What's new

WTF Merlin?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I hope they turn what was once the single rider queue of The Smiler into a front row queue (unless it already has got one and I've just forgotten). It seems to be one of the only coasters in the park that doesn't currently have one, even Wicker Man has one.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Thirteen and RITA are the only ones I can think that have a front row queue. From memory Thirteens one was hardly ever used as you had to request it directly.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
Oh yeah, Nemesis has the separate walkway doesn't it? Ignore me then. Galactica now only has the main queue and fast track. No front row or SRQ.

I was thinking earlier today: Merlin Making Magic are the only department of Merlin which seems to be going above and beyond. They've created some amazing rides in the last few years (Gruffalo, DBGT, Wickerman and Tiger Rock. Also Oblivion: TBH at Gardaland and SWARM before that)

I'd hate to be them, spending years designing a great ride for it to be handed over to be badly operated for just a few hours a day.

Ben

CF Legend
^ MMM has got some really talented people in it - they just seem to be throttled by budget as much as the rest of the chain.

If they had the money and reign to do what they want we'd get some obscene stuff - what they do now can't really be described as much better than 'OK to good'.

The luggage store thing is total bollocks - it's so good for capacity to have them and now it'll slow everything down.

ATI - have you been on Wickerman because a few people I've asked about it having a front row queue have said it doesn't have one?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
A few people I have asked about it having a front row queue have said it does have one. Don't worry, I will be riding it in a couple of weeks so I can see for sure.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Have Merlin outsourced their customer service feedback overseas?

Just that the replies I've been getting are in poorly-worded English and have been sent at roughly 4am time.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Have Merlin outsourced their customer service feedback overseas?

Just that the replies I've been getting are in poorly-worded English and have been sent at roughly 4am time.

They do have a location in India (Madame Tussaud's in Delhi), so presumably some of the corporation has some operations there. Might be cheaper to put all the customer service functions in the India office.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
A few thoughts on the recent cuts...

Loosing baggage holds is a shame. Merlin are the only company in the world who had baggage holds like that, and they work so well. And their inclusion in the actual design layout means they come not from parks retroactively making additions, but planned, forethought and consideration from designers... I moan a lot about lacking forethought in the design process, so I should take a moment to celebrate how great of an idea and how well they actually worked. But on the flip side, they’re not necessary. And if cuts need to be made, they’re a logical removal, as across the park you’ve cutting 2 staff members from every major coaster. And they can and may return one day, when a manager realises the hourly throughputs are nightmarish and guest services report higher complaints about queue times and round and round we go, flip flopping between short term goals. But I’m in favour of their removal, I guess in a weird way, because it’s a sensible choice if cuts need to be made?

Like someone else mentioned a few posts ago, the main problem is short term profits and not long term sustainability. This is a human problem, not a Merlin problem, but it is weird. Everything feels like a quick neutering to regain lost funds from last season, rather than improvements to make profits higher next season, ya know? And as also mentioned by someone else, they’re not loosing money, they’re just not making forecasts. With shareholders and the like to please, they panic and do anything they can to recoup, then seem shocked when profits continue to plummet. Oh no we’re not making enough money, quick, make the product worse! OH CRAP NOW NO ONES COMING WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THAT??

I’m not going to pretend I could do a better job at running the company, because let’s face it, if I attempted it there would just be other, worse, gaping, fundamental issues... But that doesn’t mean they’re doing a good job.

I don’t have an issue at all with reduced open days, but I do take issue with reduced hours. It’s weird that UK parks were open every single day in the past. Why be open for 4 annual pass holders who brought their own lunch with them? It’s stupid. But reduced hours on the days they are open ruin the product. On a 4pm close, you couldn’t do everything at Alton Towers. You couldn’t have the full experience. What I wonder though is why they continue to insist on opening at 10... why not run 11-6? God even 12-7. No one wants to come in the bloody morning. Attendance must peak at 2pmish, surely? But go to American parks, open all summer till 10pm, and regular day guests turn up en mass just for the evening.

They cost too much for too little experience and if they keep this up, it’ll be too late to fix it. Might already be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster
But if they increase the opening hours people won't be incentivised to stay over at the resort in all those hotel rooms Merlin insists is the future of the brand

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ I’m sure they would?

