What's new

Best and Worst restraint?

Best Lap Bar: Over-the-Head/Clamshell (Intamin, B&M, Mack, Vekoma, Gerstlauer, Zamperla; so damn comfy even when stapled; manufacturer doesn't matter; using the right technique, you can get great room), Intamin T-Bar (free as hell and are comfy), Buzz Bar (super duper open and allow for some truly insane airtime, as is the case for PNE Playland's Coaster)
Best OTSR: Arrow/S&S 4D Butterfly OTSR (adjusts to your height/body shape and is comfy), Vests (B&M wing/invert/dive, Vekoma, Intamin; just give yourself enough room and they're very comfy; B&M flyer not included as when I rode Tatsu, it felt weird that there was too much space); honorable mention: B&M/Intamin invert over-the-shoulder restraint (you can oftentimes get a good amount of room on them)

Worst Lap Bar: Premier "Comfort" Collars (neck banging is very likely and they are not comfortable at all; it's under the lap bar section because the main restraint is a lap bar); somewhat dishonorable mention: RMC lap bar (only one side has a grab bar and I like using them to measure G-forces on my Apple Watch and to prevent the lap bar from coming down throughout the ride)
Worst OTSR: Arrow/Vekoma Loopscrew/MK-1200/Boomerang OTSR (even though people say it is worse for taller people (I'm a 5' 6" 13-year-old), during these rides' poor transitions, I bang my jaw against them, and man they hurt!)

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Best: B&M Clamshell
Worst: RMC thigh murderer

Just love the clamshells they're pretty much perfect in terms of comfort and rider freedom. I've never enjoyed a ride on an RMC thanks to those awful restraints though. Just ditch them entirely and start again.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
I do love the modern Intamin over the head lapbars that are on their LSM coasters and the like.

Worst? Besides stuff that can barely be called a restraint (Volare) I'd say Premier Skyrocket trains. No, not comfort collars, I haven't experienced those. The standard lapbars on those trains are awful and you'd have to be really underweight and below average height to be comfortable. Preferably have short legs, and no shins.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm still in the season of "respect the 90s classics": B&M OTSR, B&M Clamshell, and Intamin T-bar are all simple restraint designs that feel hard to innovate further from.

Worst? The Premier Comfort Collar. It’s fascinating how horribly regressive Premier’s design is, when so many other, better OTSRs are out there.

Changa

Mega Poster
Best: Mack lap bars

Worst: Maurer Lap Bars. One time, G-Force's lap bar lowered after the loop on my diaphragm and I was struggling to breathe for an uncomfortably long time. I've had a grudge ever since.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Best: It's between the B&M Clamshells and the New-gen Intamin lap bars for me.

Worst: Vekoma SLCs (Infusion/Kumali). Such an awful design.

Best:
RMC IBox/Topper Track
New Gen Intamin Multilaunch
GCI Millennium Flyer
Arrow 4D
Gerstluer/B&M Clamshell

Worst:
B&M Vest
Arrow Over the Shoulder
Gravity Group Timberliner
Zamperla Moto Coaster
Premier "Comfort Collars"