What's new

Best Spinner Manufacturer

Which manufacturer has produced the best spinning coaster model?

• Intamin

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Gerstlauer

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Mack

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Maurer

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Reverchon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sandman

Giga Poster
Each manufacturer seems to produce quite a different style of spinning coaster. It'd be interesting to see which type people prefer best. So, which is it?
Let's base this on quality not quantity, since Intamin isn't that notable for this coaster type, but perhaps some people prefer their limited offering to those of Maurer, Reverchon etc.

Here are my favourite spinners from each manufacturer:

Intamin: Tornado, Bakken. Easily the most intense spinning coaster I've done. It's very snappy and doesn't give you time to comprehend anything.
Gerstlauer: N/A
Mack: Dwervelwind, Toverland. Really fab little layout with a great variation of forces, also the onboard audio is really great.
Maurer: Winja's Force, Phantasialand. Very unique spinner experience unlike most Maurer spinners I've been on. Great element of surprise too.
Reverchon: Twister, Lightwater Valley. Standard Reverchon spinner experience, meaning always a good laugh with friends but nothing fantastic in general.

Out of those, I'd say Dwervelwind is my favourite closely followed by Winja's Force. Generally speaking, I'm not that bothered about Maurer spinners but the unique qualities of both Winja's coasters put them leagues above previous models in my opinion. The Mack spinners, from my experience, seem a lot comfier and the fact you spin quite a lot gives it an unpredictability and pushes the versatility of the experience to new levels.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Zamperla also makes spinning coasters!
But anyways, considering I've never done a spinner before, I'm not going to vote. However, I would argue that Mack's look like the best out of them all.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Overall I'd say Mauer. Mack are a very close second.
I really liked Tornado at Bakken.
Reverchon are good for a laugh but sometimes the spin is gross.

Will

Strata Poster
I strongly suspect it's Mack, but tragically, I've not done one of their spinners yet.
Therefore, as hit and miss as they can be, it's got to be Maurer by default.

I like Tornado at Bakken, but I think the mixed reception (and those AWFUL restraints) probably have something to do with there not being many more of them.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Proper answer time. You left out many classics.
Gonna have to call Maurer the kings for now, but I look forward to Mack overtaking:

Intamin: Tornado's a bit of a bastard. However if we can believe Comet Express is theirs, then that almost wins it for them.
Gerstlauer: Crap thing at Prater. Most exciting part was the elevator lift. Didn't spin. Didn't do much of anything.
Mack: I like them all so far, though Space Fantasy is a dull piece of hardware. Just woudn't call them my favourites.
Maurer: They have made the best (Fury and Winjas) but also make a lot of crap. The Compact and SC2000 don't really suit spinning and are pretty vile.
Reverchon: Always a good competition to see which installation can outspin the previous one.
Zamperla: Not good at the Reverchon copies. Twistosaurus is alright though.
Fabbri: Terrible.
SBF Visa: No comment.
Golden Horse: Less intense versions of the Maurer Compact. Just need to try the inversion one.
Beijing Jiuhua Amusement Rides Manufacturing Co., Ltd.: 'Skateboards' are better than Maurer standard models.

Ah f*ck, I spited myself the only Zierer spinner in the world. Gonna give up looking now...

Matt N

CF Legend
Maurer: Fun rides, but sometimes quite rough and I don't like how they jerk you very hard into the restraint on their many MCBR's. For reference, I have ridden Spinball Whizzer and Dragon's Fury.
Reverchon: Nothing earth-shattering, but nothing awful either. Have only ridden Primeval Whirl at Disney's Animal Kingdom, my only memorable emotion upon exiting the ride was relief that it wasn't quite as awful as Rattlesnake at Chessington, the only other wild mouse-style coaster I've ever ridden. I sometimes forget that I've actually ridden Primeval Whirl, to tell you the truth. I'm not a fan of Wild Mouse coasters at all, though, so Reverchon's model is probably my least favourite of the ones I've ridden.
Mack Rides: Really fun, enjoyable ride experience with a decent amount of spinning. Cobra's Curse is the only one I've ridden, and it was great fun! Very smooth, as well, especially when compared to Maurer's spinners! Cobra's Curse is probably one of my 2 favourite family coasters outside of Disney and Universal, with the other being Thirteen! Therefore, Mack is my personal favourite spinning coaster manufacturer!

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Maurer - Some top custom layouts and the single car design gives every rider an unobstructed view.

Gerst - Bit tamer and more wild mouse like but the free spinning is still a laugh. Shame the two I've ridden felt the same (Discovery Kingdom and VR Park Dubai)

Mack - After riding Euro Mir and IMG Spiderman there's something about these I'm not keen on. I think it's because the layouts are just constant positive force without much variation. Not bad coasters by any means but not my cup of tea plus I find the controlled spinning a bit jarring. If I'd been on Time Traveller I'm sure Mack would top this list.

Reverchon - These make me giggle and I'll always make time for one but objectively they're poorer rides than the other three.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I've finally ridden a spinner in the form of Primeval Whirl, and I'd say it was a very wacky and interesting ride! Definitely doesn't belong in WDW though.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I only have Mack and Maurer to compare... the old Macks are vile (Euromir I'm looking at you). Dwervelwind was fab though and muuuuch more comfortable than any of the newer Maurers. Oh and the onboard audio is lovely. So... Mack. Even though the trick track on Winjas is hella fun, probably still Mack. Probably...

Edward M

Strata Poster
Based solely on what I've ridden, I'd say numero uno is Mack because, while I've only done Sierra Sidewinder, it was easily the best spinner I've done. Plus, Time Traveller looks very quality.
Then, I guess I'd say old Gerst because I've done so many of their Tony Hawk/Pandemonium models. While I found them hit or miss mostly, they're consistently good fun.
After that, I'd put Maurer since I've only done Laff Trakk and really, really disliked it. Early morning ride after a 40 minute wait, and it just crawled through the layout with barely a full spin. Gotta see how this changes after I do Winjas.
After that, there's the old Reverchon. They don't build great rides, but I tend to get a decent spin on these as compared to the next model.
Seems like everyone forgot Zamperla, but I'll toss them in here in last. I've done their model more than any other, but they were all duds.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's blatantly Mack, Time Traveler is another league of spinners.
Maurer have a few decent rides and Tornado divides the community, none of which even touch TT and the others are fairground rides really.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Ehh I don't feel like I've done enough spinners to form a proper opinion. I've done a Pandemonium, Sonic Spinball, and Cobra's Curse (oh and I've done some SPF spinners but let's not talk about those). I think I enjoy them all kinda the same? They're kinda fun I guess.

If I were to choose my favorite spinner I'd probably say Cobra's Curse, although I don't actually think it's a good spinner, as it barely does any spinning at all. I like it because it's a decent layout with some good theming and interaction.

I dunno, I need to ride more.