What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm kinda holding off on my thoughts about the ride area until it's completed, I feel like some aspects are unfair to judge currently. I really hope the splashdown goes ahead and in terms of train design I think it's alright, but the lack of lights is a missed opportunity. Even just some headlights at the front would be something. Kinda hope they get retrofitted in the future, I'm pretty sure it could be done.
I think this is absolutely bang on.... As far as the ride area is concerned, it's not finished, by a long way... And to play devil's advocate a little, the only queue sections we've seen are the bits that pass under the ride, which obviously need the security fencing and netting. (The fact that the rest is cattle pen doesn't fill me with much hope, but that's another story altogether, will wait and see on that.) They've been racing to push these parts further along so that it's safe to begin testing. Landscaping, and other areas of the queue will continue during testing.

As for the trains not fitting the theme, I've never considered this to be a fully themed coaster, more stylised. It's more Icon than Nemesis. As Josh pointed out, the fact they came up with some sort of backstory in the cabins is the odd part here, the coaster really didn't need it, and it feels like an afterthought. When you think of it as a style more than a theme with a story, the trains absolutely do fit the project nicely. They match well with the hard angled styling and colour pallete of the buildings.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Are there any examples of Merlin making a really good queue for a major attraction?

I think the last time Thorpe put proper thought and effort into their landscaping was in 2003 when they put all that coloured bark around NI to look like lava and planted all those orange flowers in it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Are there any examples of Merlin making a really good queue for a major attraction?
I think Wicker Man has a pretty good queue, to be fair. I also thought that the recent one for Nemesis Reborn was quite good as well.

They do seem to have developed a bit of a penchant for cattle pens and 7ft fences, though… the rest of the queue might be better, but the cage bits under the ride look to give off a very “Smiler” type vibe.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think Wicker Man has a pretty good queue, to be fair. I also thought that the recent one for Nemesis Reborn was quite good as well.

They do seem to have developed a bit of a penchant for cattle pens and 7ft fences, though… the rest of the queue might be better, but the cage bits under the ride look to give off a very “Smiler” type vibe.
Swarm isn't terrible, there was an effort to incorporate the queue within the ruins, and the station is brilliant.

I actually prefer Swarm's queue to the NI queue, due to that horrible cattle pen on NI.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I've been told that they were building the second train in the shed whilst the first one was in the station... Is that true?

To the best of my knowledge, no. As I understand it, the second train isn't actually at the park, but it will arrive this week and be taken to the maintenance building pretty much straight away.

Today was for early initial tests of the system, checking restraints, etc.

Matt N

CF Legend
Would they be able to test the ride with only 1 train? Or would they wait for both trains before they start testing?

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I think the question is, can they finish testing with one train? I assume they need both trains cycling at max capacity for the full certification process to be completed

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
To the best of my knowledge, no. As I understand it, the second train isn't actually at the park, but it will arrive this week and be taken to the maintenance building pretty much straight away.

Today was for early initial tests of the system, checking restraints, etc.
I suspected as much. Had me wondering why we'd not seen any photos of the second train being lifted in.

I think the question is, can they finish testing with one train? I assume they need both trains cycling at max capacity for the full certification process to be completed
Yes, obviously both trains will need to be put through test cycles, eventually. But Josh is right in that it can certainly begin with one.

catsounds

Mega Poster

I think depending on the landscaping the queue could be.. ok?
I think Colossus & NI's queues are as best you get at thorpe purely because the trees and going under the coasters give at least a tad of escapism..
image.png

it's a shame instead of the cattlepen they couldn't have the queue follow a similar path to loggers layout, or like how Nemesis and air's venture round some of the layout, could have had the splashdown be a spectacle for people queuing

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Would they be able to test the ride with only 1 train? Or would they wait for both trains before they start testing?
They can start testing with one train.
This question got me thinking a little more tonight... Now keep in mind, this is theory, I know sod all. Perhaps somebody here with more knowledge on the matter will correct me if I am wrong.

But the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that they'd only start with one train even if both were on site. And they'd continue with one train for quite some time. Here's why I think that. Initial testing is not just testing 'the trains can get around the track 100 times without any problems ' as some seem to think. It's just as much about calibrating the coaster itself, and the coasters systems. From brakes to sensors, and so on. A big part of that will be calibrating and testing the computer, (or to be pedantic, the P.L.Cs,) including, and most relevant to my theory, the block system. They're not going to want to potentially risk an accident by testing it with 2 trains until the block system is 100% proven. I imagine that they'll test every possible eventuality by using one train and simulating a second one. For example, simulate train 1 not clearing block 2, and ensure train 2 does not leave block 1, and so on for each block.

Again, just my late night theory, I wish I could say it was drunken ramblings, but I don't really drink very often, these are just the weird things my mind thinks about at night when I'm bored... 🙈 😂

Anyway... Back to queue lines...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Again, just my late night theory, I wish I could say it was drunken ramblings, but I don't really drink very often, these are just the weird things my mind thinks about at night when I'm bored... 🙈 😂
Absolutely, 100%, correct. They will even be steps before this simulating both trains checking the various different controllers that need to talk to each other are. No good sending even one train round if you're not confident the sensor is at least talking to the head-end, let alone trying to run any control logic.

Happens all the time in my world - simulating equipment failures, fires, extreme temperatures, rain, etc - all to check the controls are doing what you expect before you start actually activating large pieces of equipment.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Do we think Hyperia will start testing today??

It MIGHT test around 4pm today as the wind is due to calm down by then.
But realistically, the earliest we'll see full test runs is tomorrow.

Edit - Have seen via DigitalDans social's that the water dummies have been filled today and there's lots of crew hanging around the site currently, it's looking more likely now 👀

Last edited: