What's new

Bonfire night

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
We moved into our current house 15 years ago. Every year at around 1930 on the Saturday closest to bonfire night, we've watched a fairly decent professional fireworks display from our bedroom window.

This year I finally got around to having a look at Google maps to try and figure out where the hell the display was coming from.

Turns out it's...

Thorpe Park.

Which is only 1.8 miles away as the crow flies.

Feel like a bit of a tit for not realising this sooner...

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Calm down peeps. I've obviously been to Thorpe more times than I can remember. I just never realised before looking at the map that the firework display was coming from the park!

Snoo

The Legend
Calm down peeps. I've obviously been to Thorpe more times than I can remember. I just never realised before looking at the map that the firework display was coming from the park!

giphy.gif

:D

mouse

Giga Poster
I have a similar story actually. For 15 years I've been getting the train into work, only to be returned to the station almost immediately.

Turns out it wasn't even a train, I've just been riding Stealth at 8:30 every morning.

Last edited:

Ben

CF Legend
Yes they do at their 'hotel'. Though we can't see it.

Sent from my small tapping device

There's no mention of them anywhere on the entire internet, including no tweets or social media.

Sunday was services day and yet not a soul has mentioned them?

Considering their hotel is... tiny and just, in the park?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
This is a ridiculous thread but I went to the John Lewis buyout at Thorpe in November 2016 and there was a fireworks display at that.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Wait Thorpe don’t even do fireworks?
I know it wasn't a John Lewis day on Sunday, I was just mentioning the fact that they've done fireworks on non public days before so there could have been fireworks on the service day on Sunday.

To be honest Ben I don't know why I replied to this, I think we've both got bigger fish to fry in life than whether or not the OP saw fireworks out his window or didn't realise he lived so close to Thorpe.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Oh come on it was obvious the OP knew he lived near to Thorpe but just didn’t realise the fireworks came from there. No enthusiast would be that stupid that they didn’t know they lived so near to a major park. It’s you guys that are on something ;)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh come on it was obvious the OP knew he lived near to Thorpe but just didn’t realise the fireworks came from there. No enthusiast would be that stupid that they didn’t know they lived so near to a major park. It’s you guys that are on something ;)

He knew that, we knew that but, in a similar spirit to the original post, a few us engaged in some light hearted, loosely theme park related forum banter based on a fairly amusing anecdote. What's wrong with that?

jayjay

Giga Poster
I have a similar story actually. For 15 years I've been getting the train into work, only to be returned to the station almost immediately.

Turns out it wasn't even a train, I've just been riding Stealth at 8:30 every morning.

Brb, filing a patent for cable launched public trains.

Snoo

The Legend
giphy.gif