What's new

Lightning Rod Status

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Amen brother.

Apparently they have "fixed" the zero car. They look to have removed the engine design piece. Although I'm not really sure how reliable this source is.

Wow. I'm kind of struggling to brainstorm reasons for this change. It's certainly smaller and lighter...not as much overhang. Maybe there was a weight issue with the original? Or maybe the fascia actually fell off and caused some damage? With IAAPA coming up, that would be an interesting question to ask Pete...if he is allowed to answer, that is.

Was the fascia the singular root cause? I highly doubt it. But something obviously drove the change. As we discussed, there's way more going on behind the scenes that we may never even get a slight hint about.

Matt N

CF Legend
But now the zero car looks :emoji_poop:. Why would they need to change it? I doubt it would really affect the ride?
Might it potentially cause less drag over the hills due to a lower mass? Or maybe the train was moving too quickly through the apparent rough patches in the track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's an interesting question, as I don't think they've changed the underlying chassis, which suggests it wasn't really a train dynamics issue. I wonder if the original zero car was just heavy, and they were looking for every spare kilogram (or pound, stupid Americans ;) ) to lighten the train up.

Once they'd sorted the launch (back in 2016/2017), they were still having issues with the trains overshooting brakes and things. A lighter train would certainly help with this!

I'd love to know. It would have been a great engineering problem to solve!

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
i really really hope that new nose is a temporary fix whilst they develop a new, more suitable one or find out whatever issues there were with the previous one. it looks hideous.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
i really really hope that new nose is a temporary fix whilst they develop a new, more suitable one or find out whatever issues there were with the previous one. it looks hideous.
I'm of two minds on it, primarily if this is what it takes to keep the coaster regularly operational - fine. At least there is some aesthetic preserved, versus totally deleting theme...

599c55c0d5ad2.image.jpg

I am interested though as how the change in zero car helps improve physics. Was it the train was too long? Too front heavy?

Pear

Strata Poster
At least there is some aesthetic preserved, versus totally deleting theme...
At least TTD still has the front car which does resemble a dragster so I don't consider it totally deleted.

From what I've heard the front car caused vibrations because of the nose not being supported enough. They then added a metal bar underneath it to support it but it ended up making the train too heavy.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yeah, put me in the small camp that prefers the new zero car. It's much smaller and offers much better sightlines. It's still not as good as just a bare zero car with a completely unobstructed view, but this is a healthy compromise.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Yeah, put me in the small camp that prefers the new zero car. It's much smaller and offers much better sightlines. It's still not as good as just a bare zero car with a completely unobstructed view, but this is a healthy compromise.

This. I prefer the new zero car as well.