What's new

Best Spinner Manufacturer

Which manufacturer has produced the best spinning coaster model?

• Intamin

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Gerstlauer

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Mack

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Maurer

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Reverchon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Historically I'd say Maurer are best in terms of quality across the board. But yeah, Time Traveller is a thing now so Mack are clearly the best at the moment.

Dragons Fury is quite possibly in my top 5 UK coasters, it's pure fun. Both Winjas are sound too.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Historically I'd say Maurer are best in terms of quality across the board. But yeah, Dwervelwind is a thing so Mack are clearly the best at the moment.
Yeah, I've changed the continent but this is my answer. Maurer have so many of my favourite spinners but Mack knocked it out the park with Drervelwind.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I am tempted to vote for Intamin just because of Tornado at Bakken. The way that spinner tried to kill me should not be legal. Well, it should be, and mandatory if you want to be considered a proper enthusiast. Love that coaster to bits. Realistically, a manufacturer with so few instances of spinning coasters shouldn't be crowned king.

So, I am going with Maurer Söhne, mainly because even though some of their models are meh (eg: Tarantula or their SC2000 models), when they get them just right they are an absolute blast and amazing (eg: Dragon's Fury, Winja's). I think they have shown they are capable of many things, are quite reliable and are generally good across all examples of that model.

As for Mack, I tried Le Twist at Le Pal and although it was good, it felt almost too controlled for a spinning coaster. I'd like to give a spin (pun intended) to their new X-treme spinning model before I decided if Maurer still reigns supreme.

Zamperla, Reverchon and Gerstlauer. Second tier spinners. Maybe Gerstlauer is a bit better and gets extra points for having the balls to install the first spinning coaster with an inversion, but generally very meh.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Huh, I had no idea I'd be in the minority when I said Gerstlauer is the best.

1. Gerstlauer - Spinning Dragons (WoA), Pandemonium (SFStL) - I really like the seating arrangement and spin factor on Gerstlauer's. Tame, but packs a fun amount of spin factor.
2. Reverchon - Exterminator at Kennywood totally redeems the ride type.
3. Mack - Siera Sidewinder (Knott's) - this was a pretty good ride, but did not spin as much as others. Capacity also felt slower with a lack of MCBRs.
4. Zamperla - Ragin' Cajun (SFA), Primeval Whirl (Animal Kingdom) - Look, they're traveling coasters you can build on the cheap. It's a fun thrill, with intense spinning, but not what I would prefer.
5. Maurer - Steel Dragon (Waldameer) - Maybe I just got the bad apple, but Steel Dragon was dreadful. Virtually no spinning, which can really put the backward facing riders in a bind. It was just bad.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Huh, I had no idea I'd be in the minority when I said Gerstlauer is the best.

1. Gerstlauer - Spinning Dragons (WoA), Pandemonium (SFStL) - I really like the seating arrangement and spin factor on Gerstlauer's. Tame, but packs a fun amount of spin factor.
2. Reverchon - Exterminator at Kennywood totally redeems the ride type.
3. Mack - Siera Sidewinder (Knott's) - this was a pretty good ride, but did not spin as much as others. Capacity also felt slower with a lack of MCBRs.
4. Zamperla - Ragin' Cajun (SFA), Primeval Whirl (Animal Kingdom) - Look, they're traveling coasters you can build on the cheap. It's a fun thrill, with intense spinning, but not what I would prefer.
5. Maurer - Steel Dragon (Waldameer) - Maybe I just got the bad apple, but Steel Dragon was dreadful. Virtually no spinning, which can really put the backward facing riders in a bind. It was just bad.
Unfortunately the Maurers over in the US are generally the meh SC2000's, none of which are highly rated, most of the good ones are based in Europe, so I'm not surprised it's bottom of your list.
Someone needs to get their ass to Branson ;)