What's new

Improvements for Each Coaster in Your Top Ten

Hutch

Strata Poster
Take a look at your top ten (or some of your favorites, if you don't have a definite list), go through each coaster and think of improvements/modifications you wish the ride had to make it even better.

Here's what I think for my Top Ten.

1. Skyrush - Better restraint system to remove the airtime pain and squeeze in an extra bunny hill before the brakes.
2. Beast - Remove the trim brakes and replace that long straight section with some hills.
3. Millennium Force - Add an extra bunny hill right before the last overbank turn, exactly like the hill next to the station (the straight section next to the queue is the right spot to put that in).
4. Nemesis - Honestly I wouldn't change a thing. I enjoyed every element, some of which are incredible, and I'm satisfied with the pacing, length, theming, and interaction. Based on the rides I got, I have no doubt in saying that this coaster is perfect.
5. Maverick - Get rid of the trim after the second launch, even if it means slightly slowing down the launch itself. And even though I don't mind the restraints, why not replace them with lap bars or Taron style trains?
6. Mako - I love the layout of this, it doesn't really need a change. Can't really think of anything I'd prefer over what it is now.
7. Phoenix - Another tricky one. The turnarounds are the weak parts as they don't really do anything, but I can't think really think of anything different that could've been there.
8. Top Thrill Dragster - It's too short a ride. An extra hill that gives great airtime (more like Stealth's, not Kingda Ka's) or some extra turn like Xcelerator would be nice.
9. Storm Chaser - Remove shin restraints. I rode it with the old/slow wheels so maybe if I ride it now I could be wowed by it.
10. Wicked Cyclone - Remove shin restraints. But more importantly find a way to improve the pacing, perhaps using the wheels that Storm Chaser uses.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Nice idea for a topic, let's see what I'd do to mine.

I'll preface it by saying that it does feel really picky to be suggesting these changes - many of these coasters are really, really good!

1. Lightning Rod - Dollywood: For this one I'd probably just want to improve the reliability. They seem to be getting on much better this season (or so I've heard), but it's still not running that well. The coaster itself is pretty much spot on. I'd probably add more quad-downs, because they're the best things ever, but that would be a bit silly really.

2. Taron - Phantasialand: I'd like to see a few more airtime hills. It has a good amount of airtime, particularly in some of the transitions, but only has a small number of 'proper' airtime hills. Would be nice to add a few more in there, although I'm not offering any ideas on where!

3. Fury 325 - Carowinds: Similar to the above, really. I love the first half of Fury, but it'd be great if it had a couple more 'proper' airtime hills. Maybe one huge one at the start, and a couple more at the end.

4. Dinoconda - China Dinosaurs Park: It's rough as hell. Not asking for the intensity to be removed, just the brutality.

5. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce: I'd like to see a bit more of the 'weaving through the trees' bit. I do like the return stretch, but it's not as good as the outward leg.

6. Skyrush - Hersheypark: It'd be great if the restraints weren't ****ing awful.

7. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain: Probably the same as Dinoconda, above.

8. Voyage - Holiday World: You know, I'd probably try to shorten it a bit. I find that around the bit where it crosses the lift hill for the final time is just about where I've had enough. There's a lot of shaking and rattling, and after all that time I find myself a bit worn out! Keep all the rest the same, but maybe just head straight to the brakes instead of the final few corners.

9. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point: This is the one I'd probably change as little as possible on. Maybe add a speed hill like Kingda Ka? Leave the trains, the launch and the top hat alone, they're all great.

10. Montu - Busch Gardens Africa: Been a very long time since I rode this, but I think I'd probably like to see a bit more theming on the distant parts of the coaster. The area around the station and Immelmann are great, but I think it would be cool if there was some more interactions around the zero-g and batwing (that tunnel, however good it is, doesn't count as theming just because it's sandy coloured).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Voyage: A nice retrack and lifting the MCBR would be nice. Note that I only rode this during the day in 2015, so I still need to get my ass to Holiwood Nights.

