What's new

Coasters That Go Backward

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
How would you say you feel about coasters that go backward, either for the entire ride or for a portion of the ride?

A. Backward movement is more intense! It’s even better than a coaster that goes forward.

B. It’s OK, but not much different than going forward, really, so I’m indifferent.

C. I love variety on a coaster so I love the change of direction for that reason.

D. It’s fine but not as enjoyable as going forward. It rarely rises above the level of feeling like a gimmick.

E. I find it disorienting and unpleasant. Not a fan.

Personally, I’m usually a D. on this. Maybe with a touch of B.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I love a little bit of backwards stuff. Pair the unusual sensations with the inability to anticipate movements and you've got some great fun!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Probably a C, if it's done well, for example;
Thirteen's backwards section is good, as is Firechaser Express'.
But I can't stand standard Boomerang backwards sections, because they all suck.

Snoo

The Legend
Probably a C, if it's done well, for example;
Thirteen's backwards section is good, as is Firechaser Express'.
But I can't stand standard Boomerang backwards sections, because they all suck.

This guy. If its good, its good, but any boomerang model can take it up the tailpipe IMO.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah I dig a bit of backward action.
Backward coasters, coasters with backward sections, coasters with forward and backward facing seats, forward coasters that have had their seats turned round, spinners, 4D's, shuttle loops. All good.
So C.

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'd say it's great when going backwards makes sense, or fits in with a narrative. Thirteen and Expedition Everest are good examples of this in my opinion. But rides that are backwards for the sake of it eg. X at Thorpe and Indiana Jones at DLP (2000-2004) are pretty terrible tbh. I think the surprise of suddenly going backwards is what makes it exciting.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I really wasn’t keen when Thorpe did ‘brave it backwards’ on Swarm. Bizarre and pointless exercise.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Often come off Revolution feeling a bit dizzy, but no problems on thirteen or spinball, so D.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Probably C or D. They can be fun and interesting if done right. Mummy's brief backwards portion is nice and Swarm's backwards seats were very weird. But for the most part I don't particularly care for it as much. When it comes to boomerangs, the models aren't great to begin with so going backwards won't exactly help.

In general I would probably say C because usually it's good fun as long as it's not on a super intense coaster. For instance, Swarm backwards was a hoot, as was sitting backwards on Thunderation. Thirteen and Firechaser Express are two other examples of backwards sections done right!

Batman backwards can actually go die. I felt so sick after.

Peet

Giga Poster
Good topic. I'm a D, I agree it can be a good part of a ride like Thirteen, Full Throttle, Capitol Bullet or any shuttle or spinner, but when it's the whole ride it is always more enjoyable to go forwards. The Swarm backwards was not enjoyable at all. X: NWO and Indiana Jones are better forwards. I'm looking forward to trying Tornado at Legendia both ways (I never got on it at American Adventure) but I'm almost certain it will be better forwards.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I tend to enjoy backwards sections. I loved Viper and Batman backwards, and enjoyed the pre-built backwards sections on the rides I've done. Not a make-or-break deal for any ride, but I'd prefer a forwards ride over a backwards one any day.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
The coasters with backward sections I have ridden so far were Euromir and Raik.
On the first on I thought my neck is going to snap any moment in the 4G curve backwards, the latter one just made me feel sick (what usually never happens on coasters).
Backwards is just not for me. E.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
C For me! Much like everyone else I like the backwards sections on Everest and Th13teen. I dislike boomerangs but find that the junior boomerangs make me feel more unwell than the larger boomerangs, no idea as to why!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
C with a little bit of B. I enjoy it when it's used but it isn't much more than a gimmick. Can liven up otherwise tame coasters though.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Vekoma GIB at Parque Warner was just intense and disorientating backwards, not thrilling at all. The Revolution at BPB is good if you tell your noob partner that you get off after the forward bit. They usually believe you and freak out when it backward launches.

Will

Strata Poster
I'd go with D - mostly it's just an annoyance and a nauseating one at that - but it's more forgiveable with a shuttle coaster and things like Psyke Underground pack a real punch.