What's new

A Round Of Gulf

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Howdy
Its been ages since i wrote a TR so bare with me here. :) I apologise in advance for picture quality. I usually travel with an SLR but as I was travelling fairly light this time i just used my phone.

I decided at some point last year probably while drunk that some of the Gulf states like Kuwait and Bahrain would be a good place to visit and in doing so go ride some coasters. So i booked flights to visit Dubai, Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait. Needless to say when the time came to fly out it at first did not seem like such a great idea.

However i persevered and at 6am one tuesday morning crawled out of bed and headed to Gatwick.

When booking the flights i discovered much to my delight that the cheapest route to Dubai was via Istanbul on Turkish Airways. Delight as A) Turkish Airways are great and B) Istanbul is one of my favourite cities in the world so I booked a couple of nights there as well. The plan was to hit a few parks while I was there as a bonus.

Once i landed in Istanbul I took the metro from the airport and travelled the well worn route to Cheers Hostel. A hostel I have stayed at twice before.
And this is one of the main reasons why i stay there. The rather awesome view from the rooftop bar.
20180306_192323.jpg
This is the Hagia Sophia and i urge anyone in Istanbul to go visit and wander round. Its right next to the Blue Mosque and they are both truely stunning to have a look around. The Basilica Cistern is just over the road as well and is a must see.

Following a rather heavy night which involved a rather large number of ill advised shots I decided the next morning to strike out to ViaSea.

ViaSea
ViaSea is the 3rd park in Istanbul under the Via Name after Via Crazy Park and Via Land. I sort of knew ViaLand would be shut but the website for Sea doesnt have opening hours and Google suggested it would be open so I went for it.

From Central Istanbul ViaSea is a easy to get to but it just takes time. About an hour and 40mins. Eventually the metro will reach all the way out to the park but currently you need to get on the M4 metro line heading east all the way to the end and from outside the station you can jump on a bus that takes you almost directly to the park.

Once I arrived I was immediatly struck by Cred anxiety as i didnt see or hear anything running.
Turns out there was a reason for that. It was shut!!
20180307_133250.jpg
While not entirely unexpected It was a bit of a kick in the balls. I wandered around the outisde of the park and took some pictures before heading into the Aquarium to ask the single staff member if the park would open this evening. nope. Dammit. It was interesting to note I was not the only person to turn up to find the park shut. 2 Families turned up while I was in there and asked the same question. Something a decent information section on the website would stop happening.

Anyhow here are some pictures i took of some very shut Intamin rides and an SBF spinner.
20180307_132553.jpg 20180307_132616.jpg
This is Red Fire a very closed Ispeed Clone. :(

20180307_132934.jpg 20180307_133021.jpg 20180307_133029.jpg 20180307_133130.jpg
The Intamin mine train here is a clone of Mine Train Ulven at Bakken and the Happy Valley Shanghai Mine Train.
The station has for some reason a load of Chickens living under it.
20180307_141011.jpg
The third coaster is this SBF spinner. Such a spite!
20180307_133158.jpg

It was now near midday so i went over the street into the actually very pleasent ViaPort shopping area and grabbed some lunch before heading back to Istanbul and opting to head to Moi Park

Moi Park

Moi Park is another new park in Istanbul and is located within the Mall of Istanbul. Reaching the park again involved a transfer from Metro to Bus at the Ulubatli station. After watching 2 full buses drive past I was almost ready to call it a day but the third bus had room and I headed off to Moi Park packed in like a sardine.

The park is just inside the entrance to the Mall and features a unique Zamperla spinning coaster. The ride uses trains usually seen on the Zamperla wild mice but on a much more interesting layout.
20180307_165534.jpg 20180307_165720.jpg 20180307_165938.jpg 20180307_165942.jpg 20180307_170104.jpg
The ride was surprisingly OK considering. Its not going to win any awards but the spinning was bareable and it tracked pretty well. It is fairly short but its in a confined space so I can forgive it that.

The 2nd coaster at the park is this small junior coaster. I had heard adults had had trouble getting this credit but I walked straight on. Being pretty much the only person in the park (a theme that would continue this trip) probably helped as the op looked bored out of his mind.
20180307_165904.jpg
Overall the park is nicely themed and one of the better small Mall parks out there. Its worth a visit if you are in the area Theres a number of small flats including an Air Race and a ghost train which i skipped as it was getting quite late and i had a date with some beer.
20180307_170004.jpg
So i headed out of the park and jumped on the Bus/Train/Tram combo back to my hostel and enjoyed an evening with many less shots than the night before.

Day 2 was going to be Vialand but I checked with one of the local tourist shops and found as i expected the park was shut. No worries I had a flight to Dubai late that day so spent the day ambling round one of the most interesting cities in the world. Cant really complain.

