What's new

Zootopia coming to Shanghai Disney

Offical_Pitchnoir

Roller Poster
thumb_zsd20394802349823fi.jpg

Today, Shanghai Disney Resort announced that a “Zootopia”-themed land is coming to Shanghai Disneyland, marking the second major expansion since the resort opened in 2016. Based on the Walt Disney Animation Studios’ hit animated movie, this exciting development will be the park’s eighth themed land and the first-ever “Zootopia”-themed land at any Disney park.

Guests will be invited to experience the mammalian metropolis of Zootopia “where anyone can be anything,” with a new major attraction that will seamlessly blend Disney storytelling and state-of-the-art technology to bring this fan-favorite movie and its characters to life – including Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde. Entertainment, merchandise, and food and beverage offerings will invite guests to fully immerse themselves in the Academy-Award-winning animated movie.

The development of the world’s first “Zootopia”-themed land follows the huge success of the “Zootopia” animated movie globally, particularly in China where it broke box office records to become the country’s No. 1 animated feature film in history.

Construction is targeted to begin later this year! As always, keep your eyes on the Disney Parks Blog for more exciting updates all the way from Shanghai Disney Resort.
SOURCE

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm with Ben. Get your arse in gear and go to China. You'll get to do amazing Pirates too.

I understand why Disney clone stuff around the world - you only have to do the hard bit of the investment once and you can open up IPs to a wider demographic - but Disney must own enough IPs now to just throw new stuff in each park. I'd love to have the variety around the world. I'd almost love to see the different Disney parks trying to out-do each other in terms of quality, that would be immense.

On topic, though, this area will be really fab. I can't wait to see what form the flagship attraction takes.

peep

CF Legend
I'm intrigued to see how they incorporate this into the park. As they say its a state of the art attraction maybe it'll utilise the new dark ride tech that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is using? This thing will be pretty big btw as it's using a plot of land originally intended for a clone of Everest. Either way I love the film so I'm excited to see how they realise it in a theme park environment.

Or... go to Shanghai and hope Disney come up with original ideas for their parks rather than just clones!

This is my biggest issue with Disney fans. This was announced and all they could talk about was bringing it to Florida.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Hope this stays in Shanghai. Getting tired of Disney churning out uninspired cash-grab attractions lacking in genuine artistry.

Also Zootopia was a massively overrated film in my opinion.

jayjay

Giga Poster
If you can make an IP based attraction high quality, I don't see the issue.

Interesting IP though. The world building was the best thing about the movie but it's a different kind of world building that I can't see translating easily to a theme park.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Oh really? Tell me more about this Everest clone.
It was going to be a clone of Everest. Duh.

Zootopia was a trash movie, but after what they did with Avatar, I have faith in Disney.

What's China's rules on walking around with tails and ****? They are gonna have a furry invasion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Oh really? Tell me more about this Everest clone.
I have had way too much Whisky (its burns night) to go into much detail but the original Shanghai plans had an Everest clone on the plans for the Expansion area where this Zootopia area will be. A quick look dug up this image of the early plans with Everest handily circled up top.

Shanghai1.jpg

and a handy layout comparison to the against the plan.
Shanghai2.jpg
With Zootopia coming to this spot its clearly not happening. but thats where the Everest expansion stuff comes from.

Lofty

CF Legend
I wonder if they'd have managed to get the large animatronic (that the entire ride is designed around) working, unlike WDW.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Well you’d assume they learnt from the mistakes of yeti mk1. The problem is they can’t fix the WDW one without ripping apart the mountain structure.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Even though it would have been a clone, Everest would have been so much better. That ride is a real work of art.

Lofty

CF Legend
Well you’d assume they learnt from the mistakes of yeti mk1. The problem is they can’t fix the WDW one without ripping apart the mountain structure.
I know what the issue is with it - it's just a shame that they whacked a strobe on it and left it. Rhode has since said that he's still working on getting it working again, we just don't know to the extent of 'working' he means. I do love how they put it in a location that makes it impossible to fix the larger inner workings of the animatronic, it's hilarious.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
With Zootopia coming to this spot its clearly not happening. but thats where the Everest expansion stuff comes from.

How do you know the new land is going in that spot? I would have thought aesthetically it would blend better with Tomorrowland - and there's quite a bit of expansion space round there.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
How do you know the new land is going in that spot? I would have thought aesthetically it would blend better with Tomorrowland - and there's quite a bit of expansion space round there.
You'll have to ask @peep as he was the one to mention it first. I just went based off what he said.

peep

CF Legend