What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I marked the wheel chassis of every row. Not trolling at all, there are clearly only 9 rows of passengers. I think you count the person in the last row on the left seat as a separate row. I see that the rendering looks there a little bit confusing, but again: Just count the wheels, then it's very obvious.
Okay I feel a bit ashamed now :oops:
I did indeed see that person as an extra row. I excuse myself for being harsh in the previous post

Ethan

Strata Poster
There are ten rows, not that it matters. The test set up at the Vlodrop plant also had 10 rows, so that's a good indicator.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
As Ethan has said the test train had 10 rows, it would be odd to test with a longer than necessary train and the length of that train corresponds with the length of F.L.Y.'s station platforms. So the conclusion reached by peeps on PhantaFriends is that F.L.Y. will have 10 rows per train.
Regardless if Vekoma's concept art has 9 or 10 rows. If the art does have 9 it could simply be misleading or perhaps the standard model they plan to offer has 9, while F.L.Y.'s custom trains have 10?

Dark Ride
Over on PhantaFriends people have been discussing the how Vekoma's description of the new gen. model emphasises its capabilities for dark ride sections.
On this really unique ride, riders are comfortably and safely harnessed in a prone position. Riders start in a sit-down position and are transported sideways to a dark ride section. They are immersed in a story to save the world using their flying super powers. Prepared to get launched, the track and seats are turns 90 degrees creating a smooth transformation from dark ride to flying coaster from where the flight begins and riders experience inversions, air time moments, near miss moments and a lot more. With their arms stretched out, face down and parallel to the track, this is as close as it gets to flying like superman!

The combination of the different positions of riders, creating a free view dark ride section in combination with a thrill, makes this ride type a one of a kind in the roller coaster industry.

Ever since the days of the Vlodrop prototype tests people have been speculating about a dark ride section. Now with the construction site we know that after the station trains will travel along 50m approx. of straight track through a separate room and then up the 30m long enclosed lift (measurements from PF user PHL-Marcus) - all facing outwards in the sitting position. Depending on speed this could take around 30 - 40 seconds. It seems unlikely that riders will just look at a brick wall.
So I would think its likely we could see some kind of "dark ride elements" here before the launch - which would mirror the Vekoma product description (although of course this is not by any means confirmation).

Obviously whether it is simply something that enhances the experience and helps build tension (say like Blue Fire's dark ride section) or more of a story telling moment (like Baron 1898) remains to be seen.
But I think there is great potential for some really nice show elements with the steampunk theme. The park has proven they're more than capable of theatrical elements with Maus au Chocolat, Mystery Castle, Talocan, Chiapas and Black Mamba's station dispatch.
Animated theming such as moving wheels, gears and cogs/machinery with some effects (like steam for example) as you pass by. Cogs turning in the same direction as riders travel could create the impression the machinery is propelling you along/up the lift.
We could perhaps also/or see some projections or even screens - if the quality is high enough and its embedded well into the theming (similar to Maus au Chocolat or Pirates Shanghai) I personally wouldn't mind.

No. of Trains
This discussion on PhantaFriends also sparked speculation regarding the number of trains the ride will have. We know F.L.Y. has 3 maintenance bays so a minimum of 4 trains is guaranteed. However might it actually have 5 trains? Colorado Adventure also only has 3 bays yet had 5 trains (until 2002 when the 5th was deemed surplus to requirements, removed and placed in storage for spare parts). I believe Blue Fire at Europa has 3 bays but also 5 trains?
Plus with the station being completely enclosed underground parked trains would be stored protected from the elements at all times.

So it would just depend on whether there is actually a dark ride bit in the first place, and would it be a block section in the layout?
Because then: 1. Station Load Platform 2. Dark Ride 3. 1st launch 4. 2nd Launch 5. Station Off Load Platform.

However perhaps its not even necessary. With just 4 trains I think F.L.Y. is likely to surpass Taron's throughput of 1200pph with there being 10 rows per train rather than Taron's 8 rows, and almost certainly a slightly shorter layout (dark ride section could result in a similar ride duration though).

Of course this is all just theories for now! Just have to wait and see.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
The information on the site of Vekoma says: "Soon to be announced...."

There is just one thing missing: Bleib neugierig. :p
(= stay curious)

I wonder a few things and I want to unleash a small discusion to bridge Phantasialand's closing period:

- What do you think what the Rookburgh entrance looks like?

- Why does it have two separate doors?

- Do you think the big window above the two doors will stay like this? Or will it become transparent and there is something behind it?

- What would those two arches serve against the new Wuze Tall wall? Or are they purely for decoration?

Let's make some predictions and we will see who is right. Haha.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I wonder a few things and I want to unleash a small discusion to bridge Phantasialand's closing period:

- What do you think what the Rookburgh entrance looks like?
An industrial Victorian/early 20th century riveted gateway. ;)

- Why does it have two separate doors?
Presumably the centre pillar is a vital structural support for the existing building above so they created a doorway either side for it to look better. They had to awkwardly dig that tunnel underneath the workshops to reach the old Berlin shop that is now the gateway.

- Do you think the big window above the two doors will stay like this? Or will it become transparent and there is something behind it?
The park's workshops, backstage facilities and offices are behind there so no. Those faux windows are permanent. I imagine will see more windows like it in the area.

- What would those two arches serve against the new Wuze Tall wall? Or are they purely for decoration?
I'd say it just to give it more depth. The wall is on top of a building which stretches a few metres out in front of the wall. The arches presumably connect to the front of the building below to blend them together.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
F.L.Y may have ten rows, but the train in the artwork released by Vekoma only has 9. Where are people seeing the extra row?
Count the arms, especially at the rear of the train. At the very back, it looks like there are three rows squashed together, but it's really just that you see the arms of both people sitting in the last row.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
As previously mentioned here a few months back Phantasialand have been having issues with trademarking the name 'F.L.Y.'
2 companies (a German bicycle firm + Portuguese jewellery firm) complained on the grounds of possibility of confusion with products or theirs.
http://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016873135

Over the past year according to the EUIPO website there has been correspondence between the parties involved; presumably as the park tried to negotiate with them - but it was seemingly unsuccessful because a few days back, on the 16th November, the EUIPO issued a "notice of ground for refusal of an application".
Screenshot_20181119-235231_Samsung_Internet.jpg

The article referenced:
Rule 11 : Examination as to absolute grounds for refusal
(1) Where, pursuant to Article 7 of the Regulation, the trade mark may not be registered for all or any part of the goods or services applied for, the office shall notify the applicant of the grounds for refusing registration. The Office shall specify a period within which the applicant may withdraw or amend the application or submit his observations. ...'

If I'm understanding this all correctly it seems quite unlikely they will be successful in getting the name F.L.Y. trademarked.
The park have been given 2 months to amend or withdraw the application but since the issue is the name itself I doubt there's much that can be done (especially after 11 months of correspondence with the opponents) other than change the name?
So will we be seeing soon a new name for the coaster? Or will they still be able to find some way to resolve the situation?

Either way I hope its sorted soon so they can start marketing/teasing this thing!