What's new

Thorpe Park retheming X to The Walking Dead

Ben

CF Legend
All he’s done is say the IP is good and she’s accused him of starting drama?

Like, how dare you say something is decent?! It’s at a Merlin park it must be terrible you must be starting drama!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
For the record, in the sneak peek of the park map released on Friday, you can see that the ride doesn't have the 'contains live actors' sumbol next to it. Ghost Train and the mazes do.

So, in terms of actors and staffing, it seems like there's no actrs for the experience and will only have the minimum staff required, like X did.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
All he’s done is say the IP is good and she’s accused him of starting drama?

Like, how dare you say something is decent?! It’s at a Merlin park it must be terrible you must be starting drama!

Sue was clearly referring to the fact that Bert2thespark posted a lighthearted joke and Lofty chastised them for it?

Lofty

CF Legend
I didn't chastise them? Literally didn't get the point of the joke - Bad Idea - The Ride was what I was commenting on so......

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
You were unnecessarily mean/sarcastic about it though Mark, there was no need. It gives off an air of hostility. You’re a staff member of the site, please don’t let this place turn into TPR.

Lofty

CF Legend
This is becoming an absolute joke now.

Literally posted stating my opinion and tried to actually uplift what would've been an absolute outright putdown with a tongue-in-cheek remark at the end of a sentence and everyone becomes a ****ing humanitarian. I'm done.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Enough of this. We're all better than these childish remarks. Get over it ffs.

The thing is happening, no way to change it. Your opinion on it, that's up to you. If someone disagrees, who gives a ****? Back on topic now, please.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
While I think it is a shame for the park's line up to lose a family coaster. If this is anything like Van Helsing's at Movie Park then it could be really great. The fact there's no actors makes me think there could be some really good effects and animatronics. Don't know anything about the Walking Dead, but I'm really looking forward to this (well and visiting Thorpe Park in general for the first time ever this year).

Sandman

Giga Poster
I understand the sentiment that they are losing a "family coaster" but to be fair, it's a pretty **** family coaster that hasn't exactly drawn in a crowd. If any coaster at Thorpe needs some loving, it's definitely X. That said, hopefully further down the line we'll see some family orientated investments.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Whenever I used to walk down the ominous, dark corridors to ride X://NWO (before the X days of pounding dance music) I found myself thinking "this area would make a great scare maze." I'm SO glad Thorpe are utilising this area for a horror attraction, as it's always seemed like a good fit to me. Especially when you consider the original X://NWO theme was pretty creepy to begin with. I don't really see it as losing a family ride, more improving an old ride that has always had spooky potential. Can't wait to see the effects inside!

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Right, I started this debate and I'm gonna finish it with my honest opinion.

Personally I am a bit annoyed at the retheme, But that's down to my personal opinion because I enjoyed X, it was unique for what it was and it served as a highlight attraction for family thrills (even though it's not Thorpe's main audience).

But honestly TWD:TR honestly looks well themed and could bring a quite different ride experience to the UK which I think will be a huge hit with the general public and X was just lights and sound on a Vekoma indoor coaster. It seems on the map that there isn't going to be any actors which implies Merlin have learnt from past attractions and hopefully we'll see some good animatronics combined with screens and effects.

I don't want anyone think that I hate Thorpe Park (Because I love it) and I just want to clear that up as well.

TL;DR I think it'll be good but I'm annoyed they got rid of X when it had a refurb last summer.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Because two or three people are intent on playing devil's advocate.

Having said that, I can't deny the outside looks a fair bit better than it did before (although there's now more nasty cage-type fences a la Saw's queue line) and we don't actually have an honest review from anyone that's been on it yet.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Trying to think, are there many indoor rides that have had retrofitted themes? I want a comparison, but can only muster Raptor Attack so far (retrofit was more queue than ride)

Will

Strata Poster
^
Chessington did four years back ;)

(Well, I use the term 'nothing' loosely, but where there used to be stuff, there is less stuff now)

bla8989

Roller Poster
Because when your sending millions of pounds on a ride that already exists, What else would you spend it on?

You can't spend money marketing it as a a new ride if there's nothing 'new' about it.
Have they said how much it has cost yet? From the very few pictures it looks quite basic theming. They could easily just give it a bit of paint, grudge up the walls and it would count as a new ride.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
From the very few pictures it looks quite basic theming. They could easily just give it a bit of paint, grudge up the walls and it would count as a new ride.
Do you want me to hold you to that? I'll think you'll be suprised, because from what I've seen with some of the teasers it looks well themed. It actually looks like some sort of abandoned factory.

The theming from this trailer doesn't look like much at first but then you remember X's queue of blank black walls.

Last edited: