What's new

Hansa Park | Highlander | Funtime Gyro Drop Tower

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I've just realized, this will be the world's tallest free-standing drop tower (not built onto another ride/structure), and the 3rd tallest drop tower in general. It will take the crown off Falcon's Fury by 18 metres. To put this into more perspective, it is around twice the height of Dropline at Dollywood.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
It's also more than twice the height of Apocalypse at Drayton and only 10m short of double the height of The Big one.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's also more than twice the height of Apocalypse at Drayton and only 10m short of double the height of The Big one.

F**k me! :eek:
I'm seriously dreading this ride already. Just reading this thread is making my palms go clammy. I didn't even have any plans to revisit the place anytime soon, but when just the mere announcement of a new ride literally makes your blood run cold - you just know you gotta have it!
@Lofty - this actually reminds me of the time I booked my ticket for The Clinic... ;)
Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go for a poo.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Video of the press event.

At the start and at 6:43 you can see them demonstrate the tilting effect with the test seat.

Last edited:

Pear

Strata Poster
I really wonder how much this will sway at the top given the high winds this park faces due to the sea.

Seems Funtime have already built a similar drop tower to this.

jayjay

Giga Poster
What's that? A new ride at Hansa without a cripplingly low capacity? Sign me up!
I really wonder how much this will sway at the top given the high winds this park faces due to the sea.
Looks like their towers all use lattice structures, which will help. I'm sure it won't be a huge issue.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^It will have 24 seats.
Screenshot_20180818-110134_Instagram.jpg

Tulum

Mega Poster
Höhe über N.N. = Höhe über Normalnull. It is an old measurement but it refers basically to the sea-level I think. So as the park is pretty close to the ocean on a small hill, you would guess that it is 149m above sea level.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Höhe über N.N. = Höhe über Normalnull. It is an old measurement but it refers basically to the sea-level I think.
Quite the opposite! Because of tides, and of the irregular shape of the Earth, "sea level" makes for a very finicky baseline. Instead, countries define a fixed "zero level" used to determine all heights. It roughly follows the level and general shape of the sea, but may be several meters above or below.

Also, thread moved to Other Ride Construction.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
This is badass. It will scare the absolute crap out of me but it has to be done, the openness of the restraints is truly terrifying.
Love these things. Hate them too.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^I'd hardly call Gerstlauer OTSRs open.
I was looking at the Funtime Hangover restraints, didn't even spot the chap in the test seat during the announcement.
This will be fine then, those OTSRs make these much easier on the way up.

Lofty

CF Legend
That's fair, I've never rated the tilting drop towers, even Falcon's Fury. It just adds nothing to the actual drop itself, just the perspective view.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
To be honest the only tilt I've done is the puny one on Apocalypse so I'm just blindly hoping a 30 degree one gives a blinding out of body experience. Out of interest are the drop towers with over the shoulder lap bars actually improved much by them?