at your first ride of the day. You usually deposit your items shortly before the station (or before entering the queue in some cases, like Hyperion). All you have to do is scan your wristband at any ride, et voila - an allocated locker will fire open so you can deposit your bag, then close it to lock. Upon exiting, you scan your wristband again, and your locker will once again open. The implementation is slicker on some rides than others - Zadra's lockers for example are enroute from the exit, whereas on Formula you will have to double back for a minute to grab your belongings. That said, it's overall a very intuitive system which drastically reduces faff for both guests and operator, and I'd love to see it more widely adopted. In my view, this is a clear improvement on the ticket system for lockers used at the likes of Universal Japan.

EL02 IMG_1700.jpg

After 3 rides on Zadra, it was time to start chipping away at the other 18 creds in the park. First up was Abyssus. Though I sadly only had time for 1 ride (Abyssus had consistently one of the longer queues all day and there was a *lot* to attend to), I was reasonably impressed by this Vekoma multi-launch. The first launch and following section is deceptively punchy for what is effectively the warm-up act, offering some decent airtime pops and twisty manouvres. After this, launch 2 propels you up the top hat with acceptable levels of vigour, where the drop is sadly then completely neutered by the trim brake. Abyssus then apologises with a very nicely choreographed sequence after the loop; the exit sustains decent positives, which are then interrupted by a fast speed hill, before you fly through some near miss elements on the batwing and into a floaty twisted hill. The rest of the layout returns to a focus on smaller hills and turns. Whilst this is certainly a good time when riding, when I got off the ride the final inversion felt like the only real stand-out moment in this section. Abyssus falls firmly into the “floaty and fun” category of rides for me alongside the likes of ICON; it’s not hugely intense, but it’s glass smooth, satisfyingly long, and (I suspect) highly rerideable.

EL06 IMG_1758.jpg

We ticked off Light Explorers before heading to Sweet Valley. It feels a slightly odd layout for the area and doesn’t really do much, even for a family boomerang. That said, it’s set over water and has a funky gate thing near the spike, if those count as pros.

Despite Sweet Valley having been open for less than a week at the time of my visit, half of the UK enthusiast population seems to have already visited. Energylandia’s best attempt so far at a themed area has two Vekoma family coasters. Honey Harbour, the smaller of the two, is a well-presented and colourful coaster which offers a solid (and deceptively forceful) little layout.

EL11 IMG_1765.jpg

Choco Chip Creek is another great supporting family coaster for Energylandia’s lineup, and conceptually wild. You enter into a well-themed queueline (themed to a chocolate mine, I guess?), where your immersion is further enhanced by some blatant cosmetics product placement. This is shortly followed by a terrifying Nemesis Sub-Terra-esque preshow where your dark and claustrophobic lift down to the mines experiences a fault, in a sequence that is hilariously dissonant with the family-oriented nature of the ride. The coaster itself is very long, smooth and good fun, with some nice laterals offered at points. The onride presentation is subpar compared to other mine trains however, especially with the theming in its currently unfinished state (which looks straight up bad offride). Colorado Adventure remains undefeated as the undisputed best of this type of attraction.

EL13 IMG_1805.jpg

Formula is arguably quite a historic ride, heralding the beginning of Vekoma’s thrill coaster renaissance. Unfortunately, it has to share a park with Abyssus, which I think bests it in more or less every category. First off, Formula arrived just before Energylandia briefly unlocked the RCT2 “infinite money” glitch, so the presentation looks rather cheap and tacky compared to its sister in Aqualantis. Next, the launch is a bit weaker, seeming to do a tiny burst of weak acceleration before the launch proper begins – if this was present on Abyssus’ first launch, I didn’t notice it. Finally, the layout is much shorter and lacking in real stand-out elements. Whilst the first airtime hill offers good forces, I found the Immelmann pretty devoid of hangtime, and the later twisted hills offering insufficient airtime to overcome the vests. It’s one of the better rides in Energylandia’s lineup for sure, but Abyssus is 5 minutes’ walk away and Lech Coaster annihilates both anyways.

EL05 IMG_1791.jpg

Now, seasoned viewers may notice we’re almost 1400 words into this report and have still only discussed 6 coasters. Let me put those concerns to rest with a brief lightning round of our next creds.

Mayan: trash, but the most bearable SLC I’ve done so far due to the vest restraints. Rides atrociously despite not even being a decade old.

Viking: A horrible contraption with terrible and unnecessary OSTRs. At least this is so bad it can be at least slightly enjoyed ironically.

Boomerang: The better of the two family boomerangs in the park. Fairly well presented with a cool station flythrough and offers some decent forces. I get why this clone is everywhere nowadays.

Dragon: My first SFC and probably the best family coaster in the park. The entire coaster is, of course, glass smooth. The layout is also surprisingly dynamic. Favourite moment in the back row was undoubtedly the first drop.

Speed: Really quite wet. Whilst I don’t care for this model of coaster immensely – I think Mack are the kings of water coasters for now – I slightly preferred it to the one at Land of Legends which does nothing at the bottom of the first drop. The lift is arguably the coolest bit.

EL14 IMG_1793.jpg

Time to get back on a worthwhile coaster. Hyperion was at last calling our names, albeit rather slowly as it was still only running one train at 2pm. We tackled both the front and back rows, and I had chance to experience both a winged and a central seat. The ride starts incredibly strong. Whilst Zadra’s drop feels big, this is the first hyper I’ve found that gets near to the “endless drop” sensation I found on Leviathan, my only ridden B&M giga. First row gets fantastic views dangling over the precipice, back row gets some solid pull-in. The next camelback offers strong, sustained ejector. Despite the slightly rougher ride, the winged seats really shine on the dramatic dive loop and the Stengel dive – the extra distance from the heartline exaggerates the rolling motion and makes it a real highlight. Hyperion loses a bit of steam over the following speed hill and camelback (better in the back row than front) but mostly regains its mojo in the following twister section. The second Stengel-dive thing is again great, and the last straight airtime hill is a strong finisher.

EL07 IMG_1833.jpg

Hyperion is objectively a strong coaster – it’s got a great layout with good albeit imperfect pacing, it rides fairly smoothly, and the theming work is quite nice. However, it didn’t elicit the same kind of emotional reaction from me that Lech and Zadra, which has gatekept it from the highest echelons of my rankings. For now, it just edges out Kondaa, and sits towards the back end of my top 20.

EL08 IMG_1843.jpg

More family coasters next.

Energus. A Vekoma roller skater identical to K3 at Plopsa. It's fine.

Frida. Another Vekoma family coaster that does very little beyond offer views of a better ride.

I wrapped up the day with a couple more Zadra rerides, a rapid lap of the back of the park for photos and a final lap of Formula whilst passing by. By close at 6pm, I’d managed to grab 14/19 credits at the park, ticking off basically all of the coasters intended for guests over the age of 7. I would strongly advise any potential Energylandia visitors to ensure they have two days planned – you simply cannot get all the creds and reride the top 3 multiple times in one day without turning your day into an endurance test.

EL15 IMG_1677.jpg

Overall, I found Energylandia a well-operated park with a massive attraction line-up; this is definitely a must-visit in Europe. However, Energylandia does feel poorly planned and maybe somewhat lacking in character. Given the significant size of the park, you need to have at least a vague route plan for your day if you don’t want to spend half of it walking back and forth between rides. Multiple ride queuelines also suffer from being excessively long considering the size of their daily crowds. The front half of the park is an incohesive mess which is confusing to navigate and mostly put to shame by the better themed and better equipped back half. Yet, I found my greatest frustration as a first-time visitor was the opportunity cost of exploring the place fully – Hyperion, Abyssus and especially Zadra are by far the best thrill attractions at the park, and any time you choose to spend doing other attractions reduces your window of opportunity to ride these 3 standouts. This of course can be remedied by having a longer stay at the park (which, again, I will do in June). Equally, I think parks like Phantasialand which prioritise quality over quantity lead to a better experience, certainly for first-timers - sometimes, less may indeed be more.

EL01 IMG_1679.jpg

After one final dinner in Katowice (this time some surprisingly good ramen), it was time to rest up before a very early departure. The public airport bus once again worked perfectly, despite the ungodly hour, and I was through security at the airport in 15 minutes. I waved goodbye to the sun and coasters for now. Katowice - I'll be back...