Goliath: While some people would want to make it longer, I wouldn't want to sacrifice this ride's stellar pacing for a few more elements that could potentially be very weak. Instead, I think some grass and extra theming could do this ride better.

Skyrush: I personally had no problem with the restraints, so I guess a slightly longer layout?

Maverick: I rode this before the updated restraints, so that's already covered. And they're also upgrading the tunnel, so there's that covered. Not really sure what else to adjust, to be honest.

Viper: Retrack and some reprofiling on some of the hills for even more airtime

Outlaw Run: Improve the damn pacing at the end!

Thunderhead: Tbh I think just a retrack would do this ride well

TTD: I think @Hixee summed it up perfectly there. It's a really solid ride already

Lightning Run: The dispatches could be better, as well as the general look of the area. Otherwise, stellar ride.

Thunderbird: This could do well with some more variety in the elements, and maybe some slightly more theming

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Boulder Dash - There's really not much that I'd change. There's roughness, but it's not too rough and doesn't really affect the ride. I actually like the roughness in most areas because it makes it more intense. The base of the drop could use some retracking though. If anything I would want a steeper drop to have a better start to the ride.

Maverick - Get lap bars and get rid of the trim after the launch. Also, if the heartline roll could be revised to bring it back that would be awesome.

Skyrush - I would love some better restraints and a bit longer layout.

Superman The Ride - Better restraints and a bit smoother would make it so much better.

Wicked Cyclone - The second half of the ride is a bit weak. Fix the pacing at the end and get rid of the Double Reverse Banked Airtime Hill, it's honestly just uncomfortable and awkward.

El Toro - Please make this smoother and get better seats. The combo of roughness and hard plastic seats make it painful. I also wish it didn't die after the Rolling Thunder Hill.

Boardwalk Bullet - The ride itself is perfect for the footprint and the park. If anything some theming elements throughout the ride would be awesome.

Time Traveler - I would love if they got rid of the brakes before the first launch (and slightly stronger launches), as it really hurts the pacing. Other than that, a couple more airtime hills would be awesome, but Time Traveler is almost perfect for what it is.

Outlaw Run - Get rid of the roughness. Make the first inversion into a stall for some better hangtime. And add a couple more elements, it feels like it's missing something.

Storm Runner - A slightly longer ride and lap bars would be awesome. The span of the ride is incredible and very well paced.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. Lightning Rod- Reliability as mentioned. And a stall. Every coaster needs a ****ing stall.
2. Outlaw Run- Last summer it wasnt rough, just brutal. See above. Stall this bitch.
3. Storm Chaser- Stall the mother ****er
4. X2- Butter those rails and make this bitch smooth
5. Maverick- Not be as far away from me
6. Joker (SFDK)- It missed something. Out of control feeling? Give me Storm Chaser series of hills.
7. Twisted Colossus- Have first lap do another round and then roll into lift, it's two halves of a ride.
8. Iron Rattler- First middle section needs spruced. And stall off the quarry
9. Voyage- See X2
10. New Texas Giant- Stalling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
Holy Moly what a good thread idea. I can't even remember my top ten it's been that long. I'll try and add a bit more than MAKE THEM LONGER.

Balder - MAKE IT LONGER. Seriously though, it's just perfect for me. Great first drop that builds nicely, then a few surprising hills thrown in with tunnels for added effect. Perfect pacing, lots and lots of hills. Maybe add a bit more banking on the transitions but honestly, I can't really think how to improve it.

Helix - Add at least one more mental airtime hill somewhere, and remove the last inversion for a little bunny hop instead.

Taron - I'd chuck in at least one Helix style airtime hill, and take out the snappy transition into the brake run at the end of the ride to something a bit more gentle

Shambhala - More hills after the MCBR and one more speed hill.

Blue Fire - I'd completely change the first two elements after the launch so the loop is first and then it's the giant floaty overbank. Also add in a crazy Helix hill before the MCBR.

