What's new

Rank the B&M Wing Coasters

Lofty

CF Legend
It's forceless, boring, thrown in the middle of a field, the only interaction with theming is a ridiculous looking tower... It is by far the enjoyable wing coaster I've done. Need I go on?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's forceless, boring, thrown in the middle of a field, the only interaction with theming is a ridiculous looking tower... It is by far the enjoyable wing coaster I've done. Need I go on?
This guy. Wing Coasters generally are build to be swoopy and not forceful, which is fine, but they are boring. X-Flight just doesn't do anything good, compared to the others it's the worst, but apart from Thunderbird and (imo) Gatekeeper, they are all a bit flat.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
1. Fenix - The speed and snappiness is fabulous, the integration into the landscape is outstanding. B&M has learned and managed to create a great experience with very simple elements, by just executing them better than they have been done in the past on wing coasters. My only complaint is that the final turn is not refined enough for me. It needs more airtime or more overbanking to make a flawless layout. The near misses below the bridges are cool. They take advantage of existing structures without going out of the way, minimalistic but clever. Once the theming is complete, it will just add up to the experience.

2. The Swarm - probably one of the most well-refined coasters ever designed. It has the best wingover-drop and 5 awesome elements, but I will never be able to get over how stupid the final turnaround is. That's the part where Fenix steals the show, because Swarm's other 5 elements are great but not great enough to overshadow Fenixes 5 elements + its final turnaround.

2. Raptor - I like how this coaster was designed on a clean slate. The lack of "this is a xxx coaster, so it needs yyy" makes for a very refreshing layout and my favourite selection of near misses. It is only super barely behind swarm, but in general the Top 3 are very closely together for me. Tie for 2nd place as it deserves a tiny bonus for being the first one.

4. Flug der Dämonen - oh boy... it potentially has the best layout of all 4 wing-coasters on this list, but it manages to deliver the least. The rattle really ruins the B&M-feel that is absolutely necessary to enjoy winged seating (how did that even happen?) and every element is just a little too slow and weak to be fully enjoyable. The first 3 elements are pretty much identical to Fenix, yet Fenix manages to deliver so much more on every single one of them. The near misses are not thought out enough as they are weaker than Fenixes bridges in terms of space constriction, yet mostly exist for their entire point of being near misses, which is not acceptable compared to how well Raptor and Swarm do intentional near misses, and how sneaky/well integrated Fenixes bridges are. Krake pulling larger crowds than this speaks for itself, just a waste of potential.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Uh.... Not a fan. But if I had to pick.. Uh.... Uh....

GateKeeper Cedar Point
X-Flight Six Flags Great America
Swarm Thorpe Park (*backward seat only*)
(large gap)
Wild Eagle Dollywood

Not B&M
Furius Baco PortAventura Park - Probably one of the bottom coasters, of my +975

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Uh.... Not a fan. But if I had to pick.. Uh.... Uh....

GateKeeper Cedar Point
X-Flight Six Flags Great America
Swarm Thorpe Park (*backward seat only*)
(large gap)
Wild Eagle Dollywood

Not B&M
Furius Baco PortAventura Park - Probably one of the bottom coasters, of my +975
Thunderbird?

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
I've only gotten to the ones in the States...So for me it would be:
1. Gatekeeper
2. Wild Eagle
3. X-Flight
4. Thunderbird

I really like Wild Eagle's "position" on top of the hill, and that it doesn't go for an inversion right away. X-Flight's a fine diversion from laps on Goliath & RB. It's just too short. speaking of length, Thunderbird's at the bottom because it is ridiculously too short.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I've only gotten to the ones in the States...So for me it would be:
1. Gatekeeper
2. Wild Eagle
3. X-Flight
4. Thunderbird

I really like Wild Eagle's "position" on top of the hill, and that it doesn't go for an inversion right away. X-Flight's a fine diversion from laps on Goliath & RB. It's just too short. speaking of length, Thunderbird's at the bottom because it is ridiculously too short.
I understand that it is your own opinion but how is wild eagle above Thunderbird?

hendrixmarshall

Roller Poster
Ummm...I really like Eagle's position on top of the hill, and it doesn't invert on the first drop. And, thunderbird is like, 1 minute 18 seconds or something like that. Probably counting the time sitting in the brakes. Thought I wrote it out fairly clear. Ridiculously too short.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Ummm...I really like Eagle's position on top of the hill, and it doesn't invert on the first drop. And, thunderbird is like, 1 minute 18 seconds or something like that. Probably counting the time sitting in the brakes. Thought I wrote it out fairly clear. Ridiculously too short.
Ohh my bad, sorry for the inconvenience.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The ride time of X Flight from the top of the lift to the brakes is around 50 seconds. Wild Eagle has a similar ride time of 60 seconds.
Thunderbird's ride time from launch to brakes is 50 seconds.
By all means prefer a ride for the setting, or elements, but you're talking out of your ass on ride time.

Edward M

Strata Poster
By all means prefer a ride for the setting, or elements, but you're talking out of your ass on ride time.

giphy.gif

oriolat2

Giga Poster
One yet to be built.

Nah, in all seriousness, out of the two that I have been on (Gatekeeper and X-Flight) I would take X-Flight any day.
Thunderbird looks really enjoyable though.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Prefer Swarm over Raptor. Raptor is better themed but it's mainly low to the ground turns and slow wingover inversions. At least Swarm does a bit more with the variety of its layout even though it's too short.

I don't rate either to be honest. The uncomfortable vests negate how smooth they ride and I don't enjoy the sensation of being pulled through inversions at weirdly slow speeds. Definitely the worst B&M type for me though I'm yet to try a stand up.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Update. I'll throw in some reasons an' all this time.

1. Parrot Coaster - Amazing first drop, great inversions which are decently spread out as opposed to the designs which consist of nothing but, mist/tunnels, and pretty forceful. Love it.

2. Wing Coaster (Colourful Yunnan) - On paper - at least the order of inversions - it seems similar to X-Flight, but it's LOADS better. It seems more drawn out and on a bigger scale (pretty sure it's quite a bit taller) and the theming is excellent.

3. Flying Wing Coaster (Happy Valley) - Lovely looking thing with very drawn-out layout. The only one I've done with a vertical loop. Some of the other inversions are very different from most on this coaster type as well. It's kind of forceless though.

4. Raptor - It's only the straight first drop (so much better than those inverted things) that keeps it this high.

5. Flug - It was just kind of "there" for me. I got a bunch of rerides in and enjoyed them, but it wasn't a particularly memorable coaster.

6. Swarm - Looks great, but too short and is basically just a series of inversions crammed in together.

7. X Flight - Garbage.

Coasterfan-Manel

Roller Poster
At this moment, my ranking is so short but I hope I can ride more in the future because I really love this kind of coaster, especially its smoothness and its restraints.
1. The Swarm.
2. Raptor.
First row in The Swarm is lovely because of the first drop when you are upside down before the train accelerates.
And also, because it's the first kind of coaster with inversions that I can ride on them in a row very times (6) without feeling dizzy (I'm dizzy every ride in Dragon Khan :emoji_tired_face:)