What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Really? Looking at the photos showing the cladding which has been installed so far, I think it'll at least look interesting, along with some of the park's other buildings. Definitely better than just plain black at least.

Lofty

CF Legend
Bamboo can be used on trellis as climbing plants - wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to cover it in climbing plants, if so, that'll be pretty beautiful. Don't forget that Liseberg did that with Helix, and Liseberg/Blackpool Pleasure Beach are constantly in discussions, sharing ideas back and forth.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I like that idea - especially at a park like BPB where there's not huge amounts of greenery.
Increase plant life + hide basic station. It's a win IMO

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here are a few more shots of Icon by Theme Park Worldwide:-
28516530_2355935561099059_1787065948581688837_o.jpg

28515994_2355935577765724_3187732284011420345_o.jpg

28827043_2355935607765721_2747198851780808606_o.jpg

The cladding on the station is progressing nicely:-
28616457_2355940804431868_7045233813731439746_o.jpg

I look forward to seeing the station completed.

Dar

Hyper Poster

I think this going to be a pretty cool place to watch the ride from, seeing the train dive into tunnel and then fly up the immelmann as the other train speeds out of the tunnel <3

With the cladding on the station, isn't that stuff easier to attach stuff too? Gives them a bit more flexibilty, while also breaking up the solid colour behind any themeing.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Nice little pop at Theme Park Worldwide at the end there :)

Can't wait to see some testing footage, got to be happening anytime now?

Scott88

Hyper Poster
^ Nice little pop at Theme Park Worldwide at the end there :)

Can't wait to see some testing footage, got to be happening anytime now?
I think testing starts anytime from now, but don't know for sure.

I don't see the point in filming anymore 'construction updates' now without testing footage, I think just about everything else has been covered.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Taken from Mack's Facebook page:

"Safe travels! It’s the last time those cars are leaving us and the next time they definitely will be much faster on the track of ICON at Blackpool Pleasure Beach!"

28795660_10156172391043493_3114137681715805381_n.jpg

Reactions: JSM

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I just watched a POV of Helix. It doesn't have the interactions Icon will have, but isn't the track layout better? It seems to have more exciting elements and turns. It'd be a shame if this couldn't beat it's sister rides in terms of quality.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Helix and Icon will be very different in many respects. It will come down to personal preference on which is the better coaster.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Helix and Icon will be very different in many respects. It will come down to personal preference on which is the better coaster.

Do you think they'll be in the same league though? I haven't a clue really, but interested to see what people think.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I just watched a POV of Helix. It doesn't have the interactions Icon will have, but isn't the track layout better? It seems to have more exciting elements and turns. It'd be a shame if this couldn't beat it's sister rides in terms of quality.

Obviously it comes down to personal preference and all that jazz. Personally I think the turns on Icon look better than those on Helix. The layout is a lot tighter and stays at a relatively similar height throughout (except straight after each launch). What Helix seems to have in abundance is larger airtime moments and bigger drops with a combination of inversions. I still think Icon (post-2nd launch) looks more comparable to Taron... not that it will be anywhere close in terms of intensity. To be honest, Icon is exciting because I don't really think it's that similar to any of the other Mack launchers (layout wise).

Smithy

Strata Poster
If you put the two coasters on a plain parking lot, Helix wins hands down for me.

I think a lot of the interactions on Icon will be immense and part of what makes the ride punch above it's weight, but I don't think it'll beat Helix, not for me at least.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
I haven't ridden Helix but I think it looks to probably be a better all round ride, the airtime and inversions and other elements seem really well balanced. However I think Icon definitely looks to have snappier transitions, especially in the second half, and those interactions will be great. I imagine most will rate Helix higher but I don't think it'll be leagues ahead like some people seem to think.