Silver Star - Less trim. Speed hill. Maybe a bit more windy turns at the end.

Nemesis - Give me another zero-g before the end pls

Black Mamba - Chuck in another corkscrew towards the end of the ride

Dragon Khan - Reprofile the bloody thing before it shakes itself apart.

Smiler - Reprofile that bloody cobra roll thingy.

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Lightning Rod: I think the layout is nearly perfect. It ends exactly when it should, right after the best part of the ride. However, as others have said, it needs improvement in the reliability department.
  2. X2: I think this one could use a bit more length, and the roughness was a bit much at one point. But I wouldn't change that roughness cause it's part of why I love it so much!
  3. Skyrush: Though the restraints didn't bother me as much as some people, they are certainly the ride's biggest con (and in an odd way its biggest pro). They usually released the restraint right when I got on the brake run, but those times when they waited... pure pain.
  4. El Toro: This could use one more hill and some track work. It's notably rougher than in 2012, but, yet again, I like coasters rough.
  5. Boulder Dash: The trains oddly enough I really dislike. I'm tall, so my legs kept hitting the front of it, and it made the ride less enjoyable. It could also really use some track work for the first drop and turn. It was painful last year.
  6. Voyage: The roughness could really be dialed down here; it's brutal after a while.
  7. Outlaw Run: Add another airtime moment and perhaps replace one of the barrel rolls. They were unique in 2013, but I think they drag the ride down now.
  8. Fury 325: I would add a bit more airtime to the beginning and improve the airtime at the end. The speed and forces are nearly perfect already though.
  9. Storm Chaser: I have not ridden this with the new wheels, but it was running decently fast the day I went. I think I may knock down the pure violence of it a bit; it's bordering on too much.
  10. Kumba: A lot could be improved on this one, as it's the oldest on this list. However, for what it is, it gets its job down very well. However, a more unique and longer layout would certainly help it. However, it is the OG, so it was extremely unique when it first came out. (3 howevers in a row and completely unintentional. I need sleep.)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Lightning Rod - Fix the bump at the bottom of the first drop and put the launch fins back that they removed. I wouldn't say no to a stall either in place of the wave or a smaller stall over the drop's track before the quad.
2 - Skyrush - The restraints are the only thing I would change, to Taron style.
3 - El Toro - The turnaround had a nasty jolt and the return hills from the turnaround to the RT hill could do with being a few feet lower to add a bit more ejector imo.
4 - Taron - Remove the trims, extend the final turn and turn the final transition into a hill into the brakes.
5 - Helix - Tweak launches to be a bit quicker and re-do the final inversion to slope downwards.
6 - Goliath - Tough one this, I think it's perfect as it is. Extending would change it too much. Maybe remove the shin guards?
7 - Fury 325 - The helix slows things down a bit really, tighter with higher G's and powering into the airtime hill would be better. Also 1 extra hill instead of the stupidly long brake run.
8 - Wildfire - Remove the roll over the hill and leave as a drop/airtime hill. This alone could fix the pacing issues at the end.
9 - Renegade - Haven't ridden it enough to find a fault tbh. Maybe increase minimum height to 1.6M to spite the kids and reduce the queue.
10 - Wicked Cyclone - Could do with being about 10ft taller, just to add a bit of speed to the end. Stall would be nice too, but not instead of the zero G, it's glorious.

Lofty

CF Legend
Taron - One or two more airtime hills in the first half.
Storm Chaser - Change the banking on the final few turns to coincide with the increased speed.
Goliath (SFGAm) - Increase the layout after the final turnaround.
Millennium Force - Get rid of the straight section just before the final overbank and add another airtime hill.
Helix - Make the launches punchier, re-profile the s curves (later section) to become S hills and remove the final inversion.
Voyage - Get rid of the MCBR completely and make the back seat, good?
Maverick - Reinstate the effects in the tunnel (yay this is happening) and change the station to make it less ****ing chaotic.
Hades 360 - Provide neck braces.
Leviathan - Add another curve and couple of airtime hills to make it a little longer.
Balder - Add more of the 'here goes my head' tunnels.

