What's new

Kings Island removes Firehawk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Well tonight I was chatting with a Firehawk ride op about the whole chopping block rumor and after my ride they had to call maintenance over to manually unlock our restraints. Ride op and I look at each other and both of us just kind of burst out laughing and nod silently in agreement, it was hilarious.

Something else I thought of: which coaster ends up getting the axe could also tell us what type of B&M we’re getting in 2020. Vortex’s spot is just about the right size for a Valravn-ish dive coaster. Meanwhile, Firehawk’s spot is adjacent to a ton of land, perfect for them to run a giga back out behind Banshee. They could theoretically fit either type in either plot but they seem to scream their respective types a lot more than the other possibilities.

I’m still thinking Firehawk. Like, I’d seriously promise to marathon Firehawk in 2019 if it’s still there I’m so confident about it. I’ll be very surprised if it isn’t.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Well tonight I was chatting with a Firehawk ride op about the whole chopping block rumor and after my ride they had to call maintenance over to manually unlock our restraints. Ride op and I look at each other and both of us just kind of burst out laughing and nod silently in agreement, it was hilarious.

Something else I thought of: which coaster ends up getting the axe could also tell us what type of B&M we’re getting in 2020. Vortex’s spot is just about the right size for a Valravn-ish dive coaster. Meanwhile, Firehawk’s spot is adjacent to a ton of land, perfect for them to run a giga back out behind Banshee. They could theoretically fit either type in either plot but they seem to scream their respective types a lot more than the other possibilities.

I’m still thinking Firehawk. Like, I’d seriously promise to marathon Firehawk in 2019 if it’s still there I’m so confident about it. I’ll be very surprised if it isn’t.
So would you then be #kingoffirehawk and ride it for a week straight?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another shot of the burial plot at night.
EA10AE55-F7B2-45DB-9D18-FFBA960951E0.jpeg
One observation I’ve heard is there are 11 chairs, yet 12 major roller coasters at the park.

Personally? ... I’d like to think it’s not a roller coaster. Or at least, if Kings Island were to remove a roller coaster, they would give it a bigger pomp and circumstance, such as last rider fundraiser or the beloved Mean Streak eulogy. It’s just nice to give folks a heads up to get their last ride in - I hope for KI’s sake they wouldn’t wait to announce a coaster removal until end of season.

That being said, and to try to give some non-roller hypothetical context to the hashtags, the #ItsBigItsGone could simply refer to a tall attraction - Drop Zone? Chief interest for removing such a tall ride could be to either make room (though the footprint is hardly anything) or remove it before the addition of s next door attraction, similar to Space Spiral for Gatekeeper.

Ehh, I dunno. Just give me that damn Giga.

Peet

Giga Poster
I've never been anywhere near KI but as a casual observer it seems like a park with 4 wooden coasters and no RMCs might consider giving one of them the hybrid treatment. I know there are strong arguments against RMC-ing any of them (Mystic Timbers is too new, Woodstock too small, Racer and Beast are kind of sacred), but I think it's a possibility.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Another shot of the burial plot at night.
View attachment 3734
One observation I’ve heard is there are 11 chairs, yet 12 major roller coasters at the park.

Personally? ... I’d like to think it’s not a roller coaster. Or at least, if Kings Island were to remove a roller coaster, they would give it a bigger pomp and circumstance, such as last rider fundraiser or the beloved Mean Streak eulogy. It’s just nice to give folks a heads up to get their last ride in - I hope for KI’s sake they wouldn’t wait to announce a coaster removal until end of season.

That being said, and to try to give some non-roller hypothetical context to the hashtags, the #ItsBigItsGone could simply refer to a tall attraction - Drop Zone? Chief interest for removing such a tall ride could be to either make room (though the footprint is hardly anything) or remove it before the addition of s next door attraction, similar to Space Spiral for Gatekeeper.

Ehh, I dunno. Just give me that damn Giga.
I haven't seen the burial grounds myself yet (I haven't been as a guest much this season), but if there are 11 chairs there and 12 coasters, it could very well spell a coaster removal...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Double post but Kings Island have also now put this up:

Its a coaster going alright!

EDIT: Video caption not showing so here it is:
The air is eerily calm as we make final preparations for the ill-fated demise of one of our 16 roller coasters. Final rides will begin this weekend, with the last days of operation occurring the final weekend of the Halloween season, October 26-28. The departing coaster will be revealed later this week. #RestInPiecesKI #ItsBigItsGone #RIP2018KI

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Double post but Kings Island have also now put this up:

Its a coaster going alright!

EDIT: Video caption not showing so here it is:
The air is eerily calm as we make final preparations for the ill-fated demise of one of our 16 roller coasters. Final rides will begin this weekend, with the last days of operation occurring the final weekend of the Halloween season, October 26-28. The departing coaster will be revealed later this week. #RestInPiecesKI #ItsBigItsGone #RIP2018KI
My money's on Vortex.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Their marketing is so sneaky haha. Doesn't firehawk take up a massive corner as well so lots could be done with that area too?

At least they're announcing it in an interesting way I suppose. Making it less like "oh by the way we're demolishing this byee".

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Let's see, what are the arguments for or against this being Vortex?

For:
  • Manufacturer has been out of business for a decade and a half.
  • Age exceeding 30 years - at any rate, it will have to undergo some heavy maintenance soon to retain its functionality.
  • Undeniable progress of technology in the years since the ride was built, it is certainly no comfortable work of precision engineering/manufacturing.
  • It's a sit-down multi-looper, neither unique to the park nor irreplaceable.
  • Its concept is arguably redundant with Flight of Fear.
  • It takes up a great deal of land.
  • It has apparently been stated that it's expensive/difficult to keep it operational.
Against:
  • Some historic value in its age, size, and the fact it was the first six-inversion coaster.
  • It has operated for 30 years already, sure it could remain popular/operable for another few years?
  • Arguably the only coaster in the park to fill its niche, with Flight of Fear being indoor and lacking the big, open drop.
  • Sit-down multi-looping coasters are actually a bit of a rare sight nowadays, especially ones with chain lifts.
  • Firehawk being another strong candidate
Personally, I think the arguments for weigh a little heavier than the arguments against, but I could see it swing both ways. At any rate, I hope there's at least one sit-down looper from 1987 that's in for retirement and replacement soon.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Imagine if they came out like "surprise it's adventure express" or backlot or something haha. I know vortex is rough but firehawk is awful and vortex has a nice picturesque place in the park whereas firehawk is just plonked in a back corner. Vortex will probably go in the next 5 years or so but it's just a case of when. Glad I got both creds this year anyway just in case.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Biggest Cedar Fair prank ever

I think we had that a few weeks ago with the antique cars.

EDIT: Looking at the flowers in the daylight a few of them are brown and black which suggests Vortex....but then firehawk is kind of red and grey so who knows.

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I think we had that a few weeks ago with the antique cars.

EDIT: Looking at the flowers in the daylight a few of them are brown and black which suggests Vortex....but then firehawk is kind of red and grey so who knows.
Vortex is blue and orange and Firehawk is red and yellow...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Vortex is blue and orange and Firehawk is red and yellow...

I was looking at the track colour (hence no yellow) and yeah I guess vortex is more blue but neither really distinguish which one it could be with the flower colours though.

We don't have a specific news release date yet do we, just "next few days"?

EDIT: Seen a couple of people post "friend of a friend spoke to someone" and have said firehawk. Now I know that you have to take these with a pinch of salt but obviously somebody is contracted to do work/change departments etc so there will be a load of people who know at this point down the timeline. Just whether they're telling the truth and are the right people. Food for thought.

Last edited: