What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

James F

Hyper Poster
I would love to see a compact gravity group woodie there, something like mineblower or twister.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

rob666

Hyper Poster
Yup, needless half hour queues...queue runs very slow on one, boring as hell for the punters and staff.
Typical Beach operations on a quiet day.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It probably is a wheel change, although I doubt they'd change from polyurethane to nylon. And why would they need to do a wheel change when the ride hasn't even been open a month?

Lofty

CF Legend
More than likely just tweaking and tinkering of the wheel assembly (tightening etc.) as opposed to change of material.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
Icon most certainly is not rough. It has the "Mack Rattle" associated with coasters like Helix and Blue Fire but it honestly isn't rough.

I have ridden Icon around 50 times now in every single seat including numerous rides at the back and it is insanely re-rideable. The Intamin trains on Taron vibrate with much more ferocity than any Mack Multilaunch and that coaster is held up as one of the best out there. After numerous rides on Taron it started to give me a headache (despite being my favourite coaster). I have never had this on Icon.

It is a marmite coaster at the moment with some enthusiasts calling it the best in the UK and others saying they don't rate it at all. I think personally that it is up there with the best. It's well paced, looks stunning, has moments of unexpected force (even more forceful than Helix) and more importantly it is FUN which a lot of coasters lack. Also, as with all the coasters at Pleasure Beach it is STUNNING to ride at night. It takes on a completely new atmosphere and presence. I was lucky enough to ride it just before 10pm and it was immensely enjoyable.

The problem with Icon is that people have either 1) judged it before they have ridden it and have therefore made their mind up before even stepping on the park or 2) ridden it with such high expectations that anything less than perfect means it is a "disappointing coaster" etc. If people regarded it as a fun family-friendly coaster with sections of awesome intensity and good pacing rather than a Helix/Taron crossover then they might enjoy and appreciate it more. It was never going to be the best coaster in the world but it's certainly the best in the UK (with exception from maybe Nemesis).

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Oh god. I'm visiting for the first time in August, and Infusion will be my first ever SLC, so part of me is mentally preparing myself for what could very well be my least favourite coaster. However, I'm also holding out that it might not be as awful as everyone says SLCs are.
Given that you currently rate Colossus as the roughest coaster you've been on, you're in for a world of pain when you go to Blackpool! ;)

Icon most certainly is not rough. It has the "Mack Rattle" associated with coasters like Helix and Blue Fire but it honestly isn't rough.
Pretty sure nobody is saying it's rough, and those complaining about any rattle are just being incredibly picky.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Given that you currently rate Colossus as the roughest coaster you've been on, you're in for a world of pain when you go to Blackpool! ;)

Pretty sure nobody is saying it's rough, and those complaining about any rattle are just being incredibly picky.
No, we are speaking truth (and fact).

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
It'll certainly be interesting! Looking forward to it, though; never visited a proper historical amusement park before!

witchfinder said:
I'm pretty confident I'll find Icon quite smooth, as The Swarm and Mako have both been described as having rattles in the past, and they are two of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. I didn't feel a single jolt or rattle on those rides.

lachlan

Mega Poster
It'll certainly be interesting! Looking forward to it, though; never visited a proper historical amusement park before!

I'm pretty confident I'll find Icon quite smooth, as The Swarm and Mako have both been described as having rattles in the past, and they are two of the smoothest coasters I've ever ridden. I didn't feel a single jolt or rattle on those rides.
Icon is not rough. Personally I found the seats very comfy, enough that I was not distracted at all from the ride.

Ride Grand National and everything else will feel smooth as glass :)