Next up Dubai.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What a shame! Especially the Intamin! :(

This'll be a good one to read - I'm pleased to know you do actually go to parks as well as research them. :p

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
After a chilled day in Istanbul i had a late night flight to Dubai. The inflight entertainment had some interesting choices.
20180308_190903.jpg
I was landing at 1am and with it being a Friday the Metro didnt start till around 10 so i decided to book an airport hotel room and head off for the day around midday.
I ended up getting a taxi to my hostel for that night so i could store my rucksack before heading into town. I am glad I did. The view from this hostel was incredible. The hostel is on the 66th floor and near the end of the palm.
20180309_120552.jpg 20180309_120610.jpg
Just a couple of pictures from the drive.
20180309_112420.jpg
The picture frame. Somewhere I didnt end up going but somewhere on the list for next time
20180309_113427.jpg
Rowen Atkinson is big here. Litterally.
20180309_123208.jpg
Love the building on the left here. But makes me wonder if the crazy angles inside make putting in furniture a pain in the arse.
Having wandered around the hostel area i jumped on the metro and headed for a trip to the worlds tallest building.
I got horribly lost in the enromous mall at the base of the tower for quite some time. (Seriously the signage in this place is terrible) I did manage to find my way out to the big fountain show and lake outside though. Because you know the best thing to do with a scarse resource like fresh water in the desert is to fire it into the air in easy to evapourate particulate form.

20180309_134257.jpg 20180309_135154.jpg 20180309_135359.jpg
After doing a complete unplanned loop of the Burj I made it a just in time for my 2pm ticket and headed up to the 124th floor.
20180309_134205.jpg
I've been up many an observarion deck but i couldnt help be a little dissapointed by the observation area here. Its main selling point is obviously that its really really tall but compared to decks like the ones at the Taipei 101 or Willis Tower is just wasnt that interesting. The fairly bland view of Dubai doesnt really help but oh well its one to tick off.
20180309_143452.jpg 20180309_143551.jpg 20180309_144036.jpg
I had planned to take it easy this afternoon but as I was down this end of the city i decided to head to IMG Adventure World which would free up some extra time on Sunday.
20180309_154438.jpg
Amusing to see the old Dubailand sculpture is still here.

IMG WORLDS OF ADVENTURE
It was about a 20min trip out to IMG. When I was arrived the park while certainly not busy wasn't as dead as some people have reported. Rides like the Haunted Castle has queues up to 40mins and I saw Predator and Velociraptor pass 25mins a few times while I was there. Some rides were still walk ons though and this may have been more to do with operations than anything else.

To stave off the Cred Anxiety i headed straight to Velocitraptor.
20180309_161514.jpg
20180309_171525.jpg
Somehow this is my first Blue Fire clone. These rides seem to get a lot of stick but I really can't see why. Sure the launch isnt as strong or good as the Intamin equivilent but the layouts good with some solid forces especially through the loop/MCBR section. I wasn't a huge fan of the hangtime in the roll at the end but all in all a very very good ride.
Just inside was Predator a Gerstlauer 320+ model and a clone of Rage. Not much to say here. They are ok rides but wont blow you away.
20180309_163153.jpg 20180309_163255.jpg 20180309_165924.jpg
Quite why Mountain Dew sponder this i have no idea.
Finally i moseyed on over to Spiderman a clone of Sierra Sidewinder at Knotts. Although due to the indoor nature of the ride you would be hard pressed to tell that. I love Sierra Sidewinder and it was no different here. One of the better spinning coaster layouts out there.
20180309_163623.jpg
I then proceeded to have a look around the rest of the park. The Avengers Sim is solid if uninspired. The Dinosaur Indiana Jones Style ride is weak sauce but it made me laugh. I skipped the Hulk Simulator.
20180309_165839.jpg
Haribo Vending Machine!
20180309_163218.jpg 20180309_163202.jpg 20180309_165039.jpg 20180309_165756.jpg 20180309_172509.jpg 20180309_172720.jpg
Overall IMG is a really nice park. Its up there with Lotte World for best indoor park I've been to. However i feel right now its just missing that killer coaster. All 3 coasters are good. But all ar clones and none are world knockout class like Flying Aces down the road. However with the tripling in size of the park due to happen sooner rather than later it seems they are working on this.

I had a quick wander around outside to get some pictures of Velociraptors layout
20180309_173749.jpg 20180309_173758.jpg 20180309_173813.jpg
I jumped in a cab to go the very short distance to Global Village. Unfortunatly my phone was now on 5% and I needed it to try and explain where to go to my Taxi driver home later so I'm Afraid i didnt take any shots inside GV. (A situation that happned several times this trip thanks to my power brick dying an untimely death apparently while sat in a drawer between my last trip and this one)

The park is really weird. Kind of like World Showcase at Epcot with added shopping. Some of the pavillions are gorgeous. But to be honest I was here for the creds and it was getting late. The good news is after being spited by one SBF spinner in Turkey i finally got one here. Hooray.
The 2nd coaster is London Loop a Vekoma Rebound junior boomerang. If you've been to Paultons you know what to expect. A solid family ride and a good time all round. I didnt spend more than an hour at Global Village but as its right next to IMG it was worth the visit for a +2.

I had an early start the next day as I needed to make it to Abu Dhabi for the YAS Island parks.

Dubaidave

Hyper Poster
Interestingly enough. The lake at the bottom of the burj khalifa is entirely made up of recycled water from the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Interestingly enough. The lake at the bottom of the burj khalifa is entirely made up of recycled water from the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not know that. Thats kind of cool.

I will carry on this TR but I'm away again this week so I'm afraid there will be a Haitus. Dont worry boring opinions of the regions many Mall coasters and my first ever Pax will be on their way shortly