What's new

Snapping Flyers

Pear

Strata Poster
I was wondering if there was a strategy for snapping flyers. I'll be heading to Knoebels in a few days and since I've heard their flyers are pretty easy to snap I would like to know how to since I've never had the opportunity to do it before.

Thanks!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's hard to explain the technique, and, as cliche as it sounds, you sort of have to 'feel it'.

I'm no expert either, but I think the trick is to time the changes in direction of the car with your movement of the paddle. You've got to really dial in the timing. I've seen @Snoo, @Antinos and @pkiknex25 achieve some pretty impressive snaps, I wonder if they can explain it any better? :p

Intricks

Strata Poster
Its all about timing really. So long as the really old guy who typically runs it isnt there, you can snap away.

As for technique, you just push and pull the sail until you start getting as high as you can. Once that is acheived, you continue doing so, but you push/pull it sooner (Id go roughly with 3/4 before full movement up/down and then finding the rythym there) so the carriage begins to peak before the move is finished. When done right, you will begin to feel more and more lag when youre at the lowest point. Keep doing that and you will eventuqlly get the car to slow enough in comparrison to the ride to make the cable go lax and cause that oh so delicious snap.

Also, a heads up for the rest who wonder in here in regards to snapping Flyers - Kings Dominions Flyers are snappable, and you wont get yelled at for it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully with some practice I'll be able to get them to snap! I'll be at KD later next week as well so I'll try it there too.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
As mentioned, it's all about timing your oscillations correctly. From what I remember, you only hold the wing to direct you outwards for a short time - maybe only a second. As soon as your gondola begins to swing outward and pick up speed, you have to shift the fin to turn you inward and hold the fin there until your gondola slows significantly. You should hold your fin pointing inward for at least five seconds. The progression should go like this:

1. Point fin outward
  2. Gondola gains speed and begin to swing out
  3. Point fin inward
  4. Gondola reaches top speed and begins to turn in
  5. Gondola slows
  6. Snap occurs...point your fin outward just before the snap
  7. Repeat

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Is this an actual thing, or an in-joke arising from some recent Live? Without context, I have literally no idea what's going on in this thread.

Snoo

The Legend
Is this an actual thing, or an in-joke arising from some recent Live? Without context, I have literally no idea what's going on in this thread.

Nope! I will say that we've made it a ritual at every theme park we visit Stateside to ride their flyers and try to snap them. Some parks are limited by how far you can move the fin, causing less snapping.. others, however, are sexy as hell (Seabreeze being one of them). Last year, in fact, a group of us US CFers were able to achieve multiple snaps in a row. We were dying of laughter. :D

Hutch

Strata Poster
I did it for the first time at Knoebels a couple years ago. I was ****ing terrified but it was so much fun. The gondola seems to go so close to the trees you think you're gonna crash. It's a decent length too.

Last edited:

Intricks

Strata Poster
Snapping is fun until you turn around the gondola (I have a few friends that have achieved it)!

Those were some quality snaps though!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
It's pretty easy to get the Larson Flyers at Fun Spot on 192 to turn backwards. I've seen a video of someone doing a complete 360, I've yet to achieve that. Damn.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Had fun doing this at Knoebels a few days ago! They run theirs the fastest/easiest to do it compared to to other places and don't see to mind. The first few times it's a bit hair-raising as it seems like you're going to fly off!

Pear

Strata Poster
I was able to get it quite good at Knoebels to the point where me and my friends were almost kicked out of the park for snapping too hard lol