For example, what is the point in staying at the Alton Towers resort when everything closes at 5pm? Park is closed. Water Park is closed. Golf is closed.

I mean they could, at the minimum, keep the golf course open until say 9ish. That way people who have spent the day at the park would have something else to do. Keep the indoor water park open until 8/9 too. Sure close the outdoor section, but the indoor section could remain open to hotel guests.

If either of these options were available, I would really consider booking the hotel, but honestly, there’s nothing to do in the hotels after the park has closed. Which is the time that people would actually be at the hotel.

Dar

Hyper Poster
^ I’m sure they would?

For example, what is the point in staying at the Alton Towers resort when everything closes at 5pm? Park is closed. Water Park is closed. Golf is closed.

I mean they could, at the minimum, keep the golf course open until say 9ish. That way people who have spent the day at the park would have something else to do. Keep the indoor water park open until 8/9 too. Sure close the outdoor section, but the indoor section could remain open to hotel guests.

If either of these options were available, I would really consider booking the hotel, but honestly, there’s nothing to do in the hotels after the park has closed. Which is the time that people would actually be at the hotel.

I was thinking more along the lines of what @Joey said: there isn't enough time to get everything done in one day. So, instead of expanding the offering like European parks, they artificially restrict the offering so you have to go for multiple days if you want to get everything done.

But, as you've pointed out, there's virtually nothing for you to do after the park closes.
  • The treetop course has been mothballed after just 2 seasons.
  • The waterpark is open for one hour after park close, barely long enough to get back, get changed and get in before you have to get back out again (assuming you didn't dare to get in a queue that takes longer than park close).
  • The spa is the same (and, apparently, a massive disappointment now).
  • To be fair, the golf is open until 8:30pm, but that's basically a one and done thing
So after 7pm, you've got diddly squat open that isn't the "arcade" in splash (assuming splash is open that day), or the band on the pirate ship. Compared to Phantasialand, where the Ling Bao pool is open until 10pm (no slides but included in the rate), along with the spa as well.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I was thinking more along the lines of what @Joey said: there isn't enough time to get everything done in one day. So, instead of expanding the offering like European parks, they artificially restrict the offering so you have to go for multiple days if you want to get everything done.

But, as you've pointed out, there's virtually nothing for you to do after the park closes.
  • The treetop course has been mothballed after just 2 seasons.
  • The waterpark is open for one hour after park close, barely long enough to get back, get changed and get in before you have to get back out again (assuming you didn't dare to get in a queue that takes longer than park close).
  • The spa is the same (and, apparently, a massive disappointment now).
  • To be fair, the golf is open until 8:30pm, but that's basically a one and done thing
So after 7pm, you've got diddly squat open that isn't the "arcade" in splash (assuming splash is open that day), or the band on the pirate ship. Compared to Phantasialand, where the Ling Bao pool is open until 10pm (no slides but included in the rate), along with the spa as well.
Is there a restaurant in the hotel? Otherwise I just don't see much attraction at all! For thrillseekers who like to be in bed by 9pm?

Sandman

Giga Poster
No idea how to share a Facebook post on here but saw a TPWW post earlier today with a few sneaky Duel pics, and it looks like they're going for a bargain basement theme... cheap nasty stuff. I'm sure someone (ATI) will find and share it soon.

Will

Strata Poster
I was disappointed with Duel, truth be told.
They've done a good job of fixing the lighting effects, but unfortunately, that literally illuminates the fact that there are a number of animatronics still not working. The repaint seems to have consisted of throwing glow in the dark paint at many of the more faded models, giving them a tacky look reminiscent of Southend's Over The Hill. I don't like the new music either - I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I really liked the old track.

Taking pictures inside there is hard (and discouraged) so this is the best I can give you:IMG_6079l.jpg

JSG93 has uploaded a POV to TST - https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/towers-loving-care.3850/page-178#post-216532

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
British Theme Park Archive over on Facebook spoke to one of the peeps behind the refurb of Duel and it sounds like it isn't finished (opened early due to nothing else in the park being open). Seems a bit premature to fully judge the work they've done but making everything brighter is clearly one of their aims so if that makes you think it looks cheap that doesn't sound good. I think with any new soundtrack taking over something well-known it will just take a bit of time to get used to.