What's new

IOA: 8th Voyage of Sinbad to Permanently Close

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It appears as if this news has quietly slipped under the radar. The 8th Voyage of Sinbad is set to permanently close on September 15th. It looks as if the show is another of the park's original attractions that is getting removed for future additions. Here's an article with more information:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...rsal-sindbad-show-closing-20180817-story.html

The article doesn't state whether the theater building will remain or get removed. It seems that Wizarding World of Harry Potter has been squeezing The Lost Continent out of the park since the new section opened nearly 10 years ago. I would bet that the park continues to ride Potter's success and completely axes The Lost Continent for another Wizarding World expansion. It was never an exciting part of the park and they never seemed to add anything new over the years either.

39753283_561723074244784_6768393606911754240_n.jpg

I'll admit that I am not the most familiar with the happenings down at Universal Orlando in part by the fact that they have so many simultaneous projects going on at once. Does anybody know more about what's been happening in The Lost Continent over the past few years or have heard any rumors regarding what will take over this space? Anybody want to share a blind guess?

J Rod

Roller Poster
I'd say a Harry Potter expansion is a pretty good guess. Lost Continent has been pretty dead since Hogsmeade took over half of it, so it'd make sense for the rest of it to eventually go too.

On a sentimental side note, if this is true then damn you Universal for scrapping Dueling Dragons and not waiting to build the new coaster after an expansion.

peep

CF Legend
I don't think this is closing for a Potter expansion. After reading through forums since it was announced it sounds like this was more of a budget cut with maybe a replacement further down the pipeline.

The most repeated rumour for a Potter expansion is actually on the plot of the Fear Factor Live theatre in the studio park next to Diagon Alley. The rumour suggests it'll be a ride based on the Ministry of Magic. However for the past few months it sounds like most plans for expansions are changing due to the development of the third theme park going in down the road, with other rumours hinting that park will get a Fantastic Beasts area.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't think this is closing for a Potter expansion. After reading through forums since it was announced it sounds like this was more of a budget cut with maybe a replacement further down the pipeline.

The most repeated rumour for a Potter expansion is actually on the plot of the Fear Factor Live theatre in the studio park next to Diagon Alley. The rumour suggests it'll be a ride based on the Ministry of Magic. However for the past few months it sounds like most plans for expansions are changing due to the development of the third theme park going in down the road, with other rumours hinting that park will get a Fantastic Beasts area.
I thought most rumours for the new park were that the whole thing was going to be a Nintendo themed park?

Matt N

CF Legend
I hope that this is for some sort of new Lost Continent attraction, as I do rather like the premise of the Lost Continent theme, and the area seems to be lacking something major currently besides Poseidon's Fury, in my opinion.

peep

CF Legend
I thought most rumours for the new park were that the whole thing was going to be a Nintendo themed park?

Can't say I've seen that anywhere. A large portion will be Nintendo but with a mix of other large franchises. Sounds like the plans to stick some Nintendo in the Studio park have been scrapped since they put in the planning application (was going to replace KidZone) - sounds like there might be a new plan for that area, I've seen Pokemon mentioned as well as other things.

Lofty

CF Legend
Can't say I've seen that anywhere. A large portion will be Nintendo but with a mix of other large franchises. Sounds like the plans to stick some Nintendo in the Studio park have been scrapped since they put in the planning application (was going to replace KidZone) - sounds like there might be a new plan for that area, I've seen Pokemon mentioned as well as other things.
I've seen/heard it from friends that live in Orlando and have ties with Universal, thought it was on a few forums, too?

peep

CF Legend
I've seen/heard it from friends that live in Orlando and have ties with Universal, thought it was on a few forums, too?

Rumours for Universal change on a constant basis, just been catching up with InsideUniversal forums and the talk is all over the place so once upon a time it might have been mentioned and I missed it. Even the usual insiders don't seem to really know what's happening any more. Interesting if you've heard that from people with ties to Universal but I can't say I believe it.

Some of the latest talk suggests the Nintendo IPs being split across several parks, which would follow their Potter logic of forcing fans to buy multi-day/park tickets. They also have free range with the Dreamwork IPs now and I imagine they'll want to make use of that in the new park.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
As long as they don't get rid of that fountain I'll be happy. I could sit there all day and listen to it talk to people and try to spray them without them realizing what's happening.