What's new

Highest Point on Launch Coasters

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
What's up lovely people. Been wondering about this:

it's a common theme amongst launch coasters to have the highest point of the ride immediately after the launch. Think of Blue Fire's Horseshoe-Turn (what's what you'd call that, right?), Cheetah's weird meandering curves, Taron does that as well... I hope you know what I'm talking about.

Now my question is, is this just a preferred choice of design or an absolute mandatory rule to prevent stalling throughout the ride? Because for example, I know that Taron implements this design, but it also has the possibility to launch a train from the 2nd launch backwards to the station, and in this order, the train does not pass a high point that would make sure it will complete the lap. As to my knowledge, that is possible because Taron has a Boost-Mode that allows it's trains to go much faster when they are not loaded with riders.

Is it generally possible to design a launch coaster that does not follow this rule (and optionally, doesn't have a boost-mode either)? Are there examples?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is actually a good question. I'd stick my neck out and say it's not a rule, especially as modelling capability increases and the engineers can predict the dynamics much better, but it's probably seen as the safer option though. Principally, you don't want a train to have a duff launch and the train to not be able to roll to a safe area. If the train could end up valleying, that's not ideal.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but no guarantee I'm just not being dim!

As to my knowledge, that is possible because Taron has a Boost-Mode that allows it's trains to go much faster when they are not loaded with riders.
Just for clarity, this is true of any launch. Newton's Second Law (F=ma) shows that a constant force applied to a smaller mass will result in a higher acceleration. The difference will be whether the launch software is configured to allow this to happen - a simple programming toggle, really.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Dodonpa comes to mind as one example that doesn't follow that formula. The old 'Speed' ride in Vegas? Furious Baco, maybe?
I suppose technically, there's no reason why you couldn't have the highest point of the ride near the end provided the train is still carrying enough momentum, but that seems awfully... wasteful? And besides, the further along the course the train is, the more it becomes subject to unpredictable variables, right? Weight and movement of riders, wind, rain etc... thus increasing the risk of a stall.
Total guesswork on my part but, y'know, seems logical.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I mean, any shuttle coaster would have the highest point at the far end of the layout, prior to the return motion... like say the example above being Speed the Ride. But the same is true for any given Shuttle Loop or Mr. Freeze, Chiller.
technically full throttle doesn't achieve its highest point until after its second launch section

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Isn't that just the logical thing to do (and in fact every coaster does it, non-launch aswell)? Because the total energy is the highest at the beginning? The highest you could possibly go with a certain launch speed is 100% always directly after the launch, the longer you wait the lower you can possibly go...
I mean, at what point do you consider something as "directly after the launch" aswell? Can the coaster take a curved turn? Or have some kind of platform before the first element (like the new Asterix coaster after the first small launch)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It is pretty much a rule, because even with technology advancing, there's a certain unpredictability with launches due to wind etc. Even Rita has managed to underlaunch before (launched with the brake fins still engaged). So it makes logical sense for the train to be able to return to the launch position, no costly recovery operation to get the train back.

This is especially true with Top Hats. You will only ever see a top hat as the first element after a launch, because the speed has to be very precise over these elements (too fast, and you'll be pulling very uncomfortable negative G force over the top. Too slow, and the train won't crest). Then the rest of the layout is designed with the minimum speed of the train passing over the top in mind. This is in the same way that a coaster layout with a MCBR is designed so that the train can return to the station after being fully stopped midway through.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I can only talk about Furius Baco, which is the one I have read and chatted about with other Spanish enthusiasts.

When Furius Baco was being constructed, before reaching (initial) target speed, which was meant to be 84 mph (nowadays, 77 mph), the winch had to be progressively warmed up and adjusted. One of the first launch tests with trains was at the lowest speed Furius Baco was deemed safe to make it back to the station. Apparently, the trains were launched at just 45 mph, a little over half the speed it currently launches...

Considering the ride goes into a trench after launching upwards (well, not quite but the launch is quite steep) and it never goes higher than 50 feet, it is safe to say that it won't probably ever roll back or stall.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The primary concern is rollbacks (I would imagine), in which case having highest points earlier in the ride helps offset concern of valleying. The Premiere shuttle coasters technically have their highest points at the end of the ride, but let's also not forget they have booster launchers to help raise the train higher to complete the circuit back. (Boomerangs too have a secondary lift hill to ensure a steady return)