EndlessWire

Mega Poster
Oh, I like this idea VERY much!

1. Shambhala:
Make the scenery around it more dramatic, so it feels like it's interacting with things a little more. Hard to improve this one, really.

2. Big One:
Smooth the ride out, perhaps new trains and shorten some hills to give a little airtime, just to stop people moaning about it. :p Also, maybe increase the height of the structure so it's actually 235ft tall.

3. Colossos (Heide):
Put it back together again.

4. Grand National:
Millennium Flyers. Next!

5. The Swarm:
Not much I'd change here other than making Swarm Island a little less empty-looking. If I had to change something about the ride, I'd maybe extend it beyond the barrel roll and pop in some tight helices with near miss fun bits, or I'd put a proper roof on the station.

6. Wodan:
Shorten the second hill to give a pop of ejector airtime and have a few airtime hills as a finale.

7. Blue Fire:
Increase the launch speed to make it a tad more intense.

8. Red Force:
Increase height by at least 89ft and launch speed to it can reach the new height (because of course I would). In seriousness, add some low-to-the-ground high speed turns, or at the very least extend the brake run so the brakes don't kill the speed quite so quickly.

9. Smiler:
Reprofile the cobra/batwing (whatever it is) in the second half.

10. Oblivion:
Again, hard to improve, but adding an airtime hill on the way out of the hole before a turnaround would be fun. I like its non-inverting character.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Interesting idea!

Wicked Cyclone: Well, when I rode it, nothing. Was a perfect coaster, tons of air all ejector, great layout and pace, no wasted moment, smooth and was just at just the right level to avoid leg strain, which I got on Storm Chaser. I have heard from many its gone downhill, losing pacing and getting rough-ish even. Not sure what could be done, retrack?

MForce: Hmmmmm, pretty much the whole track is used up, even if people don't love it, there's really no spot of the layout that does nothing and there's not really space to expand the ride unless they get real creative. I guess OP has a good idea, put in one last bunny hop, thats about it.

Storm Chaser: Nothing really. After some rides it was a bit much on the legs, but I certainly wouldn't want the intensity taken down.

Skyrush: Make it longer, but there's no space for that realistically. Restraints dont bother me, so moving on.

Voyage: Take out the MCBR. Make the ride smoother. With the ridiculous speed and intensity w/o it if it was smooth that would be beyond words.
I305: OK this one I've thought about actually. Remove the trims from the 3rd hill. I understand this was put in so the remainder wouldn't be brain meltingly jarring so I'd make a long, smoother S turn with less abrupt transition.
Phoenix: Nothing
El Toro: Longer OR add more hills to it. Epic as it is I always thought it needed more air.
Maverick: Put the roll back in :p
(I like the idea of slower launch but remove the trims)
Boulder Dash: Nothing really. My ride on it was a tad lackluster, but it was a cool day (like under 60) and drizzly. Not great conditions. If I am up there again I would deff go on a better day.

Bedholm

Roller Poster
1. Expedition GeForce The rode itself is perfect, but better operations would help.
2. El Toro Improve the turn around
3. Voyage Smoother but don't make it slower in order to do that i rather keep it rough if that means the intensity stays the same.
4. Skyrush Better restraints
5. Taron Really close to perfection not sure what to add.
6. Phoenix Perfect as is
7. Lightning Rod Fix the pothole on the 1st drop.
8. X2 Fire and audio need to be more consistent
9. Piraten perfect
10. Maverick Replace the horseshoe roll with something that is either ore intense or offers airtime.

