What's new

Brake Run Banking

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Final brake runs usually slow you to a complete stop, or leave you with just enough speed to get to some block brakes. However, a strange feature I have noticed on some coasters is that track during or after the final brake run is banked.
Two coasters in particular I have noticed it on; The Hulk's (You can't see it as much in the video but it's very noticeable during the ride, you're at this annoying angle)
And Do-Dodonpa which is noticeable in this TPR video (haven't ridden it but saw it in the video)
(Sorry)
The answer that makes the most sense to me is that they bank track in case the first set of brakes fails. But plenty of coasters have final brakes directly into the station, so do they not have a fail-safe? Or is that not why they bank track?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I believe he means track that has a heavily banked curve after a break run where the train is already moving at a real slow pace. Based off the two coasters he posted POV.
Hulk hits the first block after the hekix and makes a 90-degree left hand turn but the track is heavily banked despite the low rate of speed. And Dodonpa seems to have a whole lot of unnecessary banking as well.

Lofty

CF Legend
The banking on actual break runs, like found on wooden coasters and some B&M coasters is to increase brake efficiency.

In terms of proceeding banking, my guesses are: a) in case of overshoots, b) guest comfort with minimal laterals and c) lower stress on friction wheels.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'd guess that the banked turns are more or less a comfort thing in case something in the brake system fails and the train is traveling faster than anticipated. Another theory could be that brake hardware and/or controls systems have been upgraded and the ride can brake more efficiently, thus the the banking isn't really needed anymore.

Regarding GCIs, I do know that they bank their brake runs with magnetic brakes because they use one rail as a datum. They locate both the magnetic brakes mounted to the track and the steel fins under the train to the rail, and the banking essentially tightens the tolerances a bit and ensures that the fin passes through the same general spot, +/- a few millimeters, instead of having a larger tolerance from the track gauge itself.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hah, I've sometimes wondered this myself. Rougarou and Vortex are two other great examples of overly-banked brake turns.

While I'm sure the turns were very well intentioned for rider comfort, some are very clearly well over-designed.