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Steel Vengeance: Um, I don't know. I think it's the new ideal, and I just don't wanna ruin the ride's perfect flow. Each element transitions perfectly into the next.
  2. Lightning Rod: I think the layout is nearly perfect. I'd say that it could use a stall instead of the off axis hill. Still, it kills everything it tries to do.
  3. X2: I think this one could use a bit more length, maybe just one more element and also that flip from Eejanaika on the first inversion. The roughness was a bit much at one point, but that roughness cause it's part of why I love it so much!
  4. Skyrush: Though the restraints didn't bother me as much as some people, they are certainly the ride's biggest con... and in an odd way its biggest pro. The freedom provided makes those transitions insanity. I'd still change the restraints and add maybe an extra hill.
  5. El Toro: This could use one more hill and some track work. It's notably rougher than in 2012, but, yet again, I like coasters rough.
  6. Outlaw Run: Just get rid of the barrel rolls. Though they were a very cool experience in 2013, but the hangtime just isn't anythign compared to more airtime or a stall.
  7. Voyage: The roughness could really be dialed down here; it's brutal after a while. While it couldn't happen, something with similar padding to a Millennium Flyer would make rerides a much better experience
  8. Maverick: That inversion they had would be amazing. I think if it had that element could help the ending feel all the more insane.
  9. Fury 325: I would add a bit more airtime in the beginning and improve the airtime at the end. The speed and forces are nearly perfect already though.
  10. Boulder Dash: Put back the triple up. The retrack hills are weak and replace the original ride highlight. Boo.

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
1. Steel Vengeance – Love it the way it is. I even like the trim! The lift hill is pretty noisy, though.
2. Maverick – Do something about the trim after the tunnel launch. It kills momentum.
3. Boulder Dash – Have the turnaround banked.
4. Intimidator 305 – Fix the first turn to get rid of the gray-outs, which didn’t bother me a lot in previous years, but were really bad this year. Also, do something about the trim… it’s a real buzz kill.
5. Fury 325 – Add some quick twists and turns like on I-305.
6. Millenium Force - It needs a few more airtime hills like the one by the loading station.
7. El Toro – Reduce the shakiness on my favorite part - the banked turns at the end.
8. Superman the Ride – The second half of the ride is great. The first half is almost too smooth. It needs some Maverick-like elements.
9. Skyrush –Get RMC to do your restraints. And the ride’s too short.
10. Outlaw Run – Add some track to make it last longer.

Hutch

Strata Poster
5. Fury 325 – Add some quick twists and turns like on I-305.
Except it does that already? They're probably not as extreme as I305's (haven't done that, so don't know), but the first half of Fury is filled with those speedy banking transitions and they have some pretty fun floater.

RestlessRider

Roller Poster
Except it does that already? They're probably not as extreme as I305's (haven't done that, so don't know), but the first half of Fury is filled with those speedy banking transitions and they have some pretty fun floater.
Ride I-305, and I think you'll see what I mean:) The turns on Fury 325 are really good, but just not as intense as the ones on I-305.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
How have I not done this???

Steel Vengeance- Make the higher up segment do something a bit more interesting, such as an outward snap instead of riding up on the bank.

Lightning Rod- After the non-inverting half loop, drop it all the way to the ground and send it up that employee road and back a bit, maybe incorporating Chaser’s trick track double up.

Iron Rattler- Swap the Gerst trains for full blood RMC trains and make the old carousel portion even nuttier, maybe use this to do something a bit more interesting in the tunnel.

Skyrush- Turn those two boring turns at the end of the figure 8 into overbank, more intense finale.

Wicked Cyclone- Swap the wheels or pick elements so that it doesn’t crawl into the brakes without any momentum like it does currently.

Outlaw Run- More violent turn design, similar to what I said about Skyrush.

Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster- Timberliner-style side bar instead of the OTSR it has, more airtime and less positives

Twisted Cyclone- Lower the first turn around so it flies through there faster, turn the second (or both) overbank into a breaking wave turn a la Steel Vengeance.

Storm Chaser- Better prelift, more violent in the turn between the off axis hills, more tossing in the Helix, keep the fast wheels on

Boardwalk Bullet- Stronger airtime magnitude, work some double downs into some of those wider turns, swap the trains for Timberliners